Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 09:07 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist View Post
No, Erasure. The privately owned orchestra and all of the musicians can decide whether they want to play with a fascist like her.
In the country(ies) where most of enterprises are "privately owned" this is a sure way to punish for disobedience, while pretending that "freedom of speech" didn't go anywhere.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Trust me on this one.
Why should I? What credentials have you got, that I should "trust you?"

Quote:
You are Russian, it is a difficult concept to grasp.
But I am the one who lived in the US half of my life. Have you ever lived in Russia?

Now back to the "concepts" and who can grasp what.

Quote:
I didn't bother reading the rest of your post.
Smart move. You'd know even less how to respond without sounding ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 02:29 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
If a Westerner expressed sympathy with Ukraine while being in Moscow, the Westerner would have been jailed, because in Russia there is no freedom of speech. You haven't reached that stage of civilization yet.
I think you're exaggerating. A couple of weeks ago, Ukrainian soccer player Tymoshchuk, which stands for Zenit St Petersburg, visited the hospital with the soldiers of the Ukrainian army. But the fans and journalists reacted calmly to his action.

It's August 2014, Moscow, a rally in support of Ukraine. The inscription on the poster: The occupation of the Crimea is Russia's shame.
http://kvedomosti.com/uploads/posts/...rainy_161.jpeg

At the rally, March 1, 2015 in Moscow, protesters had many Ukrainian flags, most of the Russian opposition support Ukraine, and this is a big mistake of the opposition. Opposition becomes not interesting for the majority of Russians. This is a particular problem.

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-12-2015 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 04-12-2015, 02:41 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
But Erasure is right. The government rarely listen to the protesters. You can say it, but your vote does not mean much.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:17 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
re: 'You can say it but your vote does not mean much'

Am I wrong to think that 'you can say it' has some 'conditionals'? At times it's ok for barking dogs to growl once or twice. But then after awhile the dog gets another look which isn't too supporting. You know, then the thrown shoes come out. Some aggravation can be really hard to take. Patience in Russia perhaps at a premium???

Old 04-12-2015, 08:46 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
^
So with that 'ism' gone what is the new name of the Russian political setup? Is it 'Sovietism'. If so it sounds right!
The new buzz word for Western capitalism and Soviet-style capitalism is oligarchy. I see it used a lot. In the 90's and 00's with the ascendancy of economies in Asia, the popular term for concentration of economic power and decision-making was state capitalism and keiretsus/chaebols/etc. Major industrial conglomerates in Japan, Korea, and Taiwan were considered the real decision-making power behind the governments.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
No, Erasure. The privately owned orchestra and all of the musicians can decide whether they want to play with a fascist like her. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Trust me on this one. You are Russian, it is a difficult concept to grasp.

I didn't bother reading the rest of your post.
You use fascist or neo-nazi in just about every post of yours. What was the old saying? The lady doth protest too much, methinks!

Old 04-12-2015, 09:39 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know on that just an observation. I'd think in the days of the old Rus Commonwealth that they had it right when the emperor and his ' dumnye diakis' (lord secretaries) made sure everybody learned how to catch fish instead of just giving the heads to them. Rus then had to look as a 'dynamic' national enterprise.
Travric, I've already said what Russians think about "catching fish" - the way it has been introduced in THEIR country;

"Capitalism ( as they tell us); don't feed the hungry, give him a fishing pole.
Capitalism ( as it really is); don't give a fishing pole, but sell it using a loan, without letting the hungry know that that he won't have access to a fishing pond, plus he doesn't have a license for fishing anyway, since both fishing pond and fish belong to the same owner who sold him that fishing pole."

So all those "fishing pole" theories are worthless after all.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:47 AM

602 posts, read 495,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You use fascist or neo-nazi in just about every post of yours. What was the old saying? The lady doth protest too much, methinks!
Incorrect, I have never used the term neo-nazi, but I believe you have? Or at least, your comrades have. Nice try, though. Self-goal.

Anyway, I wouldn't call Putin or putinists for democrats. These guys have much more in common with the fascists rulers from the 20th century.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Incorrect, I have never used the term neo-nazi, but I believe you have? Or at least, your comrades have. Nice try, though. Self-goal.

Anyway, I wouldn't call Putin or putinists for democrats. These guys have much more in common with the fascists rulers from the 20th century.
The difference is that you have no intellectual basis for making arguments so that you've resorted to name-calling posters and politicians. Ukrainian paramilitary groups openly identified with the Nazi or fascist movements are fair game as such. The reporting on their actions are part of the discussion.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:56 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
But Erasure is right. The government rarely listen to the protesters. You can say it, but your vote does not mean much.
I remember reading a book about the unrest in America back in the last half of the 18th century a long time ago. There was a lot of unrest in cities like Detroit and Chicago. People were slaving in factories for almost nothing, they had to have children of the families working too in order to feed themselves.

People were protesting, unions were forming and there was a lot of unrest in general. The Industrialists along with the government in many cases simply brought out the troops and set up the machine guns. At one protest in Chicago the politicians and well monied sorts were all about keeping the peace with the use of troops and Gatling guns. People on both sides had been killed.

At some point at a demonstration a politician in Chicago came up with a brilliant idea.

Let them speak. Let them rant. Let them vent. There's no need to call out the army and destroy the city if we allow them to speak out. Words are words, they don't hurt anyone or anything and they don't have to be ACTED upon. At least not right away.
This was in the late 1860s. This war of words went on for almost another 50 years before workers in America had anything like the rights we have now.

Some say that the events in Russia (the revolution in Russia) is what brought about real change for the workers in the west because after that change came quick and substantial in nature.

Sure, in the west you can say anything you want so long as you obey the laws and jump through the hoops. Problem is if you say something worth listening to, something that makes people THINK and ACT you'll be in big trouble real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe