Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 11:53 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
Yeah, so not afraid that as much as almost all the crew are written off on the shore ,after a meeting with this stuff)) no Wonder Donald cook was without a team in Constance for a month or two. I can't remember exactly. But you keep going,keep going. Your posts only emphasize the gnashing of the teeth of the American military )))
Yes lets keep going! Russia's Navy:

Aircraft carriers in operation: 0
Cruisers built since 1991: 0
Destroyers since 1999: 0
3 Frigates under construction, could not build engines because Ukraine makes them. Just a few months ago, sold to India without engines.

Last month it was announced 2 Orlan class nuclear powered cruisers are going to be scrapped. 4 more submarines are heading to the same fate.

Russia cannot build or apparently even maintain surface ships so they build coastal patrol boats and boast about them in videos (we don't need big ships!) LOL. Make up stories about an American destroyer, totally debunked nonsense, and repeat them until true Russian believers really think the Cook was defeated by 70's Soviet tech, sigh this is just sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 05:20 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Russia’s $30 Million Missile Corvettes Have Four Times the Weapons Range of US $2 Billion Destroyers and Cruisers
Yes they're glorified river boats. They still outrange US ships ten times their weight 660 kilometers to 130

link
Not only the above they have many more advantages. They can safely navigate inland waterways and seas such as the Azov. Their small size means a shallow draft. they can get closer to rocky shorelines and hide amongst the "radar clutter" it creates. They can hide amongst islands much easier.Try hiding an aircraft carrier or Ticonderoga class cruiser against a shoreline or among islands. Not going to happen.

Logistically these ships are more easily maintained and supplied because they can enter just about any port and dock, sometimes they only need a small beach. As far as I know there are very few ports in the Blacksea that can dock larger ships. The few that there are cannot handle more than one or 2 at a time. Same with many ports in the Baltic and Pacific coasts. Larger ships face many issues when it comes to movement in a lot of the seas of the world. They're vulnerable because if you're looking for them the job is half done already. Fleets of large ships are not going to be in shallow seas.

When it comes to operations they have an advantage too. When you want to attack a fleet the objective is to overwhelm the missile defenses of that fleet. Small numbers of missles attacking from one direction is not going to do it. Many missiles from many axes (yes, axes is the plural of axis) is what overwhelms a fleets defense. These corvettes along with air and land defenses firing many hundreds of cheap missiles at an attacker in a small period of time ensure that attacker is going to be sent to the bottom. I don't care how "good" your defenses are, 10 ships may knock 400 of 500 missiles coming at it but the remaining 100 missiles are going to wreak havoc in the fleet.

One thing people don't know about US ships either is that they're not battleships. I've seen them, served on them. They are called tin cans for a reason. 4 or 5 missiles into a carrier and it's at a minimum crippled. 2 or 3 into a cruiser or destroyer and you will get the same result.

Russia has a good strategy with these smaller ships. She should stick to it.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
How do I know?
I know about it all in the same manner as I knew what was happening in Ukraine all along.
By listening to people across the different levels/locations of the society, by listening to Russian intellectuals and the sentence they are passing to it.
I don't know. I think Russia needs new leadership, more young and inspired people. I remember the 1980s with the succession of old pharts sitting on the throne and then quickly dying and falling off of it. The "Time Of Troubles" repeated.

What hangs me up though is who can replace those already there? What will really change? I know nothing is going to change here in America even though we get a new president every 8 years our real prostitutes of power die in office. I know there's a horde of piglets just behind them waiting for the boars to fall into the trough one last time and take their place. Politics corrupt even the most well intentioned.

I just don't know what to do other than what is being done. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:26 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I don't know. I think Russia needs new leadership, more young and inspired people. I remember the 1980s with the succession of old pharts sitting on the throne and then quickly dying and falling off of it. The "Time Of Troubles" repeated.
The Kremlin closely manages who is allowed to publicly challenge the current leadership. In this system there are few incentives for people to switch from supporting Putin it unless other people start to defect from support.

The construction of the Putin regime depends upon a social consensus that will one day unravel. And when it does, Russia’s own experience suggests it will happen quickly.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:38 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
It's going to come down to electronic countermeasures.

Russian Project 22160 Corvettes To Get Latest Electronic Defense Suite

Old 05-24-2019, 12:21 PM
DKM

Russia's latest submarine is again delayed because of inferior construction. The Kazan, K-651, was started 10 years ago and was due to enter the fleet last year. It went to sea trials last summer and multiple flaws were identified. Now its been delayed again until 2020 but probably 2021 at least.

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/6441111

This coming on the heels of cancelling frigate construction, and the scrapping of ships (they are considering scrapping the Kuznetsov now after failure of renovations) means the Russian fleet could be half its current size by 2035.

But hey, they have their patrol boats with electronic countermeasures

Old 05-24-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Russia's latest submarine is again delayed because of inferior construction. The Kazan, K-651, was started 10 years ago and was due to enter the fleet last year. It went to sea trials last summer and multiple flaws were identified. Now its been delayed again until 2020 but probably 2021 at least.

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/6441111

This coming on the heels of cancelling frigate construction, and the scrapping of ships (they are considering scrapping the Kuznetsov now after failure of renovations) means the Russian fleet could be half its current size by 2035.

But hey, they have their patrol boats with electronic countermeasures
Running with your pants down around your ankles again.

The Kazan is a Yasen class submarine, it's essentially experimental in nature and only the second one in its class. It's going to have bugs that need to be worked out. Americas newest carrier has a catapult launch system that is new too and it is having problems. New tech always does. The sub is highly automated so much so that only 90 crewmen are needed. Of course there will be bugs.

The rest of your post is garbage.

Last edited by Scrat335; 05-24-2019 at 05:49 PM..

Old 05-24-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It's going to come down to electronic countermeasures.

Russian Project 22160 Corvettes To Get Latest Electronic Defense Suite
I wish I knew more about that stuff but info is hard to find. It's all hush hush but I think Russia is far ahead when it comes to that and materials technology.

From what's going on in Syria Russia has some powerful stuff up and working. There have been several drone attacks recently and a lot of those drones don't even get near the airbase and the Pantsirs have no fun shooting them down.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:06 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Israeli analyst - Al Qaeda in Syria trying to stoke tensions between Russia and Turkey

perhaps kill the S-400 deal

Old 05-26-2019, 04:32 PM

A question.

Russia has a lot of old, smaller cities and towns. Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFc6ipGSPBs&app=desktop

There are hundreds of them, most right out of another era and some of htese places have been there for over 1000 years. Gomel was first mentioned as a place of note in 850 +/- AD. Would it even be practical to try to save all these places? Russias demographics are changing fast. Younger people move into the cities from places like this and the older people who do stay are slowly dying off. These small cities fall into disrepair, there's no money for upkeep of some of the treasures there. I've seen beautiful old buildings (pre Soviet) all over and it's sad that some are so far gone that you can't fix them.

What should they try to save? The churches? The old log home neighborhoods? How much is this going to cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe