Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 05:55 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
There is no lobby in Canada that cares about making money off Ukraine. Its because Ukraine and Russia don't have strong enough democracy that oligarchs rule the land. Their interest is tied to being in power. Canadian and American wealth isn't created by corrupt connections to the government and paying the right bribes to those who have power. Canada has taken an interest in Ukraine the same reason the US has, to defend their sovereign rights and aid them in transition to a country that isn't ruled by corruption.

There is also a security component to this issue. Like with Germany, we are against letting Russia expand by force ever again. No country should be doing that
there's so much wrong with this post I don't know where to start. So I won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 06:27 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Not just "large Ukrainian population," but very specifically WESTERN Ukrainian population to begin with.

"During the nineteenth century the territory inhabited by Ukrainians in Europe was divided between the Austro-Hungarian and Russian empires. The Austrian crownlands of Galicia and Bukovyna were home to many Ukrainian speakers. Austrian Galicia was one of the poorest and most overpopulated regions in Europe, and had experienced a series of blights and famines. Emigration on a large scale from Galicia to the Balkans (the north-south border region between Croatia and Bosnia) and even to Brazil was already underway by 1891."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Canadians

That's why their organizations in Canada were always anti-Russian, pushing for 'independent Ukraine," falsely
projecting the Western Ukrainian identity on the rest of the country.
Which they continue to do today.
I can say, this is something I actually know quite well. Among this region's Ukrainians, the later waves of immigrants (e.g., including those who had lived in the USSR) were the more anti-Russian segment of the Ukrainian diaspora. They were the displaced people. Those Ukrainian-Americans in the Philadelphia region who had come to this country prior to the influx of DPs were "pro-Ukrainian, pro-Russian [...] pro-Soviet Ukraine." These were the earliest Ukrainians who came to this region. These were the same people who also settled western Canada in large numbers. There was a big divide between the older Ukrainians and the newcomers, at least in Philadelphia around the 1950s timeframe. The DPs were anti-Soviet and anti-Russian.

Source - Ukrainians of Greater Philadelphia - https://books.google.com/books?isbn=073855040X

But of course, this speaks to a deeper issue. You ignore the issue of why western Ukrainians are so allegedly anti-Russian. Why do you treat that as their intrinsic nature? Western Ukrainians would have had no reason to be anti-Russian in the late 19th century. They would have had far more reason to be anti-Polish. They are anti-Russian TODAY, but they WERE NOT in the late 19th century. By and large, not so. In fact, organized Russophilia was present in western Ukraine during the time of Austro-Hungarian rule. (See: Russophiles of Galicia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russophiles_of_Galicia)

The reason that Russophilia has disappeared in the last century and a half from western Ukraine is the actions of the Soviet Union and modern Russia.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:10 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I can say, this is something I actually know quite well. Among this region's Ukrainians, the later waves of immigrants (e.g., including those who had lived in the USSR) were the more anti-Russian segment of the Ukrainian diaspora. They were the displaced people. Those Ukrainian-Americans in the Philadelphia region who had come to this country prior to the influx of DPs were "pro-Ukrainian, pro-Russian [...] pro-Soviet Ukraine." These were the earliest Ukrainians who came to this region. These were the same people who also settled western Canada in large numbers. There was a big divide between the older Ukrainians and the newcomers, at least in Philadelphia around the 1950s timeframe. The DPs were anti-Soviet and anti-Russian.

Source - Ukrainians of Greater Philadelphia - https://books.google.com/books?isbn=073855040X

But of course, this speaks to a deeper issue. You ignore the issue of why western Ukrainians are so allegedly anti-Russian. Why do you treat that as their intrinsic nature? Western Ukrainians would have had no reason to be anti-Russian in the late 19th century. They would have had far more reason to be anti-Polish. They are anti-Russian TODAY, but they WERE NOT in the late 19th century. By and large, not so. In fact, organized Russophilia was present in western Ukraine during the time of Austro-Hungarian rule. (See: Russophiles of Galicia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russophiles_of_Galicia)

The reason that Russophilia has disappeared in the last century and a half from western Ukraine is the actions of the Soviet Union and modern Russia.
Sorry I am not sure what "DPs" are, but what Philadelphia got to do with it?
We are talking about Ukrainian diaspora in Canada in this case, which in its very foundation, originally was from Western Ukraine.
And obviously, since Western provinces were not in Russian Empire, but lived in misery in their coveted *Europe* - -i.e. Austrian Empire, why would they have the anti-Russian sentiment at that point?
And I understand that their "anti-Russian sentiment" came in place during Soviet times, but who cares - Soviet system was what ultimately saved Russia from the imminent destruction, so boo-hoo. Particularly the way Western Ukraine acted during the WWII, siding with Hitler's Germany and executing Jews.
In fact recently I learned while at that, these retards killed one of the most brilliant and successful Soviet commanders during the WWII - N. Vatutin.

So these western provinces of Ukraine breed nothing but trouble, yet they are good for nothing as far as I can see...

Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,587,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
This lyrics was written in 1996 by a Russian poet about Russia. Upsetting thing is that it now applies to Ukraine.

https://youtu.be/BXNYseUnJ7M
Sorry I tuned out Russian music etc. long time ago. Russian present proved it to be impotent and irrelevant, I mean the music with some sort of pretences, most of the Russian music is sickening tertiary garbage, I bet they play it in Hell a lot.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:08 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Sorry I tuned out Russian music etc. long time ago. Russian present proved it to be impotent and irrelevant, I mean the music with some sort of pretences, most of the Russian music is sickening tertiary garbage, I bet they play it in Hell a lot.
Oh they sure do. Here it is, (just in case you've missed it first time around.)
So crank it up, enjoy)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXne7n9vt8s&t=27s

Old 10-18-2017, 12:16 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Do you understand Russian language?

Old 10-18-2017, 02:50 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
A new coup is being prepared. Stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qeAqW5U8zg

Old 10-18-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
A new coup is being prepared. Stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qeAqW5U8zg
So, one group of oligarchs is discontent with the power arrangements. Rest assured that this time if anything happens a lot more blood will flow in the gutters.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

Thank you. It makes sense. Ukrainians or more specifically Galacians of the western regions of Ukraine have been screwed over by their neighbors for a long time. Poles, Austrians, Soviets you name it. I can see why they're pissed off.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:01 PM

Another Chernobyl?

https://orientalreview.org/2017/10/1...yl-in-ukraine/

Does anyone know anything about the source of the coal being brought to Ukraine? I heard it's not Pennsylvania coal but Donbass coal shipped in from Novorossicks. At $113 a ton. That's a hell of a price for energy independence. If you can call it energy independence at all. Damn it must hurt to think like that ffs.

Through Tears, Ukraine Celebrates the Arrival of US Coal – Observer

Ocean Ambitious was in Novorossisk recently according to Marine Tracker. To pick up Donbas coal for Ukraine? At $113 a ton?

Anyone know how to use Marine Tracker better than I do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe