Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 02:27 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,101 times

Advertisements

saw this, couldn't resist posting it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 05:38 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: "These people only appreciate democracy as so long it they are the victors in the election, if they are not, then they do not have a care in the world for democracy"

Box...I'd say Ukraine has been a victim of gross Russian interference for quite awhile. It is evident there is great fear on her 'movements'.

And some history on the interesting Russian attitude to 'democracy'. In '17 for the elections to the Assembly after the Bolshis grabbed power , the Socialst party in free elections won over the Bolshis. What did the Bolshis do? Well they got rid of the Assembly! In any case some people speak their mind when given the chance...;-)...
Of course the "Bolshis" got rid of the Assembly; after all they were the ultra-left, weren't they? Well guess what Travric, Russia has been the "ultra-right," oppressive and conservative country for so long, that when any "assembly" with "voting" finally showed up there, it was simply too little, too late. The ultra-left blow was only natural and predictable response to all the ultra-right forces that were holding country's development back for centuries.

Do you think that these words in one of famous Russian poems

"... My friend, believe me that with thunder,
The star of joy will rise again!
And Russia will arise from slumber,
Our names will be incised with wonder
On remnants of oppressive reign!"

https://sites.google.com/site/poetry...kin/to-chadaev

belong to "Bolshis" times?
Lol no, they go much further back in history))))

( Overall you might find this an interesting read - a letter of Pushkin to Chaadaev regarding Russian history/situation in Russia overall. I've noticed that you are interested in Russia, considering it probably more of "enigma," so it's just food for a thought.

" I know of no nation whose destiny has been more frequently disturbed than Russia's. It resembles a flowing stream that, owing to violent upheavals, has several times changed its bed. Like one of those men who, having been ill-treated by fate, has put his hand to several different occupations, but has never been successful. The Western nations developed under far more favourable conditions. When the barbarians, after the recoil of Islam, had settled down, they had twelve centuries of comparative peace in which to work and to develop spontaneously. Revolutions and wars never completely threw them off the lines on which they had started. Russia, on the other hand, seems to have been the chosen field in which to make radical experiments...."

Russian history

Old 04-25-2015, 01:06 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Very interesting video of what is in store for Ukraine. Martial Law.

I wonder how long this woman will be alive.

LiveLeak.com - Ukr. Politician Nataliya Vitrenko - Military Junta instead of European values | Eng. Subs.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:12 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Very interesting video of what is in store for Ukraine. Martial Law.

I wonder how long this woman will be alive.

LiveLeak.com - Ukr. Politician Nataliya Vitrenko - Military Junta instead of European values | Eng. Subs.

"Ukrainian Politician Nataliya Vitrenko talks about a law recently passed in Ukrainian Parliament, which effectively dismantles Constitutional system in Ukraine in case marshall law is declared. De jure the governement will take shape of military junta.
Read more at LiveLeak.com - Ukr. Politician Nataliya Vitrenko - Military Junta instead of European values | Eng. Subs."

What other solution do they have, particularly keeping in mind recent mass protests of the miners in Kiev?
Ukrainians are demanding "European level of life" from their government - the kind they have been promised. And with money going down the drain - being spent on so-called "ATO" in Donbass, they are behind not only "European level," but behind what they used to have with corrupt Yanukovitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvu7CyP9ENM

( They are talking about unpaid for three months salaries, about mines closure and evasiveness of the government when it comes to social issues. "All these people that you see here used to be "middle class" - they used to have some purchasing power; now they are in poverty" - says one of the miners.

And this is today's Donbass - celebrating a nice sunny day without bombing.
A Ukrainian journalist in exile who made this video is saying "I see these people are happy. I don't see them asking to be "liberated" by Ukrainian army. So may be it's time for Ukrainian goverenment to start negotiating with Ukrainian people here in the East instead of bombing them; with Ukrainians that happen to disagree with the government?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHyUodr0chE

Old 04-26-2015, 07:36 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Well Erasure from what I see the junta has all the tools in place at this time to keep themselves in power. The people will not stand up in the numbers required to bring them down. Martial Law and that vague phrase about threats is all they need. A dog walking down the street will be a threat if they say so now.

There's going to be a lot of suffering and I don't think it's going to stop for years to come. I'm pretty sure blood will flow and the Einsatzgruppen, foreign mercenaries will all do their part in this to ensure those now in power will stay in power. They want paychecks too.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:31 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,477 times
Re: " I know of no nation whose destiny has been more frequently disturbed than Russia's. It resembles a flowing stream that, owing to violent upheavals, has several times changed its bed. Like one of those men who, having been ill-treated by fate, has put his hand to several different occupations, but has never been successful"

Agree though I am not sure in the context what 'successful' means. Does it mean perhaps too many 'radical experiments' going awry? No matter she still is a great nation state which always tries to put its stamp on the world. The Russian bear keeps the West constantly growling each and every day....;-)...

Old 04-26-2015, 11:44 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
The Russian bear keeps the West constantly growling each and every day....;-)...
The Russian bear has a reason to do so.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:51 AM

261 posts, read 256,448 times
I was examing mortality databases recently and was surprised of the high amount of
cardiovascular deaths in Eastern Europe.
These are sometimes subsumed as "preventable" deaths in statistical articles
and the up and down in the last century makes you wonder, what triggers it
and whether it depends on the political system.
This is by far the major group of death-causes since 1950, but with a general down-trend.

Now, I see a clear West-East increase in circulatory deaths, with Poland
and the Baltic States joining EU first and seeing a decrease in circulatory deaths.

But I think it's also maybe geographical or genetical since East Germany (i.e. Sachsen,
Sachsen-Anhalt,Thueringen) did decrease only as fast as West Germany, not faster.

While West Germany, Austria had a delay in decrease of ~10years as compared with
Western or Northern Europe.

The Lithuania-trend was interrupted in 2000
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_parliamentary_election,_2000
Attached Thumbnails
The future of Ukraine-ciree.gif  

Last edited by gsgsgs; 04-28-2015 at 04:21 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 09:03 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,477 times
Re: 'The Russian bear has a reason to do so'

Perhaps of threats against her? But I see no guns getting ready to strike. No declarations of war or violence pitted against her. What is her 'research' telling the state? That there is some sort of cabal directed at her to oust her from the global stage? Methinks Russia doth protests too much.

Of course because of history she is alarmed at events in Ukraine and has taken steps to make a jump- start on 'threats' and consequently acts first and lets everybody else ask questions later and be forced to take stock of a country's next (perhaps aggressive?) moves.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,885 times
Hi, peoples! I'am from Ukraine, now living in Russia. May be you have a qestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe