Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 02:22 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Nope nope and nope. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but being bigger than average is not healthy and most people don't find that beautiful or healthy. Likewise, being average is also not beautiful; it is, by definition, average. I don't know what you're getting at about people not working out but still looking like models and actresses or eating your way into a better body...?

If you're an averaged body person and you're fine with going to happy hours and eating pizza and don't want a six pack that's fine. If you want to feel validated then that's your own issue and obviously, you are having issues with your body awareness if you need that validation. Show progress pictures on a website like Fitness for Women! or to friends and family. No one, however, is posting pictures of you on tabloids and pointing out your flaws. If you look at tabloids of average celebrities and that causes you to have body awareness issues, that is also something that you have to deal with yourself.

The point is, if you have issues with your body, they're your issues. No one gave them to you, no one ordered you to have them. If you have some issues with how you look because of what people say about celebrities, then you have issues with your body. End of story. How you react to that is your problem, not the magazines, not the fitspo people, not some random person on a forum.

This scene from scrubs really describes it best. He could be the best surgeon, but he doesn't put in the same amount of time as the best surgeon, so he will never be there. Obviously, it bothers him but he doesn't put in the work to be that good. That's fine, but don't say "I'm fine" when you obviously aren't.

Scrubs 3x12 My Catalys Sub Español (2/2) - YouTube
You can't just ignore public ideals on beauty and how they affect self image. Sure we need to own up to our issues, but that also means standing up for our own reasons or "excuses." I think that is what women are doing here, standing up for their own issues...you may call it whining.

How is being bigger than average not healthy, but yet being toned and eating disordered considered healthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 02:33 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Maybe the excuses are just reasons and women feel they have to make the excuses because other people won't mind their business. Some people give too much unsolicited advice.

Models/pageant girls/fitness instructors are doing a job that is their looks. Other people have other jobs and lifestyles so there is no reason a person who is not a model should have to look like one, or expect to, or care if they don't. An average woman who goes out there posting modeling type photos is going to be ridiculed by someone.

I just can't see why anyone is worried about what this model/fitness competitor/instructor who is selling her program does or says. Very few women would look like her regardless of what they do, but so what, everyone has their own unique assets and talents. I would take being average looking and/or overweight over having a serious eating disorder ANY day and I would hope most healthy minded people would feel that way.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,645 times
That mom's intentions are good, but her social graces are lacking.

While some people are overreacting, she could have gotten her point across just as (possibly more) effectively in a more tactful manner. If she had simply done that, then I bet this entire controversy wouldn't have existed in the first place.

Now if she deliberately wanted to stir up controversy and publicity, that's another story.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:10 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Or should could have had a message that was built for a narrow band of people who were willingly engaged in her program and then a year later some people in the general public, who weren't even the intended audience, got oversensitive

Old 10-17-2013, 04:18 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
I think she looks gorgeous. People need to get a life and stop getting offended over everything.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:23 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Will the person forced to do anything because of what that woman in Elk Grove said please stand up and be recognized?

If not, then why all the fuss?

That woman didn't say you had to do anything. So many low esteem, frail egos around that can't stand anyone saying anything lest it hurt their feelings or question their sensibilities. She should have this or that. According to you?

My goodness, if it bothers you that much, strip naked and to a turn in the mirror. If you like what you see, why bother thinking about it? If you don't like what you see, you have choices but they are your choices and you are the one that lives with them.

Never seen so much nonsense in a long time.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:25 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
That mom's intentions are good, but her social graces are lacking.

While some people are overreacting, she could have gotten her point across just as (possibly more) effectively in a more tactful manner. If she had simply done that, then I bet this entire controversy wouldn't have existed in the first place.

Now if she deliberately wanted to stir up controversy and publicity, that's another story.
The only reason there is controversy is because some people sit here saying what she could have or should have done.

Who is stopping you? Go do it already.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:25 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I wasn't aware that anyone on this thread was that bothered about it. Someone started a thread so people could comment on it and voice their opinions. So they did.

Isn't that what an anonymous internet message board is for?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:37 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Nope nope and nope. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but being bigger than average is not healthy and most people don't find that beautiful or healthy. Likewise, being average is also not beautiful; it is, by definition, average. I don't know what you're getting at about people not working out but still looking like models and actresses or eating your way into a better body...?

If you're an averaged body person and you're fine with going to happy hours and eating pizza and don't want a six pack that's fine. If you want to feel validated then that's your own issue and obviously, you are having issues with your body awareness if you need that validation. Show progress pictures on a website like Fitness for Women! or to friends and family. No one, however, is posting pictures of you on tabloids and pointing out your flaws. If you look at tabloids of average celebrities and that causes you to have body awareness issues, that is also something that you have to deal with yourself.

The point is, if you have issues with your body, they're your issues. No one gave them to you, no one ordered you to have them. If you have some issues with how you look because of what people say about celebrities, then you have issues with your body. End of story. How you react to that is your problem, not the magazines, not the fitspo people, not some random person on a forum.

This scene from scrubs really describes it best. He could be the best surgeon, but he doesn't put in the same amount of time as the best surgeon, so he will never be there. Obviously, it bothers him but he doesn't put in the work to be that good. That's fine, but don't say "I'm fine" when you obviously aren't.

Scrubs 3x12 My Catalys Sub Español (2/2) - YouTube
You still dont get it and you are still refusing to understand my point. You only want to talk about extremes. You mention the problems of being obese or larger then average as if those are the only alternstives to being a gym rat professional fitness model.

last time: I specifically pointed out that people who dont have a chiseled body of a professional athelete but are still of healthy body weight can be put off by this womans attituide and the attitude the media takes to those who dont have what the consider to be a perfect body. Women of average build dont can still have a pooch or a pudge or larger then average hips or butts or thighs or chests and not be close to death because of their weight. They may also have some less then desirable fat in othrt places but again be PERFECTLY HEALTHY. However if they so much as say they are happy they are subject to ridicule and derision by the fitness and fashion police who deem any one outside their norms to be unhealthy fat and lazy...

you are kidding yourself and have no clue about what is like to be a woman or raise one if you dont think girls are affected by the media in terms of body image I find your statements on this to be...tragically ignorant and out of touch with reality.

You cant see any grey. Just morbidly obese and gym rat.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:50 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
She is right. We all make excuses why we don't do this that etc. You find the time to eat, shower, shave, go see a movie, go on a date, etc. I hear a lot of people say I'm gonna start working out, but sit there eating a Twinkie or flipping the channel or sit online. Or as soon as x happens I will start doing y. And when x does happen the excuses of y not being done start.
That lady finds the time to go and work out and takes care of herself. So she had three kids and looks like she does. I think there are a lot of jealous people who are perturbed at her audacity. Problem us she is one hundred percent right.
Stop being so indignant about what she said. There are way too many candy azzes in the world. Everyone needs to be coddled, hugged and have their diaper changed.
I don't care how you look or if you work out or are a couch potato but don't get mad when someone is proud of what they achieve and flaunts it. She is proud if what she achieved. I say more power to her. She looks great. Most of the Bicker Bickersons who are butt hurt are cry babies anyway. Toughen the hell up

Last edited by Electrician4you; 10-17-2013 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness