Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2020, 08:00 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Erasure. I'm kind of out of my depth with this but I see where you're coming from. Currently the Russian government is Putin.

They're trying to change that. Less responsibility for the president more for the representatives.
The more I think about it the more visions of the corrupt and inefficient system we have come into my head.
One leader supported by good people is better than a pack of self serving reptiles that get nothing done at all.
I suspect these reforms will not lead to better governance. It will be the opposite.

But they can't.

You see, different parties ( and representatives) supporting different ideas, knowing how to go about it, how to argue their case on the floor, how to look for compromises and so on, is not something that can be born overnight or be done by someone's order.

For every Western country it was a lengthy process, according to every country's historic background and unique circumstances.

Putin and Co made sure that such process wouldn't have taken place, ( as much as Yeltsin before him,) with all their FSB, "riot police," mock courts ( "Basmanny court" as they refer to it in Russia,) and so on.
And now all of a sudden they decided to change it all?
Now why would that be a case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 11:21 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
But they can't.

You see, different parties ( and representatives) supporting different ideas, knowing how to go about it, how to argue their case on the floor, how to look for compromises and so on, is not something that can be born overnight or be done by someone's order.

For every Western country it was a lengthy process, according to every country's historic background and unique circumstances.

Putin and Co made sure that such process wouldn't have taken place, ( as much as Yeltsin before him,) with all their FSB, "riot police," mock courts ( "Basmanny court" as they refer to it in Russia,) and so on.
And now all of a sudden they decided to change it all?
Now why would that be a case?
I think the biggest issue Russia has is that Putin's party (United Russia) holds a super majority in the Duma (75%). So long as this super majority holds, these debates will not happen or at the very least the opposition will not be taken seriously and ignored. This fact also leads right up to Putin's reform, it doesn't threaten the status quo because United Russia is in control, and Putin is the head of that party so in reality he controls the Duma.

Which leads to the next point why even do this in the first place? Well I think they are learning some lessons from post Trump America. The whole world was shocked when Trump won, and so Russia has learned that a charismatic (real) populist also has the potential to win the presidency in Russia too, and that would spell disaster for United Russia, so by distributing a lot of the power to Duma they insure that even in such a scenario United Russia remains in power. On top of that they have also learned that Trump can easily retain his base even when he screws up because all he has to do is blame the democrats. So with this reform if something unpopular happens Putin can point his finger at the Duma and say it wasn't Duma's fault! On the flip side if a populist gets in power the Duma can road block all his proposals and say that the president isn't an effective leader who doesn't get anything done.

now circling back to the party makeup in the government all the minor parties at least those that are left leaning should join into one party and form an actual opposition and not these little parties that just squabble amongst each other, they can then split apart later but only when United Russia's power is put in check.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:51 PM

Maxim Frolov.

Since I posted this in the World section and I kept on watching the same channel ( the guy is doing a good job,) tell me where the heck is THIS?

Tell me it's part of the business district ( somewhere Krasnay Presnya) and not part of the "center of Moscow," or I will explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akyEgBVjBRg

Last edited by erasure; 05-25-2020 at 12:09 AM..

Old 05-25-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think the biggest issue Russia has is that Putin's party (United Russia) holds a super majority in the Duma (75%). So long as this super majority holds, these debates will not happen or at the very least the opposition will not be taken seriously and ignored. This fact also leads right up to Putin's reform, it doesn't threaten the status quo because United Russia is in control, and Putin is the head of that party so in reality he controls the Duma.

That's what I referred to as "Putin and Co" to begin with.

Quote:
Which leads to the next point why even do this in the first place? Well I think they are learning some lessons from post Trump America. The whole world was shocked when Trump won, and so Russia has learned that a charismatic (real) populist also has the potential to win the presidency in Russia too, and that would spell disaster for United Russia, so by distributing a lot of the power to Duma they insure that even in such a scenario United Russia remains in power. On top of that they have also learned that Trump can easily retain his base even when he screws up because all he has to do is blame the democrats. So with this reform if something unpopular happens Putin can point his finger at the Duma and say it wasn't Duma's fault! On the flip side if a populist gets in power the Duma can road block all his proposals and say that the president isn't an effective leader who doesn't get anything done.
And this "charismatic" in Russia would be WHO?

Putin is playing this very role for the last what? 25 years?

Quote:
now circling back to the party makeup in the government all the minor parties at least those that are left leaning should join into one party and form an actual opposition and not these little parties that just squabble amongst each other, they can then split apart later but only when United Russia's power is put in check.
Grega...
Once I've mentioned "Putin and Co" I have no idea what you are talking about here...
They are all the "yes" men to Putin's wishes, even if they don't belong to the "United Russia" party.

The guy I used to know from one of those "other" parties - he simply jumped out from this game; a decent guy, he said that it was all hopeless.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:15 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
That's what I referred to as "Putin and Co" to begin with.

And this "charismatic" in Russia would be WHO?

Putin is playing this very role for the last what? 25 years?

Grega...
Once I've mentioned "Putin and Co" I have no idea what you are talking about here...
They are all the "yes" men to Putin's wishes, even if they don't belong to the "United Russia" party.

The guy I used to know from one of those "other" parties - he simply jumped out from this game; a decent guy, he said that it was all hopeless.
It’s only hopeless when you give up, you have to look at the long game, start small and work you’r way up. They need to start winning local elections, then take control of some oblasts and then eventually start winning over entire regions and build some clout. Otherwise nobody’s going to take them seriously same applies to the opposition in the US. Everyone tries to go top down approach when it should be bottom up, I’m pretty sure there is thirst for other parties, particularly those that live far away from Moscow. But I definitely understand that’s hard work and uphill battle, and there will be many loses along the way such as what happened in Primosky Krai.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:30 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Quote:
Maxim Frolov.

Since I posted this in the World section and I kept on watching the same channel ( the guy is doing a good job,) tell me where the heck is THIS?

Tell me it's part of the business district ( somewhere Krasnay Presnya) and not part of the "center of Moscow," or I will explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akyEgBVjBRg
I want to say it's the Arbat but i don't think so. Some videos i see are from places I've been but thye have changed so much they;re entirely different.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:51 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
When it comes to these amendments i come to the same conclusion. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Russian politicians will become even more corrupt if they have the means. Maybe it's a good thing that the president will retain control of the military and security apparatus.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I want to say it's the Arbat but i don't think so. Some videos i see are from places I've been but thye have changed so much they;re entirely different.

"New Arbat" to be precise ( I see where it is now) - part of Moscow I have no affinity to, so whatever.

Looks like a new hotel ( Lotte,) but as I've said, don't know, don't care.

Now that video from the World section was few minutes away from my "hood," ( one of the oldest historic parts of Moscow,) and that's where I think they inflicted the most damage.

( I guess I start preparing myself mentally for a trip over there which is long overdue, and *friends and family* keep on sending me pics of "new Moscow," trying to convince me how much it "improved," but I don't know how to explain to them that I am not really thrilled with the changes I see. )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB5ADbk2cfY

Old 05-25-2020, 05:37 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:

"New Arbat" to be precise ( I see where it is now) - part of Moscow I have no affinity to, so whatever.

Looks like a new hotel ( Lotte,) but as I've said, don't know, don't care.

Now that video from the World section was few minutes away from my "hood," ( one of the oldest historic parts of Moscow,) and that's where I think they inflicted the most damage.

( I guess I start preparing myself mentally for a trip over there which is long overdue, and *friends and family* keep on sending me pics of "new Moscow," trying to convince me how much it "improved," but I don't know how to explain to them that I am not really thrilled with the changes I see. )

When was the last time you went to Moscow?

I'll be frank, I do like the look of the International Business Center. From a distance, it's quite aesthetically appealing, but I wouldn't want the whole city to emulate that style. Keep those skyscrapers in certain districts.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
When was the last time you went to Moscow?

I'll be frank, I do like the look of the International Business Center. From a distance, it's quite aesthetically appealing, but I wouldn't want the whole city to emulate that style. Keep those skyscrapers in certain districts.

Oh, I don't mind it to be AWAY from the central part, at the spot where it currently is, close to the former Business Center "Crown Plaza" ( saw another cute video with that one lately)

But I'll get back to that later if you don't mind MWR, here is something else that caught my eye today; so news first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe