Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 11:28 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
On the passport situation in the Donbas. I don't believe those people will ever become part of Ukraine again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dotH9C4l3rE&app=desktop

Well...
There is even more to it.
Here is pan Zelensky greeting Ukrainian troops and referring to Donbass rebels as "scum."
As in "thank you guys for defending us from this scum."

I understand that it was 5 years ago, but Youtube remembers everything.
(And so do many people, people in Donbass with whom Zelensky is planning to "win the info wars" including.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OZI...ature=youtu.be

And if Putin's team in any shape or form analyzed this interview with Ze given back in March to the reps of the various Western Media ( New York Times, Le Figaro, Der Spiegel, Bloomberg and so on,) his key position on "solving the crisis in Donbass" consists of "Volkers' plan" and Americans/Britons "joining the negotiation table."
No wonder Putin proceeded with his plan "B" - the distribution of the Russian passports in DNR/LNR at this point in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls0tv5M6fMs

Last edited by erasure; 04-27-2019 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 11:33 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
I saw that part about Britain and America being at the table. There's no hope then. Looking in that direction the situation may well get worse.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:10 PM

This is just in;

Putin says he may expand Russian citizenship decree to include all Ukrainians

Rotflmao.
Things are getting better and better.
Alec, where are you? The offer is on the table ( well almost)

Old 04-27-2019, 05:45 PM

If they do that it will certainly send a message and if Ukrainians take advantage of it they will set a precedent as yet unseen in modern times. Maybe in history. There is a real conflict between the rights of nations/states and the rights of people in those states. Would Ukrainians have a right to vote with their feet? Many already have and are cleaning toilets in Europe and doing construction labor for low wages which is essentially slave labor.

Russia needs more people, you can't build what they want to build without good people to do it. I bet a lot of Ukrainians will take them up on it. Opportunity is rising in the east.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
If they do that it will certainly send a message and if Ukrainians take advantage of it they will set a precedent as yet unseen in modern times. Maybe in history. There is a real conflict between the rights of nations/states and the rights of people in those states. Would Ukrainians have a right to vote with their feet? Many already have and are cleaning toilets in Europe and doing construction labor for low wages which is essentially slave labor.

Russia needs more people, you can't build what they want to build without good people to do it. I bet a lot of Ukrainians will take them up on it. Opportunity is rising in the east.

I have a different question here though.

So after the puppet regime has been installed in Kiev, and after five years of death and destruction ( O. Tzarev said in his recent interview addressing some smart-a** Russians, who think that Eastern Ukraine doesn't "resist as effectively as it should" - well he said that two thirds of people he used to know and work with, who dared to oppose this new regime are dead by now.)
After the declining living conditions in Ukraine overall as well, after the country voted that it had enough of it all (rabid nationalism including) the current Rada instigated by Poroshenko ( and backed by Kurt Volker personally) still voted for draconian laws outlawing Russian language.

So my question is - whom/what do these people represent exactly, when the voting map of Ukraine

ultimately looks by now like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_U...%83%D1%80).svg

Last edited by erasure; 04-27-2019 at 07:09 PM..

Old 04-27-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:

P.S. I wonder whether they are going to call yet another *emergency meeting* in the UN on this subject, now that Putin is mulling an extended offer.
I don't know whether the "opportunity in the east" is really rising or what, but during the latest meeting in the UN on a subject ( called by the *alarmed Ukrainians,*) Nebenzya ( Russian rep.,) asked (very rightfully so,) why there were no hysterics when the Hungarians/Romanians were giving out passports to THEIR minorities living in Ukraine, ( not to mention the "Polish card" that's given right and left to Ukrainians of the Western provinces. ) Because the "successful economic reforms" organized by the IMF left Poland half-empty, and now they need Ukrainian workers apparently.

( I am not sure how many Poles Brexit will send back home though, after all is said and done, and whether their spots will be taken by hapless Ukrainians by then.)

The point being however, is that back in 2014, after the coup, the Nationalist Ukrainians were yelling at the Easterners ( or anyone who dared to resist the new regime) "Suitcase, railway-station, Russia."
To which by now Russians from the South-East are responding; "Bundle, horse-cart, Poland."

So I am not all that sure that it's all about "opportunities in Russia" with those passport offers. Particularly that from what I know, Ukrainians are not required to give up their Ukrainian passports while acquiring the Russian ones..

Last edited by erasure; 04-27-2019 at 08:06 PM..

Old 04-28-2019, 09:16 AM

Zelensky will make the same fast track offer to Russians.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...-and-hits-back

I love the comments about free internet and elections. Russias internet is as free as any other and elections in Ukraine are not free. You need money to get elected and even more to get legislation passed.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Zelensky will make the same fast track offer to Russians.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...-and-hits-back

I love the comments about free internet and elections. Russias internet is as free as any other and elections in Ukraine are not free. You need money to get elected and even more to get legislation passed.

Things are getting interesting, and this is one more proof yet that Russians and Ukrainians ( particularly from the South-Eastern part of the country) are NOT divided within ethnic, but POLITICAL lines.

P.S. I think that the elections in Ukraine were free.
The problem is, once they've elected the president not convenient for today's authorities, he doesn't seem to be able to get his job)))

Old 04-28-2019, 12:00 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Talking to my relatives, they are not interested in a Russian passport, even though half of them work in Russia, but hey "our roots are Ukrainian and we belong here"...rednecks, lol.

But this irks me even more, there are thousands of Russians in former Soviet republics who want Russian citizenship, especially in those god awful central Asian countries.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Talking to my relatives, they are not interested in a Russian passport, even though half of them work in Russia, but hey "our roots are Ukrainian and we belong here"...rednecks, lol.

But this irks me even more, there are thousands of Russians in former Soviet republics who want Russian citizenship, especially in those god awful central Asian countries.

There is more to it I think than just "being rednecks," and I can't say I blame them.
Being a "Moscovite" is in my blood and veins ( because my ancestors lived there for generations,) and Moscow ( in spite of all the moronic people who moved in there and keep on moving in,) is so many things in terms of cultural/social/political life - it's a place where you can feel the pulse of the world.
So for these reasons alone I wouldn't be able to live anywhere else in Russia ( even St. Petersburg fails to deliver in this respect.)

But if I were forced to choose where to live in the "Russian world," I'd rather choose Ukraine than "Russia proper." Because "Russia proper" feels more like the "Prussian state" to me ( yes-yes, I refer to the German state,) with its "kaisers," gendarmerie, secret police, military, and on and on.

But the more westward you move, towards the "periphery", the less suffocating the atmosphere is, the more informal relations between people are, and the more the "local rules" rule.

So I can't blame Ukrainians ( barred the Galician type) that are not in a rush to become "Russians," even if they are forced to work/stay in "Russia proper" because of the circumstances.

P.S. Ditto about ethnic Russians stranded in "Stans."
Putin indeed keeps them in there to do his bidding, since he is very interested in close relations with Central Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe