Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 01:00 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
P.S. I wonder whether they are going to call yet another *emergency meeting* in the UN on this subject, now that Putin is mulling an extended offer.
I don't know whether the "opportunity in the east" is really rising or what, but during the latest meeting in the UN on a subject ( called by the *alarmed Ukrainians,*) Nebenzya ( Russian rep.,) asked (very rightfully so,) why there were no hysterics when the Hungarians/Romanians were giving out passports to THEIR minorities living in Ukraine, ( not to mention the "Polish card" that's given right and left to Ukrainians of the Western provinces. ) Because the "successful economic reforms" organized by the IMF left Poland half-empty, and now they need Ukrainian workers apparently.

( I am not sure how many Poles Brexit will send back home though, after all is said and done, and whether their spots will be taken by hapless Ukrainians by then.)

The point being however, is that back in 2014, after the coup, the Nationalist Ukrainians were yelling at the Easterners ( or anyone who dared to resist the new regime) "Suitcase, railway-station, Russia."
To which by now Russians from the South-East are responding; "Bundle, horse-cart, Poland."

So I am not all that sure that it's all about "opportunities in Russia" with those passport offers. Particularly that from what I know, Ukrainians are not required to give up their Ukrainian passports while acquiring the Russian ones..
As I said, there's some real issues concerning human rights and states/government rights. Do Ukrainians have a right to immigrate to Russia if they choose? If they leave by the trainload then if enough go what is going to happen to Ukraine? Tax revenue will plummet, there will be shortages of labor and basic services will become unsustainable without people to pay the bills.

Those opportunities in Russia have to do with the expansion of industrial infrastructure in the coming decades due to the expansion of the SRI northward and the development of the Arctic and other areas. Something that no one was following these last few years that recently came to light because of the fire is there are a lot of pioneers out in Siberia so some aspects of the program for settling people are there. Russias reaction to that disaster is a responsive and constructive one. If people head there to start a new life only to have it wiped out and be left with nothing then it's not good for anyone. It would be a true disaster if the Russian government were to simply walk away from them. It would be an act of a government that does not deserve to rule anything.

I feel the Ukrainian government has crossed that line. They have no right to rule the country, the people suffer economically, there's not much of a future for anyone. They attacked their own citizens and people die to this day because they cannot bring themselves to admit their idiocy. They call their own people scum and terrorists just because those people disagreed with what happened in 2014. The state of Ukraine today only shows other how not to run a country.

In the face of such things I can see Ukrainians leaving, many more than have already left if Russia were to do it right. If Russia sees that people are the heart in any type of endeavor and invest in those people prudently then it will pay off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 01:02 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,859 times
Erasure I hate your heroes bandits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUj6C1EBVLA

Old 04-28-2019, 01:05 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,859 times
Glory to Ukraine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94D7bs4Ddbs

Old 04-28-2019, 02:34 PM

In addition to post 12561.

Russia has been encouraging people to move to Siberia for a long time. Russia is also prepared to back up those people who take the chance.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/...s-mount-a65384

Quote:
During his stop in Chita on the way to the Far East capital of Vladivostok for the North Korean summit, Putin ordered Osipov to draw up a disaster relief package by May 10.

Osipov said he plans to ask for public funding to pay out the victims by June 15, restore the land to habitable levels by July 1 and rebuild destroyed houses by Oct. 15.

April and May are considered wildfire season in Siberia and the Russian Far East. Each spring, Zabaikalsky region declares a state of emergency as a precaution against the fires.
A legitimate government helps and protects its people. It doesn't declare war on them.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:02 PM

1,348 posts, read 624,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Idiots.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:44 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Erasure I hate your heroes bandits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=-phyigk3dwU

Tell the Angels

It’s time to leave, it’s time for the new songs
This world became too small for the romanticists
It’s time to leave in order to return.
We’ll let the others step in,
We don’t mind at all.

Tell the angels that we are already gone,
We were waiting for them, but perished on our way
There were not enough of earthly paths for everyone,
We were praying so hard, but still we had to leave.
Ask angels to save our souls,
We pass to them our tracks that have grown cold;
The earthly sinners, overpowered by the unforgiveness
And disapproving glance of God almighty from above.

Time to go, the nightfall is already here
And the streams of souls are going up in the sky,
Carrying the vagrants with them.
All the prayers will slip like sand through the fingers,
Time for the new songs, time to bid farewell.
Time to go, following the sun.
But after the dusk, the dawn will follow
And we’ll burst into the new day like that new song;
Time to go now, but we’ll return.

P.S. I feel particularly sorry for Zakhar, who fell just few months short before the major turn of events, something he was hoping for.

But they did their job.
It was not in vain.

Last edited by erasure; 04-29-2019 at 01:08 AM..

Old 04-29-2019, 12:15 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
As I said, there's some real issues concerning human rights and states/government rights. Do Ukrainians have a right to immigrate to Russia if they choose? If they leave by the trainload then if enough go what is going to happen to Ukraine? Tax revenue will plummet, there will be shortages of labor and basic services will become unsustainable without people to pay the bills.

Those opportunities in Russia have to do with the expansion of industrial infrastructure in the coming decades due to the expansion of the SRI northward and the development of the Arctic and other areas. Something that no one was following these last few years that recently came to light because of the fire is there are a lot of pioneers out in Siberia so some aspects of the program for settling people are there. Russias reaction to that disaster is a responsive and constructive one. If people head there to start a new life only to have it wiped out and be left with nothing then it's not good for anyone. It would be a true disaster if the Russian government were to simply walk away from them. It would be an act of a government that does not deserve to rule anything.

I feel the Ukrainian government has crossed that line. They have no right to rule the country, the people suffer economically, there's not much of a future for anyone. They attacked their own citizens and people die to this day because they cannot bring themselves to admit their idiocy. They call their own people scum and terrorists just because those people disagreed with what happened in 2014. The state of Ukraine today only shows other how not to run a country.

In the face of such things I can see Ukrainians leaving, many more than have already left if Russia were to do it right. If Russia sees that people are the heart in any type of endeavor and invest in those people prudently then it will pay off.

Let me make the long story short - no, Russia does not do that.
And that's why Ukrainians have to choose between "bad" and "worse" under the current circumstances.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:47 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Funny stuff going on here. No, Ukrainians aren't going to line up by the trainload to live in Russia LOL. Why would they give up their freedom for that. They rather enjoy being able to travel to Europe and not be treated with suspicion like Russians. Zelenskiy nails the response, again, and shows disaffected young Russians that normal people can be put into power. A president who doesn't need a clown like Peskov to explain to state run "journalists" how he is thinking.

Putin again has no idea that he just alienated a big chunk of his remaining sympathizers in Ukraine. Maybe he doesn't care but that one man has driven a permanent - as in, no longer generational - wedge between fraternal peoples. What seemed impossible 5 years ago has been accomplished. I'm enjoying the show with my popcorn as I no longer care except I feel sorry for the Donbas people who are suffering as a result. I don't think of them as scum. They are mostly just brainwashed victims more than anything. I hope Ze can reach out to them and if they ever get weened from their Russian TV's it might happen. Not many of them left though so its not really politically important to the other 40 million people in Ukraine whether these die hard 1 million go or not.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Let me make the long story short - no, Russia does not do that.
And that's why Ukrainians have to choose between "bad" and "worse" under the current circumstances.
Are you sure you're looking at this the right way? All the stuff I watch shows me a Russia that is drastically changed in the last 20 years. Yeah, it seems in ways some things have not changed in some places but in others it's like day and night. Those other places are not uncommon either. You can't do everything at once. You can't build a 30 mile paved road with gas line and electricity through the woods for 10 people living in some small houses. It's just not feasible.

What you can do is build infrastructure which creates opportunities for people. America built the railroads, it opened up the west to Americans because it created opportunities which people took advantage of. People are a big part of that and they have to take advantage of those opportunities also.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Funny stuff going on here. No, Ukrainians aren't going to line up by the trainload to live in Russia LOL. Why would they give up their freedom for that. They rather enjoy being able to travel to Europe and not be treated with suspicion like Russians. Zelenskiy nails the response, again, and shows disaffected young Russians that normal people can be put into power. A president who doesn't need a clown like Peskov to explain to state run "journalists" how he is thinking.
Well, they are going to Russia by the train load for work, lol. The ability to travel to Europe right now does not include working, unless illegally. Traveling to Europe visa free is not going to put food on the table, roof over the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Putin again has no idea that he just alienated a big chunk of his remaining sympathizers in Ukraine. Maybe he doesn't care but that one man has driven a permanent - as in, no longer generational - wedge between fraternal peoples. What seemed impossible 5 years ago has been accomplished. I'm enjoying the show with my popcorn as I no longer care except I feel sorry for the Donbas people who are suffering as a result. I don't think of them as scum. They are mostly just brainwashed victims more than anything. I hope Ze can reach out to them and if they ever get weened from their Russian TV's it might happen. Not many of them left though so its not really politically important to the other 40 million people in Ukraine whether these die hard 1 million go or not.
Putin and anything he does will not change anyone's mind. Ze being elected is not a big deal just as Poroshenko being elected was not, and Yanukovich was not. Those who did not vote Ze are the same ones who were the main instigators of revolt and all the hoopla surrounding it.

As for Donbass, it was the largest economic area of Ukraine, and richest outside Kiev, yea, they are not going to want to let that one go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe