Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 08:11 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Jesus Christ, not only these criminals in Kiev don't give the access of human watch groups to DNR POWs, they basically dump their own POWs and refuse to exchange them.
I've heard about it before, but couldn't understand what they were talking about until I saw this video.
These are Ukrainian POWs (taken from Donetsk airport? from what I understand) and DNR officer is explaining them the situation that DNR commandment would love to exchange them on DNR POWs, but Ukrainian authorities are refusing to do that. The officer lets these people listen to their own bosses ( in charge of situation,) who are basically saying that that they are ready to send in exchange CIVILIANS who were arrested and persecuted under the article of "separatism," just not the POWs.
DNR POWs are tortured in Ukraine, while Kiev's government doesn't care a bit about their own POWs in captivity.
So per advise of the officer, now Ukrainian POWs have to make personal appeals to people who know them, in order to plead their case with Ukrainian government.
Outrageous, really.
I heard the same thing. In February the SBU was in Mariupol rounding up people for being sympathizers or whatever, a hundred or so were arrested in a few weeks. Supposedly these people would be exchanged for NAF POWs.

It begs the question of just where are the NAF POWs? In mass graves? I think there are some real scumbuckets in that junta, at all levels. Expect the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:27 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,764 times
Based on the way Kiev treating their own people, I am not sure POW status would be respected.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:32 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I heard the same thing. In February the SBU was in Mariupol rounding up people for being sympathizers or whatever, a hundred or so were arrested in a few weeks. Supposedly these people would be exchanged for NAF POWs.

It begs the question of just where are the NAF POWs? In mass graves? I think there are some real scumbuckets in that junta, at all levels. Expect the worst.

I don't know why anyone expected something good to come out of a violent Government takeover. Its not like the their leader had himself taken over by force. He was elected by the people. I have no idea why we support this self imposed Government. Obama and the "Chicken Hawk" Republicans need to get their heads on straight, and not give these clown anything.

There was a strong belief that the Ukrainians where the ones that shot down that Airliner, and seeing how these clowns operate, makes me wonder. No wonder so many Soldiers are deserting and changing sides.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I don't know why anyone expected something good to come out of a violent Government takeover. Its not like the their leader had himself taken over by force. He was elected by the people. I have no idea why we support this self imposed Government. Obama and the "Chicken Hawk" Republicans need to get their heads on straight, and not give these clown anything.

There was a strong belief that the Ukrainians where the ones that shot down that Airliner, and seeing how these clowns operate, makes me wonder. No wonder so many Soldiers are deserting and changing sides.
I would not empower Putin to much, had Russia had a modern government, it would be one thing. But course of events needs to happen to force Russia into a modern government ?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:49 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I would not empower Putin to much, had Russia had a modern government, it would be one thing. But course of events needs to happen to force Russia into a modern government ?
It's very difficult for Russia to have a "modern government" in Western sense of it, because historically speaking Russia was not/is not in the same economic situation as the West.
As history shows, it has been a case BEFORE the revolution, with foreign forces being involved and benefiting one warring party, and it was clearly a case in post-Soviet Russia ( foreign involvement in internal affairs, where one of the parties was cooperating with this involvement.) Now very "unmodern" Soviet government was free of such threat however. So a hostile involvement ( or any threat of it) of foreign powers impedes the development of Russian political scene big time, unfortunately.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It's very difficult for Russia to have a "modern government" in Western sense of it, because historically speaking Russia was not/is not in the same economic situation as the West.
As history shows, it has been a case BEFORE the revolution, with foreign forces being involved and benefiting one warring party, and it was clearly a case in post-Soviet Russia ( foreign involvement in internal affairs, where one of the parties was cooperating with this involvement.) Now very "unmodern" Soviet government was free of such threat however. So a hostile involvement ( or any threat of it) of foreign powers impedes the development of Russian political scene big time, unfortunately.
Sorry, but reading this post, I have thought of a new word, democra-phobic lol

Old 03-10-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
How true. Stability is THE most important factor in peoples lives and the building of nations. Iraq can serve as a great example of how to destroy a society. Saddam was a dictator, he was not a nice guy but one thing is for sure HIS version of Iraq was far more stable than what we have now. Maybe Rememberme and NOLA think that Iraqis (those still breathing anyway) are better off now than in Saddams time but most people would disagree.

Russian history has ensured that the people prefer not to rock the boat, prefer a strong leader and above all else the stability it brings. What Putin and his bunch do between themselves has little effect on the daily lives of the people of Russia. What is done to Russia by foreign powers inevitably does. That's why Russians tend to be the way they are in my opinion.

Were Russia and Russians to be respected as they rightfully deserve and nations such as America were to go down a path of cooperation and understanding with time Russians would change, their society would change and the situation for the world would be better.

Unfortunately rabid self serving morons rule the day.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:58 AM

One does has to admin that if Russia was a democracy, the events surrounding Ukraine's crisis would be very different.

Even in the future, it's so much easier to get away with annexing stuff when your a democracy !

Old 03-10-2015, 11:13 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,223 times
Re: 'What is done TO (trav's caps) Russia by foreign powers...'

Playing that ole 'the poor me's' game eh???...;-)...I'd say the view from Russia is not very good and they are having a hell of a time trying to steer their boat in the world's political and eco waters. Europe's wising up.

They are so badly adrift that they are having trouble establishing priorities. Thing is they are always looking for spooks floating in, around and under the stairs. The country is like one big haunted house. The reliance on spooks and the stubborness of keeping the tried and true of the past appears to be inimical to their wish of becoming a viable and less contentious partner to her global partners.
The common Russian 'nyet' says it all.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:54 AM

Russia throws out CFE treaty for good.

America gets it's arms race. The vassal states of Europe get their reason to build tanks and the people on both sides get a gun to their head. Eastern Europe is in the gunsights of some real heavy firepower.

TASS: Russia - Russia suspends joint consultations on Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe

Quote:
"In such conditions, Russia sees its further participation in meetings of the joint consultative group, which as a rule are reduced to reading out the agenda, as pointless from both political and practical points of view and as excessively costly from the financial and economic point of view," he said. "Bearing the above said in mind, Russia has taken a decision to suspend its participation in meetings of the joint consultative group from March 11, 2015. Thus, the CFE Treaty suspension declared by Russia in 2007 becomes complete."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe