Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
I must to leave Russia, I can't to live under Putin's rule anymore.
Bye-Bye!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
No, it's the Russian troops.
Yeah, actually that was intended to be a pun. You know, the Russians on here told us that the guys on Maidan are just some fascist punks. Carrying weapons and stuff. But the guys on the Crimean peninsula don't seem to be a problem for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1992 View Post
What was law in the last days? Illegal armed groups seized government buildings and demanded to remove the legally elected people from power.
Yeah, but they were Ukrainian citizens. Now Russia is basically occupying parts of the Ukraine. And that's illegal and grossly negligent in oh so many ways.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If this was any other country in the world other than Russia, hardly anyone would care. Israel and Turkey have made excursions into other countries without even a brief news headline. The US, well no explanation needed, the US is the expert at making excursions into other countries.

The US claims for Russia to "not involve in Ukraine", yet the US itself is involved in Ukraine. The West became involved in Libya, and the Balkans, the US in Panama, Grenada, etc; yet it is critical of Russia to be involved in Ukraine. This hypocrisy is easy to see, that is why when it comes to self interest (in this case, Russia's), all of these warning head little notice because of the pure hypocrisy of it all.

There was even criticism of Russia attacking Georgia, though all evidence, including an OSCE (I think it was them) report blames Georgia for the situation. Then the blame transformed from "why did Russia attack" to "Russia used a disproportionate amount of force"; as if a country is obligated not to use as many means as practical during a skirmish. Heck, the US is using multi-million dollar military equipment against the Taliban.

This is not a rant against the US, but the obvious stance of the US and West as in "only WE can do these things" is a bit ridiculous, and is really counter productive. As a US citizen, it is my critique of gov foreign policy actions.

Reality is; we here what the officials are stating on TV to appease their domestic audience, but in real life, they are talking frequently behind the scenes and know what moves are going on. This is evident if anyone is into reading political books by former insiders.
So, what you are saying is that no international rules should apply at all? And by the way: There is lots of criticism towards US foreign policy as well. the only thing Russia IS doing right now IS waging war. So criticism is appropriate in this case.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
That's probably against every international law out there. But hey, we are talking about Russia here, so why do I even bother
You are wrong. Official legitimate power in the Ukraine - Yanukovych is. In accordance with the laws it is not removed from power. If he asked for military assistance, international law is executed, as I understand it.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:46 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Maybe what is happening in Ukraine is a war between rival Mafias.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
You are wrong. Official legitimate power in the Ukraine - Yanukovych is. In accordance with the laws it is not removed from power. If he asked for military assistance, international law is executed, as I understand it.
I'm not wrong: Use of force on foreign soil may be granted by a foreign head of state or government, but such an agreement becomes illegal when said head of state/government is party to a civil war. That's stuff you can easily research yourself. I know, though, that Russian literature on Human Rights/Law of Military Interventions/Public International Law may be scarce.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I'm not wrong: Use of force on foreign soil may be granted by a foreign head of state or government, but such an agreement becomes illegal when said head of state/government is party to a civil war. That's stuff you can easily research yourself. I know, though, that Russian literature on Human Rights/Law of Military Interventions/Public International Law may be scarce.
Let's wait, what Russian government would say .

Old 03-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Let's wait, what Russian government would say .
Well, it's an open secret that the Russian government tend to not give a **** about international law.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:12 AM

102 posts, read 106,103 times
Again and again! What is law? I was born in Kharkiv, I've lived in Kharkiv for all of my life. Most of my friends and just people around me are thinking like me about this situation. New authorities is illegal for us. If russian troops to help us today, we just will tell them "Thank you!"

Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1992 View Post
Again and again! What is law? I was born in Kharkiv, I've lived in Kharkiv for all of my life. Most of my friends and just people around me are thinking like me about this situation. New authorities is illegal for us. If russian troops to help us today, we just will tell them "Thank you!"
The negation of law does seem to be a problem in the Ukraine. Indeed.

You know, I'm happy for the people of Crimea for their referendum on their independence. Two peaceful Ukraines (or one Ukraine and a slightly bigger Russia) are way more attractive to me than one Ukraine fighting a civil war over 20 years.
BUT I don't think that Russian military presence does any good to the whole situation. It doesn't look like the Ukrainian military tries to intervene, there were no major clashes and those "Crimean self-defense forces" will only lead into the fact that the west will question the results of the referendum. Just look up the referendums of Sopron (1921) or Austria (1938).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe