Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2019, 02:00 AM

1,348 posts, read 624,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
A question.

Russia has a lot of old, smaller cities and towns. Like this.

There are hundreds of them, most right out of another era and some of htese places have been there for over 1000 years. Gomel was first mentioned as a place of note in 850 +/- AD. Would it even be practical to try to save all these places? Russias demographics are changing fast. Younger people move into the cities from places like this and the older people who do stay are slowly dying off. These small cities fall into disrepair, there's no money for upkeep of some of the treasures there. I've seen beautiful old buildings (pre Soviet) all over and it's sad that some are so far gone that you can't fix them.

What should they try to save? The churches? The old log home neighborhoods? How much is this going to cost.
Yes, unfortunately you are right, this problem exists. In small towns there is simply no money for the restoration of old buildings. In Russia, such facilities are divided into Federal, regional and local ... If money is somehow allocated from Moscow for the repair of Federal facilities, the repair and maintenance of local and regional facilities falls on the regional budgets, which simply do not have money for these purposes, or on owner of buildings. Plus, there is a rather complicated procedure. It is impossible to the owner of such building just like that to take and restore this building. We must first make a restoration project, then to approve it in the restoration authority, then get permission, then find a special company with a license, which are very few in Russia. And all this is not cheap. Few people want to invest their money in such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 11:02 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
Soyuz gets hit by lightning. The skin of the rocket did it's job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jQVsI7erv8&app=desktop

Old 05-27-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
Yes, unfortunately you are right, this problem exists. In small towns there is simply no money for the restoration of old buildings. In Russia, such facilities are divided into Federal, regional and local ... If money is somehow allocated from Moscow for the repair of Federal facilities, the repair and maintenance of local and regional facilities falls on the regional budgets, which simply do not have money for these purposes, or on owner of buildings. Plus, there is a rather complicated procedure. It is impossible to the owner of such building just like that to take and restore this building. We must first make a restoration project, then to approve it in the restoration authority, then get permission, then find a special company with a license, which are very few in Russia. And all this is not cheap. Few people want to invest their money in such things.
Sad. The type of buildings too are an issue. When my daughter was with her father she volunteered in the restoration of a 14th century church. It was art students and very old craftsmen. It is not something people want to do nor is the talents necessary easy to find. Craftsmen with the skills to restore those places are rare to non existent anymore. Does anyone know a blacksmith? A real stone mason? A carpenter that does not use power tools, only hand axes and chisels?

I think the majority of those treasures will have to be left to rot. They cannot all be saved.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:13 AM

Interesting. Ruth may know a lot about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPtZ82pAd3M&app=desktop

Old 05-27-2019, 08:11 PM

1,348 posts, read 624,065 times
Quote:
Sad. The type of buildings too are an issue. When my daughter was with her father she volunteered in the restoration of a 14th century church. It was art students and very old craftsmen. It is not something people want to do nor is the talents necessary easy to find. Craftsmen with the skills to restore those places are rare to non existent anymore. Does anyone know a blacksmith? A real stone mason? A carpenter that does not use power tools, only hand axes and chisels?

I think the majority of those treasures will have to be left to rot. They cannot all be saved.
Yes, it's very sad. Unfortunately, now such times that almost no one cares about this if it does not make a profit.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:44 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Make up stories about an American destroyer, totally debunked nonsense, and repeat them until true Russian believers really think the Cook was defeated by 70's Soviet tech, sigh this is just sad.
This legend is connected with the electronic warfare complex "Khibiny", if I am not mistaken. This complex was modernized 10 years ago. But it is intended for Su-34. Su-24 could not use this complex.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:03 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
A question.

Russia has a lot of old, smaller cities and towns. Like this.

There are hundreds of them, most right out of another era and some of htese places have been there for over 1000 years. Gomel was first mentioned as a place of note in 850 +/- AD. Would it even be practical to try to save all these places? Russias demographics are changing fast. Younger people move into the cities from places like this and the older people who do stay are slowly dying off. These small cities fall into disrepair, there's no money for upkeep of some of the treasures there. I've seen beautiful old buildings (pre Soviet) all over and it's sad that some are so far gone that you can't fix them.

What should they try to save? The churches? The old log home neighborhoods? How much is this going to cost.

It is impossible to save everything. Probably, future belongs to museums where buildings for exposition will be placed. btw, I recommend the Museum of Wooden Architecture in Suzdal. Interesting place. It is about 4 hours from Moscow to the northeast.

https://www.tourism33.ru/tourism/upl..._items_736.jpg

Old 05-28-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
This legend is connected with the electronic warfare complex "Khibiny", if I am not mistaken. This complex was modernized 10 years ago. But it is intended for Su-34. Su-24 could not use this complex.
I bet they can get on of them onto a fuselage of an SU-24 if they wanted to. Just what they're capable of as yet is pure speculation.

I heard that a lot of the Cooks crew requested discharge after that incident. I don't think that happened.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
It is impossible to save everything. Probably, future belongs to museums where buildings for exposition will be placed. btw, I recommend the Museum of Wooden Architecture in Suzdal. Interesting place. It is about 4 hours from Moscow to the northeast.

https://www.tourism33.ru/tourism/upl..._items_736.jpg
I need to see that city, a lot of old churches.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:11 PM

I knew it. Russians are getting fatter!!!

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2018/...inistry-a61355
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe