Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2021, 06:40 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Russia doesn't appear very highly on any UK agenda, they're like those small yapping dogs always vying for attention! All Russians ever seem to do is try to act tough, either individually or as a nation, they seem obsessed with war and confrontation, perhaps this is why, despite being a HUGE country, Russia never seems to contribute to the globe in a cultural way? Perhaps its the weather that makes them this way? They NEVER seem to want to hold out a hand in friendship? Every Russian I've ever met has been painfully dificult to talk to, do Russians talk to each other about anything other than guns, tanks and war I wonder?
Utterly in irredeemably ignorant. Punch yourself in the face boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
The UK is acting foolish right now, for example, sending its navy in the South China Sea....the empire was over long ago
It's trying the be relevant as a nation again. It's having trouble accepting that the world has changed in the last 70 years and the good old days are over. They are an insignificant power and their only real thing they have to offer is a haven for thieves and corrupt politicians fleeing justice.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:46 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygent View Post
Sure, there are no thieves in Ukraine.
There are as many thieves in Ukraine but the presidency is not occupied by one who uses his office to help protect them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
The UK is acting foolish right now, for example, sending its navy in the South China Sea....the empire was over long ago
Empire may be over, but sending an aircraft carrier battlegroup through international waters is not a small action and could be considered a signal to an adversary to back off as much as today's incident was.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Empire may be over, but sending an aircraft carrier battlegroup through international waters is not a small action and could be considered a signal to an adversary to back off as much as today's incident was.
No, it's a desperate action in this case. Such waste in a time when brits as a people are so poorly served.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:57 PM

I think this destroyer incident was a simple provocation. The captain was ordered to maintain course and to cut into Russian waters to provoke the Russians to react. They did and thankfully not as strongly as they had right to.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:08 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
So now you have two versions of events:

UK: a plane flew close by, some shots were heard fired from somewhere not seen but not at or near the ship so not "warning shots" which are visible by a ship under way. No bomb dropped or anything shot by a plane near the ship or anywhere noticeable. Radio warnings.

Russia: "Russia's Black Sea Fleet and the FSB's border guard service on Wednesday stopped a violation of Russia's state border by the British destroyer"
"It is true that warning shots were fired, and that was enough"
"The use of weapons by Russia in its territory was totally justified from the standpoint of international law. I do hope that after such a punch there will be no more attempts to venture into our territory without permission,"
"A patrol ship fired warning shots and a Sukhoi-24M jet dropped bombs, also in a warning gesture, the Russian Defense Ministry said."

If Russia is telling the truth, it should be on video somewhere right? Not spin, or interpretation of someone's vague comments. If this actually happened the way Russia says so, I'm ready to see it. But it does not exist because they invented this. Maybe the dog ate the digital tape? The UK just showed them who's boss and who can't do anything so Putin demands fake news to prepare false reports to save face. Sad and pathetic but not surprising to me.

I would follow the most logical version out of two.

If it were just a "radio warning" and the ship ( that probably made a mistake) turned away and left after this warning - this wouldn't have been a big deal.
But if Russians summoned the military attache from UK, it was not a "mistake," and obviously radio warning was not enough.

And if the radio warning didn't work, then the preventive fire ( and whatever else is described by Russians) took place.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I think this destroyer incident was a simple provocation. The captain was ordered to maintain course and to cut into Russian waters to provoke the Russians to react. They did and thankfully not as strongly as they had right to.

By the sound of it - yes it was. "Testing waters" after that incident with Ukrainian boats, when they were trying to make it through to Azov sea or whatnot.
So Kiev thinks ( mistakenly so) that THAT reaction took place only because it were UKRANIAN boats that tried to pull this trick.
They thought that if their masters ( i.e. members of the NATO) would try to come up with something like that, the Russians would get shy.
So they were salivating in anticipation of the showdown.

But obviously they were wrong.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
There are as many thieves in Ukraine but the presidency is not occupied by one who uses his office to help protect them.

You are not keeping up with the news DKM...
However big difference between these two, is that one at least takes care of his state sovereignity, while the other one sells his country to the foreign powers right and left.

Quote:

And the *adversary* should "back off.." exactly why?

Old 06-23-2021, 07:27 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
No mistake was made. This was a deliberate act by the UK. What is debatable is the reason but they gave their reason so start with that. They don't recognize Crimea as Russian territory so they had the right to drive right on by. Russia made a lot of noise, pretending to use weapons to chase it off but the ship never changed course or speed the whole time. Weak, can't even defend territorial waters near a major naval base...

Old 06-23-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And the BBC reporter.
He sounded really.. how should I put it.. concerned? scared? through the whole episode.
It's all on Russian "60 minutes."
I'll look into it tonight.
That reporter was panicked. I can hear aircraft in close proximity to the ship. High speed and low. The Defender prioritizes air defense in its layout. If they started shooting it probably would have taken out a few planes but then Russian Bastion SSASMs would have torn it to pieces along with whatever else they threw at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe