Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2021, 08:21 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Clothing has changed, and will continue to change, in regards as to what is acceptable for men and for women and that is also a fact.

Tho changing what is “acceptable” is super different than “no gender clothing” IMO.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Tho changing what is “acceptable” is super different than “no gender clothing” IMO.
I totally agree. Fashions change constantly, and often mirror political movements as well. I just don't see a market for "no gender clothing" but if someone does, they sure can jump on it. If there's a demand, people will buy it.

But not me.

Look, I have really short hair. But it's FEMININE. It's not a man's cut or a genderless cut.

I also wear jeans sometimes, most of the time actually. But they are clearly feminine jeans, often with embellishments, trim, etc. I guess if men want to wear them, they can, but I hope the jeans fit them, which means they'll have to have a smaller waist and larger hips and long legs because that's the way these are cut. And I bought them from a store full of feminine clothing. Men could probably wear some shawls, jewelry, scarves, etc. but the shirts and blouses and jackets have darts for breasts and I'm pretty sure the shoulders are cut more for a woman's shape than a man's (same with the pants and skirts and dresses and all that). But if a man wants to try them - knock 'em out, baby. Doesn't sound like a man who would appeal to me but maybe I wouldn't appeal to him either so I guess that's a win win.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:20 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
My female body is very different from my husband's male body and I'm very glad that they are different. I like wearing clothing that flatters a female body. I don't think there are many men whose bodies would fit into clothing that fits and flatters mine. Are you suggesting that all clothing should be loose and boxy so that anyone's body could fit into it? I guess I'm not fully understanding your question.
I agree what a load of tosh..

Old 05-19-2021, 10:14 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shania02 View Post
Now day's we have gender typical clothing and styles for man and woman.
But why must have clothing a gender?
Is it may be better that clothing should have no gender and everyone can choose what he/she likes to wear?
Because the importend thing to wear clothing is to keep us warm, so why have clothing a gender?
is this person serious? people choose the clothing they wish to buy. if they dont want a clothing they feel doesnt properly represent their gender (or lack thereof) then they should choose that. why would you wish to take away options from people who want those options?

Old 05-19-2021, 01:00 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Consider that for every guy who wants to wear a dress there are something like 100,000 women who want a dress. And 99,000 of those women don't want men poking around in the dress section.

You may feel that you need to re-engineer people to your liking, but merchants are interested in selling stuff. They're not going to anger 99,000 customers for the sake of a particular philosophical stance held by 1 customer.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:26 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shania02 View Post
Now day's we have gender typical clothing and styles for man and woman.
But why must have clothing a gender?
Is it may be better that clothing should have no gender and everyone can choose what he/she likes to wear?
Because the importend thing to wear clothing is to keep us warm, so why have clothing a gender?
This sort of thing seemed like it was "just dictated". For example, many decades back, if not the toy manufacturers, then the retailers back then were saying toys needed to be for one gender or another (don't recall if they worked on any that were deemed suitable for both). In addition to having action figures for boys, and dolls for girls, video games ended up arbitrarily going to boys.

I did some research before about clothing, and similar deal. One big thing seems to be bible influences. It was enough that pegged women into wearing dresses as "being proper".

But yeah there are exceptions to these norms. Things were quite different even hundreds of years back. Women wouldn't wear anything but a dress. Nowadays, the tables have sort of turned, and it's "socially acceptable" for a woman to also wear jeans/shorts, while also rocking skirts and dresses. Men may have gotten away with wearing robes and dresses back then, but now, less so.

However, I still want to conform to modern times in some cases. For job interviews, I'll still wear suits ties, dress pants and shoes unless explicitly told not to (I've known women to wear pants here). I'll go casual or business casual on the job if that's OK.

As far as gender neutral, as long as the clothing fits and works for the person, then I wouldn't care either. For example, kilts aren't just "skirts, but for men". They are form fitted for their bodies (ie. different curves). Women should have the option in wearing pants if they're doing activities like digging ditches, horseback rider, and other labor.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:32 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Consider that for every guy who wants to wear a dress there are something like 100,000 women who want a dress. And 99,000 of those women don't want men poking around in the dress section.

You may feel that you need to re-engineer people to your liking, but merchants are interested in selling stuff. They're not going to anger 99,000 customers for the sake of a particular philosophical stance held by 1 customer.

Huh. But a guy shopping around the lingerie department for a gift for his wife is different?

Or ANY guy shopping in the woman's dept. for a gift?

Honestly, I am not that delicate. I can shop next to a man.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-19-2021, 01:44 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Huh. But a guy shopping around the lingerie department for a gift for his wife is different?

Ita....but I wouldn’t feel comfortable having a man poking around the dressing room curtain if I’m trying on a bra or bikini.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:33 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

And a significant portion of shopping is done online, anyway, so that point is moot.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:48 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
The Heaven's Gate cult folks went out in style, all dressing the same, and even going to the point of having same hairstyle for males and females. They'd support this, though they are no longer around. Watch out for those comets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty