Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 06:05 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And some people are in denial when I point at this idea of "American exceptionalism" INDEED promoted by American politicians ( both from left and right - Clinton was yet another example.)
Of course it's good that voices of reason are chiming in, like in this video, however...what gives?
I already pointed at the fact that at least from THEOLOGICAL point of view, America is not all that "exceptional" as it would like to claim.
Theological points of view are completely irrelevant. If you were to truly go there, one might as well claim that the US is exceptional because it has the largest Christian and Jewish population in the world. Doesn't that by extension justify it's actions? Of course not, therefore it's silly to try and bring in that angle.

American exceptionalism was coined by agents of the government, but is nowadays largely fueled by the international community who feel the need to bring up the US in everything.

I can't tell you how many foreign films I've seen that take place in the US, even though they are not in English and are obviously targeting a different audience. I mean, do I really need to see New York again? Do I need to hear Katy Perry for the up tenth time?

Making comments on the internet will get you labelled as an American. If you are bad at geography, people assume you are American. Why is that? Do you honestly believe that everyone else is so much more knowledgeable.

Many people love talking trash about America (not just politically), yet will pull out their iPhones, go to McDonald's or watch the latest Hollywood blockbuster.

There are countless examples that justify this position that I might as well write a book about it.

Those who mock/criticize the US for not adopting the metric system will never look at Liberia or Myanmar for ignoring it as well.

American exceptionalism is driven by the international community. Because guess what? Even if you wanna bash the US, you are still talking about it. I don't blame Americans a single bit for believing in it. When you use America as a metric for everything positive or negative, you are essentially admitting that all other countries might as well be irrelevant.

BTW, this theory wasn't even brought up by me in the first place. One of my Indian friends pointed it out. He is largely clueless about geography, and when I asked him why, his answer was very simple. "Because it's useless, none of those countries matter. All they do is piggyback at the hands of the US and then bash it when something goes wrong. The US is the only country that matters, no one really gives a sh** about the rest"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 06:11 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I don't need to watch an idiot like Hitchins to learn anything of value. I know what the Duma in Russia is proposing for sanctions: to cut off exports to the US and pirate American goods. If you think that is going to hurt us more than Russia, then I feel sorry for all Russians who support self inflicted madness such as this.

It does not surprise me though as Russia just banned their own messaging app, Telegram. I can't wait to see what's next to punish the West, perhaps stop selling oil or confiscate all western owned property in Russia.
If that ends up being true, then it is truly pathetic. Russia would only be proving American exceptionalism. If any country wants to truly boycott American goods, then they need to own up to that mantra.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:35 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,852,680 times
I'm looking forward to Russian TV claiming to have shot down our missiles.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:44 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Theological points of view are completely irrelevant. If you were to truly go there, one might as well claim that the US is exceptional because it has the largest Christian and Jewish population in the world. Doesn't that by extension justify it's actions? Of course not, therefore it's silly to try and bring in that angle.

American exceptionalism was coined by agents of the government, but is nowadays largely fueled by the international community who feel the need to bring up the US in everything.

I can't tell you how many foreign films I've seen that take place in the US, even though they are not in English and are obviously targeting a different audience. I mean, do I really need to see New York again? Do I need to hear Katy Perry for the up tenth time?

Making comments on the internet will get you labelled as an American. If you are bad at geography, people assume you are American. Why is that? Do you honestly believe that everyone else is so much more knowledgeable.

Many people love talking trash about America (not just politically), yet will pull out their iPhones, go to McDonald's or watch the latest Hollywood blockbuster.

There are countless examples that justify this position that I might as well write a book about it.

Those who mock/criticize the US for not adopting the metric system will never look at Liberia or Myanmar for ignoring it as well.

American exceptionalism is driven by the international community. Because guess what? Even if you wanna bash the US, you are still talking about it. I don't blame Americans a single bit for believing in it. When you use America as a metric for everything positive or negative, you are essentially admitting that all other countries might as well be irrelevant.

BTW, this theory wasn't even brought up by me in the first place. One of my Indian friends pointed it out. He is largely clueless about geography, and when I asked him why, his answer was very simple. "Because it's useless, none of those countries matter. All they do is piggyback at the hands of the US and then bash it when something goes wrong. The US is the only country that matters, no one really gives a sh** about the rest"
Your comments here are not related to the context of this video sorry to say.
If some Indian guy ( or whoever) considers the US to be an "exceptional country" ( because of the Hollywood or I-phones or whatever) - it's just an opinion that's not going to change anything, and thus is unimportant.
It's another thing, when a POLITICIAN justifies his decisions on a basis of claimed "exceptionalism" of his own country, in response to the warning of another one - "are we REALLY ALLOWED to do that?"

Yes of course *we* can do that. Why? Because MORALLY *we* are above anyone else, and thus we can act in such way, that others are not allowed to. And since we are "exceptional" - who is out there to judge us, and our actions?
And THIS is what brings the whole issue in theological dimension yet again.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:52 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Good thing Pompeo is unlikely to get confirmed.

So we have the attack...let's wait to see if it's more than an about face like last year....

Old 04-13-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I don't need to watch an idiot like Hitchins to learn anything of value.

....it seems like you do.....

Quote:
I know what the Duma in Russia is proposing for sanctions: to cut off exports to the US and pirate American goods. If you think that is going to hurt us more than Russia, then I feel sorry for all Russians who support self inflicted madness such as this.
If that is all you got, you better brush up your Russian skills...is way more than that....

Old 04-13-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
If that ends up being true, then it is truly pathetic. Russia would only be proving American exceptionalism. If any country wants to truly boycott American goods, then they need to own up to that mantra.
In fact is not true...DKM did not exactly understand what it's been proposed...

Old 04-13-2018, 09:22 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,852,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
....it seems like you do.....

If that is all you got, you better brush up your Russian skills...is way more than that....
You mistake my lack of patience with inability to understand what the drones in the Duma talk about. They say things all day they don't mean. Anyone could waste their life pointing out the idiocy spouting from that puppet chamber.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:48 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times
Another crime of the West. NATO attacked an independent country without UN permission again. NATO is a criminal group.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:40 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,163,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Another crime of the West. NATO attacked an independent country without UN permission again. NATO is a criminal group.
Government of RF is criminal group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe