Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 06:07 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The OP thinks Soledad is a "beautiful" name for a girl?

He might like the name but how could it ever be considered beautiful for a girl?

Many Spanish names, though nice sounding, actually have a meaning that is not something I would personally like for my daughter. The one that comes to mind is Dolores. It sounds really nice, and is very popular... but it means pains/sufferings. Who truly wants to be named that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 10:15 AM

836 posts, read 2,948,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Many Spanish names, though nice sounding, actually have a meaning that is not something I would personally like for my daughter. The one that comes to mind is Dolores. It sounds really nice, and is very popular... but it means pains/sufferings. Who truly wants to be named that?
Dolores is a name of Latin origin, doloris, and refers the pains Mary suffered when his son Jesus was in the Calvary and crucifixion.

So for many Catholics it may make sense, also lolita is a nice derivative.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Names, one of my favorite topics! I'm glad I found this thread. I'm only to post 120. I apologize if I'm being repetitious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
For girls, McKenzie is by far the worst IMO. Hope, Destiny, Faith, Quinn, Molly, Claire, Madeleine, Katelyn, Abigail, Jenna, Heather, Cathy, Caitlyn, Hannah, Grace, Demi, Katie, Chloe, Gertrude, Margot, Olga, Bertha, Bridget, and anything that ends in -lynn.

For guys, Caleb is the worst, followed by Jayden, Brayden, Ayden, Caden, Sladen, Kaden, Rayden, Skyler, Tanner, and Logan.

On the flip side, I think Penelope, Sofia, Olivia, Sveta, Yesenia, Yelena, Yasmin, Yardenia, Izabela, Natalia, Kseniya, Graciela, Consuela, Marisol, Soledad, and Ariana are beautiful names.

For guys, I love names Maksim, Andrei, Ismael, Tyshawn, Aleksei, Salvador, Miguel, Bautista, Cristobal, Volodya, Vitaly, Fernando, Yaroslav, Miroslav, Nikolai, Gabriel, and Andres.
Don't like most of your faves, but I agree with that Jayden, etc. list. I once made a list for another message board of these names. Alphabetically, Aiden, Braden, Caden, Grayden, Hayden, Jaden, Kaden, Zaden, and all their variations, using Braden (which I assume, though who knows, is the correct spelling): Braden, Brayden, Braeden, Bradyn, Braydyn, Braedyn, Bradon, etc. I work in a pediatrician's office and see these names every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I like traditional names, and some old fashioned ones as well. Spelled correctly, please. It makes me laugh when someone takes a common name and adds their own "unique" spelling, so it is impossible to recognize. I also really dislike the names a lot of celebrities have named their kids: North, Apple, Suri, etc. Christie Brinkley named her daughter Sailor. Ugh.

Since moving down south, I've noticed a lot of male names that are just weird. Why would anyone name their kid Hunter? Archer? Gunner?
"Gunnar" is Scandinavian. It means something like "warrior".
Gunnar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree. And why those names? How come no one names their baby Camden or Newark?
Actually, out here in CO, people do name their kids Camden, also Camdyn, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
OLd-fashioned sounding names are making a comeback, I have noticed.
Very much so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Half the girls I went to school with in the 80s-90s were Amy or Sara/h. The other half were Jennifer and Jessica.
There seem to be lots of young moms these days named Kirsten, Kristy, Christy, Krissy, etc, judging from my patients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
This happens a lot among non english speaking people who don't realize that Harry, Larry, Will, Bill, Teddy, etc are actually nicknames. I was unfortunately given such a nickname. I'm not crazy about it but it's ok
I hear tell it's also southern.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:42 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Dolores is a name of Latin origin, doloris, and refers the pains Mary suffered when his son Jesus was in the Calvary and crucifixion.

So for many Catholics it may make sense, also lolita is a nice derivative.

No: you really shouldn't name a little girl "Lolita". It has a pretty sound, but far too many very inappropriate connotations, thanks to Nabokov.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:28 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
To me, these are dog names
Haha. I hear ya. I saw a headline yesterday concerning a lawsuit involving Jermaine Jackson. His two sons were with him, one named Jermajesty (even the spelling is more than slightly odd).

Dogs are Prince & Princess. And, Kitt'Ns are Queen & King... because they are the true gods/goddesses of the Universe & rightly so.

Honestly, I'm not annoyed by anyone's birth name. It wasn't their choice. But, we all have preferences.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:45 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
I don't understand why people consider a certain name because of what it means.

In real life......has anyone ever run to look up the meaning of someone's name to decide whether it is a nice name or not?

People are going to judge a name by how it sounds or what type of cultural connotations it brings up.....not by what it supposedly means.

Seriously, would you name your kid Bertha or Horace because you liked what the name means?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Au contraire, I think considering the meaning of the name, either in general (David means "beloved") or to the person, as in naming someone for a relative, is a nice thing. I honestly find it much better than this Aiden, Braden, Caden stuff that is totally (IMO) meaningless.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:06 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
To me, these are dog names
When I was a kid, our dog was named Debbie. My brother named her after a girl he had a crush on.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Au contraire, I think considering the meaning of the name, either in general (David means "beloved") or to the person, as in naming someone for a relative, is a nice thing. I honestly find it much better than this Aiden, Braden, Caden stuff that is totally (IMO) meaningless.
"Aiden" is a very old name (Irish monk in the 7th century, Catholic saint), so even if it's not your ethnicity or religion, to Irish people and Catholics the name might not be so meaningless.

The name seemed to have gained popularity in the US about ten years ago or so, and then after that all the names that rhyme with it started popping up.

A woman I know has a great-grandson named Jayden, and every time she talks about him I think, "what a stupid, jump-on-the-bandwagon name for a little boy". LOL. His parents are about 20 years old.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I don't understand why people consider a certain name because of what it means.

In real life......has anyone ever run to look up the meaning of someone's name to decide whether it is a nice name or not?

People are going to judge a name by how it sounds or what type of cultural connotations it brings up.....not by what it supposedly means.

Seriously, would you name your kid Bertha or Horace because you liked what the name means?
Um, yes--isn't that the point of all those baby-name books they sell with the name meanings in them? Well, now that most of the info is online, they probably don't sell so many, but yes, people do look up the meanings of baby names, all the time.

I named my daughter after my MIL, who died while I was pregnant, but I wanted to make sure the name didn't mean something negative, either, or I wouldn't have used it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty