Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2020, 07:02 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times

Advertisements

The Dyatolov case.

https://tass.com/emergencies/1177345
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 07:08 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
This is a clear indicator of someone who simply doesn't understand.

Before you accuse someone of having a dirty home you really should take a look at your own first.

I'm an American. Born and bred. I am not free. I live in a gilded cage.

Do you want to explain how you're not free? It's hard to understand local politics as outsider but he been president for very long time there. To me he is a dictator being there is small to 0 chances that he will not win. It also appears from my reading that Russia has lots of corruption and freedom of expression' free media been limited over the years. Supposedly Russia has death squad that sent after any political figure that speaks bad about Putin.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Oh boy...
Easthome, I first wanted to ask you - why exactly the 50ies? Was it any different in the 40ies, or in the 30ies in this respect ( where you are)?

And then I remembered that the 50ies were the last period, after which things started changing in this respect in the bourgeois societies - after that came the 60ies and the 70ies with already known agenda, where "women's rights" are tightly tied with the "gays rights" and "minority rights."

But that's in the Anglo-world, however in Russia things were completely, completely different.
So before you start torturing poor Maxim (who might not be all that aware of the major differences,) with these kind of questions, let me explain to you couple of things, why Russians can't even relate to your statements.
To begin with - Russian women were already emancipated long before women in your society were, and not in a fake way as it is in the Anglo-world - far away from it.

The emancipation fell on the heads of Russian women in the beginning of the previous century whether they liked it or not. And it fell on them hard - with construction sites of the Soviet "five year plans," where they had to work side by side with men, digging the ditches and stacking up the bricks, with the guns they had to carry through the WWII, while in the forests of the guerilla war, or while flying the bomber planes behind the enemies front lines.

And they were doing that NOT because they were looking for "promotions and better pay" as it is in America, but because it was a matter of life and death FOR REAL.
And if they were not fighting on front lines, they were driving trains under constant shelling, patrolling the streets of the bombed cities at night helping the wounded, or working three shifts at the factories, producing weapons. ( NOT a matter of choice yet again.) All while still raising children alone minding you, putting the bread on their table, or downright risking their lives for that at any moment, while being under the German occupation.

Do you understand now, why your question about the 50ies ( and what/how Russians felt about them) is completely irrelevant?

Same goes to "race" - Russians simply didn't HAVE Blacks ( or people of color colonized or imported from elsewhere throughout their history.)
Hence - no relation to this issue either.

So this leaves us with one, and one thing only - that is gay people and the attitude towards them, but that's a whole different story, that you can't put it in the same context of "male-female relationship" or racial issues, as it is in the Anglo-world.

So don't torture poor Maxim for nothing - he won't be a big help to you here.
Easthome is a certifiable Russophobe. he has no clue at all about the 1950s in Russia, he has no clue about the damage done in WWII. He has no clue about what it took to rebuild that country. He's utterly clueless.

What the Soviets did was nothing less than miraculous.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:37 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Do you want to explain how you're not free? It's hard to understand local politics as outsider but he been president for very long time there. To me he is a dictator being there is small to 0 chances that he will not win. It also appears from my reading that Russia has lots of corruption and freedom of expression' free media been limited over the years. Supposedly Russia has death squad that sent after any political figure that speaks bad about Putin.

Yes-yes-yes..
"Death squads," "lots of corruption," "limited freedom of expression" - say whatever.
But unless you know/understand what took place in the nineties, you won't understand why Russians keep on voting for Putin.
He might have plenty of shortcomings in INTERNAL politics, but he assured Russia's security in INTERNATIONAL politics.

And if you don't understand how severely Russian independence was threatened back in the 90ies, then you won't understand why they prefer to keep him around, in spite of all his minuses.

Your propaganda machine won't tell you anything about THAT part of the story of course.

Last edited by erasure; 07-11-2020 at 08:19 PM..

Old 07-11-2020, 07:50 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Easthome is a certifiable Russophobe. he has no clue at all about the 1950s in Russia, he has no clue about the damage done in WWII. He has no clue about what it took to rebuild that country. He's utterly clueless.

And so am I sorta...

You know, it's one thing to deal with reasonable people like Maxim or Zimogor ( the kind of people that were thrown under the bus during the nineties, the ones that don't want anything of yours, but who sure know what's rightfully theirs,)) and it's another thing to deal with the likes of Zhirinovsky and some other Russian nationalists out there )))

Old 07-11-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Do you want to explain how you're not free?
Look, no one is truly "free". It's a matter of degrees and if you ask me Russians that walk the street over there have a much higher degree of freedom than Americans, more opportunity and more choices.

Here's an example.

There was a girl my daughter knew when she was in Moscow. She was a kid from some small village. Do you know how she survived as a student? Selling honey she bought from farmers to Muscovites. She had a small car and drove all over the countryside collecting in. Just try to make a living here in America doing that.

Personally I'm not free because my quality of life depends on outside forces that impose standards on me that are not my choices. I just had a few encounters with our medical systems. My dad always said that if some stranger says they'll take care of you to be very afraid. He was right. It's better to die a free man than to live as an indentured servant/slave.

Quote:
It's hard to understand local politics as outsider but he been president for very long time there. To me he is a dictator being there is small to 0 chances that he will not win.
He is their Tsar (king) all you have to accept and understand is that the only people whom business it is, is Russians.

That's the way they roll. Leave it alone.

Quote:
It also appears from my reading that Russia has lots of corruption and freedom of expression' free media been limited over the years. Supposedly Russia has death squad that sent after any political figure that speaks bad about Putin.
Corruption is everywhere. Period.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:51 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:

And what exactly does this have to do with what I said!? Absolutely nothing! lol.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
And what exactly does this have to do with what I said!? Absolutely nothing! lol.
History has everything to do with it. Why do Russians think the way they do, why do Russians do things the way they do? Why do people, humans do what they do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvpJEc-NxVc

You don't know your history.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:20 AM

Erasure.

You are a bit of a Russophobe but your phobia is tempered because of your knowledge. You are not rabid or fanatical, you can compromise.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:46 AM

Worlds largest icebreakers to be built. Capable of breaking 15 ft thick ice, that means it can go just about anywhere.

https://www.rt.com/business/494155-r...reaker-arctic/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe