Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2021, 03:02 PM

1,702 posts, read 783,863 times

Advertisements

I think we should all walk around in oversized potato sacks

Old 07-22-2021, 03:32 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
I think we should all walk around in oversized potato sacks

That’s what it seems like some ppl in the thread want. AND instead of just wearing a potato sack themselves, they want everybody to wear one & we can call it a “gender neutral” potato sack..

Old 07-23-2021, 09:17 PM

2,978 posts, read 1,647,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shania02 View Post
Now day's we have gender typical clothing and styles for man and woman.
But why must have clothing a gender?
Is it may be better that clothing should have no gender and everyone can choose what he/she likes to wear?
Because the importend thing to wear clothing is to keep us warm, so why have clothing a gender?
Keeping warm is by no means the only purpose of clothing.

Clothing from back in the dim past has served many functions other than keeping the wearer warm.

Clothing is most often used to heighten the attractiveness of people, also their importance in society. Look at the iconic images of Egyptian pharaohs and their queens. The statuesque quality, the intricately folded fabric, the clean lines of headdress. To the people of that day, this was how gods looked and dressed.

Even furs were worn as signs of rank, not just for warmth.

Elizabeth l was famously respected for her presentational style of dress aggressively suggesting power and wealth.

In more modern day, Brooks Brothers suits and Arrow collars, in ads illustrated by J.C. Leyendecker that are collector's items today, presented the ultimate in manly beauty, style and grace. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/38IRUKw0uhY/maxresdefault.jpg

But what are you suggesting, that clothing be designed that either sex can wear? No girly styles, no manly men styles?

No club wear that is specifically for women?

No joggers, polo shirts, tuxedoes, suits for men?

Or Unisex clothing for everyone? How boring a world that would be.

As it is now, most everyone can wear whatever they like. Who cares what people wear? I certainly don't.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:23 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,752 times
Quote:
Is it may be better that clothing should have no gender and everyone can choose what he/she likes to wear?
Because the importend thing to wear clothing is to keep us warm, so why have clothing a gender?

Why don't we just let people decide for themselves what they want to wear (as if they can't already).

Don't worry about stuff like this. It's pointless.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Why don't we just let people decide for themselves what they want to wear (as if they can't already).

Don't worry about stuff like this. It's pointless.
It is a thought exercise. But yes, pointless.

Old 07-31-2021, 04:24 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,224,552 times
Quote:
Clothing doesn't have gender it's just bits of cloth. There are clothes taylored for men and women based on the shape of their bodies respectively. You can wear clothing made for ether sex all you want.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:17 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
This article about LGBTQ folks creating their own clothes to get around gender norms for clothes popped up this weekend.

Quote:
"I think gender and gender norms are super limiting for everyone," said Terrance Williams, an avid designer and sewer.

"For me, clothing has always just been clothing. I have never assigned a gender to anything I wear. And now, it's even more so like that — because it's just cotton, or just polyester, or just sequins. It's really about how it makes you feel."

Old 08-01-2021, 10:01 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It is a thought exercise. But yes, pointless.

It's either a thought exercise.... or it's pointless. Either or. Not both.

We Westerners are not going to redesign the world according to our little fads. Just like we aren't going to do a lot of other things that we think we can do just because we can do it, no matter what little ideology we're pushing.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:55 AM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Every time I see this thread title, reminds me of this:

Old 08-06-2021, 06:03 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This article about LGBTQ folks creating their own clothes to get around gender norms for clothes popped up this weekend.
LOl, the CD censors won't let the link go through because of the que** word that rhymes with beer. I found it interesting because it's exactly what I have been talking about in this thread.
"So it's about making styles work for the bodies that we have." -Tess Clabby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty