Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 12:48 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times

Advertisements

Balaclava (Crimea)

YouTube

Photo
Photo
Photo

Officially it is not Russian troops. Officially it is "polite people".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 01:00 PM

102 posts, read 106,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I'm all for that. But a referendum on the "Anschluss" of Crimea and/or Eastern Ukraine to Russia can hardly be called objektive while the Russian army patrols the streets of Ukraine cities.
Now Kiev government wants to change all dissenters in the electoral commission in Kiev. What do you think there is a chance the east and south honestly hold elections in such a situation? You probably don't know what is the people's mood in the East. They are always so pro-Russian and now it's more and more.
Russian troops will not pass the Dnieper. This is stupid.
And honestly speaking, I personally don't care about world opinion. My people in my city have more trust in Russia than Banderovites.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:01 PM

667 posts, read 940,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
From my basic research, it looks like Belarus has formed a "Union State" with Russia since the mid-90s so it seems that a Ukraine-style revolution in Belarus is unlikely to happen. I could be wrong though.
Well, theoretically it may happen. But in practice, Lukashenko with the help of his "siloviki" nips all attempts in the bud.
For Lukashenko's standards, Yanukovich was way too liberal. That's why he lost.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:10 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1992 View Post
Now Kiev government wants to change all dissenters in the electoral commission in Kiev. What do you think there is a chance the east and south honestly hold elections in such a situation? You probably don't know what is the people's mood in the East. They are always so pro-Russian and now it's more and more.
Russian troops will not pass the Dnieper. This is stupid.
And honestly speaking, I personally don't care about world opinion. My people in my city have more trust in Russia than Banderovites.
Personally, I think that both sides made major mistakes. Like stripping the Russian language of its official status in the East. That was probably the worst thing to do.

As I said before: If the east + crimea want to become independent/Russian, fine. But a referendum, which will be necessary to make proper decisions, should be guarded/observed by officials from the EU, Russia, the OECD and maybe Turkey in the case of Crimea where they have lots of Muslims. Not only by the Russian military.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:34 PM

102 posts, read 106,131 times
Quote:
. Not only by the Russian military.
I think so.
If the presence of NATO troops would not hurt to do it in Afghanistan and Iraq, I think that the Russian troops would not interfere in the same things in Ukraine.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:39 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,380 times
Quote:
Russian media outlets don't seem to be the best either..
What about these tons of the youtube videos that never were shown at your media?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:44 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
What about these tons of the youtube videos that never were shown at your media?
Which ones? These or these? Contrary to Russian believes (obviously): We've seen both. You know. Freedom of press.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:59 PM

5,790 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Like I have said all along...

Ukraine will break into two, at least. The eastern portion will be directly controlled , or dominatd by Russia. Putin is no pushover. The fate of the Black Sea Fleet is at stake, and Russia will never allow the EU to dominate all of Ukraine.

The western portion, after it is utterly crushed by the Russian bear in a war to try to keep the eastern portion, will become a pro-western beggar state, burdening the west.

This may have looked like a "People's Power" or color revolution, or what have you, at first, but in the end, the new government in Kiev, now increasingly dominated by fascist extremists of the Ukrainian stripe, will be a sobering face of "New Ukraine". I knew this would happen when, within a just a few hours of its birth, the new gov in Kiev banned all other languages but Ukrainian. That is a bad harbinger of things to come.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:11 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Very wonder if it's true.

The flagship of the Ukrainian Navy "Getman Sahaidachny" today over to the side Russia. They raised Andrew's flag. Flagman goes after the exercise of the Mediterranean to the Black Sea with St. Andrew's flag. They complied with the order-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Viktor Yanukovych and sided with Russia.

Read more (Russian language):

Флагман ВМФ Украины «Гетман Сагайдачный» перешел на сторону Ð*оссии - Известия

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 03-01-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 03-01-2014, 02:13 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,380 times
Quote:
Which ones? These or
these? Contrary to Russian believes (obviously): We've seen both. You know. Freedom of press.
"Freedom of press" don't own the truth. You still can't understand that many people of this thread know the situation from inside. They don't need to read "free press" about what's going on at their streets. They know the truth without them. But you trust a biassed journalists. So, this discussion is pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe