Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2021, 08:53 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
After the GW Bush years, Obama and Medvedev pressed the reset button and things improved until Putin returned. Read about it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia...09%E2%80%9316)
Russia was in retrenchment and defending interests near its borders, such as Chechnya, while abandoning others such as Iraq in 2003. To be fair, the US already had carved up Iraq with no-fly zones. The US had already stated that they would invade with or without a UN resolution.

At this point, they're barely holding their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 08:59 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
I've been following the news from Smolenck for years now and sometimes it's hilarious. There was almost a war awhile back about remodeling the city and the side who wanted to keep the old historic theme won so they went that direction. Then they started screaming about the costs of renovating old buildings which it seems is about 3 times more than building and maintaining a new one over time. Then they started screaming bloody murder over taxes and in some cases refusing to pay taxes.

Then they started screaming about the road conditions which were not built correctly to begin with. More screaming over cost and taxes and this has been an ongoing process since the first time I went to the city in 2002.

What is it with some Russians? If you don't pay your taxes you won't have nice things!!!!!

I can say that in America we have very nice roads and pay a lot for them but it works.

This strikes me as hilarious, the ultimate first world problem. Cities like Tourists Belgorod are not having such issues.

https://smolnarod.ru/sn/society/na-u...na-svoi-mesta/

Quote:
Smolensk public activists are concerned that "skirts" from old light poles are being dismantled on Przhevalsky Street. As a result, faceless pillars appeared instead of aesthetic lighting poles. The contractor was accused of everything.
Activist and urbanist Yevgeny Plenkin suggests that the "skirts" will disappear forever. Smolyans will have to be content with completely ordinary lighting poles. According to him, history is being destroyed in the city.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:43 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I've been following the news from Smolenck for years now and sometimes it's hilarious. There was almost a war awhile back about remodeling the city and the side who wanted to keep the old historic theme won so they went that direction. Then they started screaming about the costs of renovating old buildings which it seems is about 3 times more than building and maintaining a new one over time. Then they started screaming bloody murder over taxes and in some cases refusing to pay taxes.

Then they started screaming about the road conditions which were not built correctly to begin with. More screaming over cost and taxes and this has been an ongoing process since the first time I went to the city in 2002.

What is it with some Russians? If you don't pay your taxes you won't have nice things!!!!!

I can say that in America we have very nice roads and pay a lot for them but it works.

This strikes me as hilarious, the ultimate first world problem. Cities like Tourists Belgorod are not having such issues.

https://smolnarod.ru/sn/society/na-u...na-svoi-mesta/

Sounds like a typical "capitalism in Russia" problem.
People don't believe in all these "tenders," (bidding,) "contractors," "middle man" and cost of anything ( where it goes and for what exactly.)
If they see the price tag attached to any renovation, but then the historic frills are gone ( like those "skirts" from the light poles,) and they are getting some bland stuff instead for double price- you bet the defenders of the historic look of the city will be all up in arms.

Same sad stories I've heard from Moscow.

The "great renovation of Bolshoy theater" that costed millions if not billions.
Yet amazingly enough all the authentic stuff - the door handles, the lighting fixtures and other things that were making that place special - all gone after the "renovation" provided by "contractors" and substituted with cheap junk.

But the articles written in English ( and thus targeting the foreign audience) will never explain to you these details.

Old 06-19-2021, 12:11 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
She's no Richard Perle (whom I've met, and admire).

Now that explains it all DKM.

The quicker your ilk gets eradicated from government posts, think-tank position and any sort of DC sewer, the better. It should be the first priority of any administration that wants real change. We need some deep house cleaning.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Sounds like a typical "capitalism in Russia" problem.
People don't believe in all these "tenders," (bidding,) "contractors," "middle man" and cost of anything ( where it goes and for what exactly.)
If they see the price tag attached to any renovation, but then the historic frills are gone ( like those "skirts" from the light poles,) and they are getting some bland stuff instead for double price- you bet the defenders of the historic look of the city will be all up in arms.

Same sad stories I've heard from Moscow.

The "great renovation of Bolshoy theater" that costed millions if not billions.
Yet amazingly enough all the authentic stuff - the door handles, the lighting fixtures and other things that were making that place special - all gone after the "renovation" provided by "contractors" and substituted with cheap junk.

But the articles written in English ( and thus targeting the foreign audience) will never explain to you these details.
I know this practice of certain objects disappearing goes on here and I am willing to bet that some of those objects from the theatre are in certain mansions or collections in various places.

The UW had 4 large Gargoyle sculptures removed from a remodel project. They were from one of the original buildings and very old. They were stored in an open lot on campus and when they went to retrieve them some years later all that was there were the rotting pallets. No one has any idea where they went. They didn't just fly away.

Old 06-20-2021, 05:22 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,568,841 times
The Russian & Ukrainian Mafia are apparently on standby to conduct a Florida political hit job. One Republican recorded threatening to wipe out another via Mafia.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...t-squad-494976

Old 06-21-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
The Russian & Ukrainian Mafia are apparently on standby to conduct a Florida political hit job. One Republican recorded threatening to wipe out another via Mafia.

America lets in a lot of people of dubious character and intent. We are also incapable of enforcing the laws of the land. I would think the Russian and Ukrainian mob would be the least of the worries you would have in Florida though.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:19 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,022,468 times
[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:

I think it's very convenient when you can write off any of your **** to Russia or the "Russian mafia".

Old 06-21-2021, 12:39 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,568,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post

I think it's very convenient when you can write off any of your **** to Russia or the "Russian mafia".
Of course it is, but you're missing the point. In the US the greater scandal is that one pol would attempt to wipe out another, with or without any mafia.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:51 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,022,468 times
Quote:
Of course it is, but you're missing the point. In the US the greater scandal is that one pol would attempt to wipe out another, with or without any mafia.
A murder scandal in the United States? Don't make me laugh.
In a country where leading politicians, from presidents to governors and prosecutors, are famously killed if they decide to go against the current. Yes, that's how I believed it.Precisely!
It's just that we haven't thought about the Russian mafia in a long time. The brand needs to be kept afloat.The name is beautiful, and then, probably, the usual chewing of snot.In the style of "we have no proof, but we know for sure" or " we have proof, but it is strictly secret. Or something like that.
I didn't waste any time reading this nonsense.

Along the way, to perform defecation in the karma of some of the politicians by pouring mud on him? Why not? All in the American style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe