Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 01:02 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Would you care to ask Polish authorities, why Poland has shortage of people?
How are the economic conditions in the country? How is the birth rate? ( Hint - under atrocious Soviet regime, the population was growing.)
How is the migration out of the country? Is it low? Is it high?
Ask "Polish authorities" all these questions, and you might be surprised to learn, why Poland is all of a sudden open for influx of Ukrainians.
Good one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 02:15 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
Would you care to ask Polish authorities, why Poland has shortage of people?
How are the economic conditions in the country? How is the birth rate? ( Hint - under atrocious Soviet regime, the population was growing.)
How is the migration out of the country? Is it low? Is it high?
Ask "Polish authorities" all these questions, and you might be surprised to learn, why Poland is all of a sudden open for influx of Ukrainians.
Poland's economy and demographics are FAR better than Russia, that is for sure. Warsaw has a much higher standard of living than Moscow. Ukrainians would rather be there than Moscow, but that's even true of Kiev.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:21 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Poland's economy and demographics are FAR better than Russia, that is for sure. Warsaw has a much higher standard of living than Moscow. Ukrainians would rather be there than Moscow, but that's even true of Kiev.
You are missing the point.
As usual.
Forget about Russia for a second - it's not about Russia, it's about Poland, ( where Ukrainians are escaping in droves out of desperation,) so here it goes;

"There are two main reasons for Poland’s population decline: low birth rates and a continued emigration. Is this irreversible? Is there a way to slow down the aging and stabilize the population level?

On average, a Polish woman has 1.3 children: it would take 2.1 to replace generations. And demography works in waves. There are about 3.2 million women between 25 and 35 years old today, in the most procreation-friendly period of their lives. But because fertility fell in the 1990s, there are only 1.8 million girls between 5 and 15, the potential mothers of the next generation: even if they all were to have 2.1 children, this would not suffice to stop the demographic decline… "

Poland: Aging and the Economy

Now pay attention - their fertility went down at the same time when Russia experienced its worst demographic gap - i.e. the nineties. And since it's this "dead" generation born in those years is coming now in child-bearing age, Russia will experience demographic gap yet again.
The reason for this demographic gap is obvious - it's the economy, the change of it, the abandonment of welfare state, and embracement of "free market" economy. Under the "free market" economy ( read "cut throat capitalism" that Americans brought to Russia,) the collapse of demography followed naturally, since Russian women being uncertain of economic situation, refuse to give birth to children. Why? Because throughout the Soviet times, ( at least) they were relying on themselves to raise the children ( and state of course)- not on men. Those are the cultural traits, so once Soviet system with its security net has been removed, the demographics plunged accordingly. Because unlike Middle Easterners and Africans that keep on popping up babies no matter what economy is, Slavic women respond to it directly. (I am saying "Slavic" in this case, because it looks like it's not only Russian women reacted this way, but Polish women as well, judging by the drop in their demographics within the same time frame, in the nineties.)
And the wheel keeps on turning since then, directing money in one, and one direction only - concentrating the wealth in few "leading" countries, and within those countries - in fewer and fewer hands.
The "Polish government" is sitting there to oversee and assure this process. But under this process, the Poles will essentially continue to die out/leave the country, and hapless Ukrainians are next in line to replace them.

And NOW I can mention Russia; the way it relates to this whole situation.
Under the agreements of the nineties, the "Russian government" supported ( and appointed by American government,) was supposed to oversee this flow of events, but things took unexpected turn, with arrival of Putin on a scene, and growing appetites of the Russia's "new rich," who were INITIALLY bound to bow to American financial interests.
And as usual with Russians, things don't follow the "prescribed script" now.
Increasingly so.

Last edited by erasure; 04-13-2018 at 04:09 PM..

Old 04-13-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
You are missing the point.
As usual.
Forget about Russia for a second - it's not about Russia, it's about Poland, ( where Ukrainians are escaping in droves out of desperation,) so here it goes;

"There are two main reasons for Poland’s population decline: low birth rates and a continued emigration. Is this irreversible? Is there a way to slow down the aging and stabilize the population level?

On average, a Polish woman has 1.3 children: it would take 2.1 to replace generations. And demography works in waves. There are about 3.2 million women between 25 and 35 years old today, in the most procreation-friendly period of their lives. But because fertility fell in the 1990s, there are only 1.8 million girls between 5 and 15, the potential mothers of the next generation: even if they all were to have 2.1 children, this would not suffice to stop the demographic decline… "

Poland: Aging and the Economy

Now pay attention - their fertility went down in the same time when Russia experienced its worst demographic gap - i.e. the nineties. And since it's this "dead" generation born in those years is coming now in child-bearing age, Russia will experience demographic gap yet again.
The reason for this demographic gap is obvious - it's the economy, the change of it, the abandonment of welfare state, and embracement of "free market" economy. Under the "free market" economy ( read "cut throat capitalism" that Americans brought to Russia,) the collapse of demography followed naturally, since Russian women being uncertain of economic situation, refuse to give birth to children. Why? Because throughout the Soviet times, ( at least) they were relying on themselves to raise the children ( and state of course)- not on men. Those are the cultural traits, so once Soviet system with its security net has been removed, the demographics plunged accordingly. Because unlike Middle Easterners and Africans, that keep on popping up babies no matter what economy is, Slavic women respond to it directly. (I am saying "Slavic" in this case, because it looks like it's not only Russian women reacted this way, but Polish women as well, judging by the drop in their demographics within the same time frame, in the nineties.)
And the wheel keeps on turning since then, directing money in one, and one direction only - concentrating the wealth in few "leading" countries, and within those countries - in fewer and fewer hands.
The "Polish government" is sitting there to oversee and assure the process. But under this process, the Poles will essentially continue to die out/leave the country, and hapless Ukrainians are next in line to replace them.

And NOW I can mention Russia; the way it relates to this whole situation.
Under the agreements of the nineties, the "Russian government" supported ( and appointed) by American government was supposed to oversee this flow of events, but things took unexpected turn, with arrival of Putin on a scene, and growing appetites of the Russia's "new rich," who were INITIALLY bound to bow to American financial interests.
And as usual with Russians, things don't follow the "prescribed script" now.
Increasingly so.

...not to mention the fact that his claim about Poland doing so much better than Russia is...bunk....OECD data (it must be a Russian propaganda outlet!!)

2016 data (so the effects of Crimea sanctions are already baked in where Poland probably already gets full benefits and transfer from the EU)

OECD Better Life Index

OECD Better Life Index

....add the fact that GDP, adjusted for PPP, puts Russia in 6th place and Poland at 24th place (data from another Russia outlet, the IMF ) meaning that one dollar goes much further in Russia than in Poland.......

Sure, Poland is a more equal nation, on average, than Russia....less billionaires!!!

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-13-2018 at 04:08 PM..

Old 04-13-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...not to mention the fact that his claim about Poland doing so much better than Russia is...bunk....OECD data (it must be a Russian propaganda outlet!!)

2016 data (so the effects of Crimea sanctions are already baked in where Poland probably already gets full benefits and transfer from the EU)

OECD Better Life Index

OECD Better Life Index

....add the fact that GDP, adjusted for PPP, puts Russia in 6th place and Poland at 24th place (data from another Russia outlet, the IMF ) meaning that one dollar goes much further in Russia than in Poland.......

Sure, Poland is a more equal nation, on average, than Russia....less billionaires!!!
Really? IMF and OECD data indicates that?
I didn't expect it all ( minus the billionaires of course)))

Old 04-13-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Really? IMF and OECD data indicates that?
I didn't expect it all ( minus the billionaires of course)))
Read for yourself....or just take a trip to Moscow and Warsaw....not noticeable quality of life differences...

Old 04-13-2018, 05:31 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
MW is not European
That's not entirely true. I come from a mixed background. One that involves both an Italian and Serbo-Croatian heritage. Just because I myself never lived in Europe doesn't mean I don't have any family members still there, however distant they may be. I have been to both Croatia and Serbia multiple times and am still able to speak and read the language, to a certain extent. My Italian language skills are non-existent however. Most Americans/Canadians came from Europe at the end of the day and many still have ties to the Old World.
Being Canadian doesn't exempt me from that heritage.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Read for yourself....or just take a trip to Moscow and Warsaw....not noticeable quality of life differences...
I am reading, I am looking into it ( since obviously I didn't look into it earlier,) and...

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/201.../pove-j11.html

I am familiar with Moscow of course, but some of the scenes puzzled me - first I thought it was MOSCOW, but the pics say it's Warsaw actually..?

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/poverty%2Cwarsaw

And in this wiki article on poverty in Poland this is what strikes me, cutting through the rest of clap-trap;

" Overall, families are more dependent on state assistance than before the transition, with family allowance and unemployment benefits being most important in reducing inequality.[26]

There is a widespread perception of widening wealth gap in Poland, although Rutkowski (1998) argues that it has more to do with social structure changes than actual gap in income distribution.[26]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_Poland

The "transition" I assume is a post-Soviet one.
So what do I see here?
You are supposedly doing OK as a single person, but once you decide to have children ( god forbids more than one) - you can't have ends meet?
Which it tells me one and one thing only: we want to have you as a WORKER, contributing to the flow of wealth ( in one and one direction only, as I've already said,) but we are not interested in your procreation.
And since money clearly dictate demographic policies, I find it rather peculiar, that the changes orchestrated by the US in the nineties, clearly marked Eastern Europeans for gradual extermination.
Yet at the same time, I see the increasing ( and encouraged by people in power) presence of Middle Easterners and Africans in Europe.
By the way the same trend more or less is happening in the US as well - but may be with a bigger variety of "replacing" material, when it comes to the gradual replacement of *White Americans.*

Things that make you go "hmmm..."

Old 04-13-2018, 05:40 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
A truly must hear for everybody that wants to understand the Ukraine situation and how it does dovetail in the EU framework....do yourself a favor and watch this really fantastic video where in one shot you can get historical, economic and geopolitical perspective.

If you do not know or understand these dynamics, you will be wandering in the dark at the mercy of whatever the media tell you.

"The new confrontation with Russia: Is the EU the continuation of Germany by other means?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CNeDtZmpjU
Not this again. Don't tell me that you believe that the EU is just another way for Germany to take over Europe after losing two world wars. Germany has done a lot of great things for Europe and has become one of the most prosperous countries in the world as a result.

Considering that both Germany and Japan were on the losing side, they are doing great theses days.

I get the impression that you dislike the EU and want it to break apart so that each country regains it's own currency as well as control of it's own borders.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:43 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:

You are comparing total national GDP instead of per capita. Russia is in 48th place and Poland, 44. It used to be interesting to debate you but lately...

PPP is a good way to close the gap and pretend that the average 600 a month in Moscow is somehow the same (or better LOL) than the average 2000 salary in Warsaw. But it's not. Having a number of billionaires who steal all the national resources isn't really a mark of pride in civilized nations. Even if it does help hide the gap in median household incomes.

The rest of your comparisons don't show things the way you claim either. In no meaningful measurement is your average Russian better off than your average Pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe