Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2021, 07:29 AM

1,349 posts, read 664,249 times

Advertisements

(didn't read all replies)

I don't know if they "should" but as I was telling a friend the other day, with the very hot days we've been having here, women can wear anything and were I a man, i'd be rooting for the right to wear skirts and dresses, so much more comfortable and "airy" than pants or even shorts !

Old 07-22-2021, 09:01 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
I'd suggest the Indian outfit called salwar kameez for you guys who want to be cool but still dressed. You can purchase them in very light, airy fabrics. My understsanding is that these outfits were designed to keep people covered AND cool in the hot climates of India and Pakistan. You know, native dress. Wear what people wear in really hot climates.
They are really very comfortable. You can roll up the pants and the sleeves of the shirt if you really had to.

I wear shirts called Kurta..a tunic shirt made of the lightest fabric....and even with the long sleeves they are very cool and comfy.

You gotta really have the legs to pull off a dress (guys)

Here's a couple of links:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/8535614...67f09297ce4fde

https://www.etsy.com/listing/7198863...222ab360ef5793

Old 07-22-2021, 09:59 AM

1,319 posts, read 856,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shania02 View Post
Now day's we have gender typical clothing and styles for man and woman.
But why must have clothing a gender?
Is it may be better that clothing should have no gender and everyone can choose what he/she likes to wear?
Because the importend thing to wear clothing is to keep us warm, so why have clothing a gender?
wear whatever you like
never understood why women wear skirts esp part of business attire , and men cannot wear shorts [ can but considered inappropriate]

Old 07-22-2021, 10:14 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
never understood why women wear skirts esp part of business attire , and men cannot wear shorts [ can but considered inappropriate]

Tho women can’t wear shorts either. edit: So how does my skirt have anything to do with you not being able to wear shorts?^^

Last edited by TashaPosh; 07-22-2021 at 11:38 AM..

Old 07-22-2021, 12:41 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
I'm thinking maybe OP was wishing she didn't have to CHOOSE to wear gender neutral clothing...that somehow, society would come around to her way of thinking, and therefore, not have to stand out, as someone who chooses to wear gender neutral clothing. Everybody would look the same.

I can understand that mindset. It's the brave person who bucks from tradition, and doesn't mind standing out. I don't have an opinion as to the rightness or wrongness of it...but I get it.

You know...back when Chairman Mao was in charge of things, he mandated a dress code of sorts, where everyone dressed the same. He got rid of the artists, the literary people, merchants...anyone and anything that suggested individuality.

He is who I think of, when people suggest that everyone should look a certain way, or act a certain way.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:50 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shania02 View Post
Now day's we have gender typical clothing and styles for man and woman.
But why must have clothing a gender?
Is it may be better that clothing should have no gender and everyone can choose what he/she likes to wear?
Because the importend thing to wear clothing is to keep us warm, so why have clothing a gender?

For things like sweatpants or other loose clothing, it may not matter. But men and women have different physiques in terms of chest, shoulder-to-hip ratio, and waist-to-hip ratio, and their clothes require different cuts, inseams, and tailoring. So, regardless of style, any kind of clothing that has a defined shape will always be manufactured or tailored according to gender.

In terms of style, the low demand among men for fitted dresses and other traditionally female attire wouldn't be practical for mass production.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:58 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Not everyone wants or needs to have their clothing fit like it was tailor made. For many of us, as long as we can get into it & button/zip it up without busting out then it fits. If we can't then we just buy the next size up.

A man is not likely to be able to wear a blouse or a dress without having it altered. Or do you know men with breasts and round hips?

Old 07-22-2021, 02:36 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm thinking maybe OP was wishing she didn't have to CHOOSE to wear gender neutral clothing...that somehow, society would come around to her way of thinking, and therefore, not have to stand out, as someone who chooses to wear gender neutral clothing. Everybody would look the same.

AND what fun would that be...if everybody looked the same? Love & embrace our differences!

Old 07-22-2021, 02:46 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
For things like sweatpants or other loose clothing, it may not matter. But men and women have different physiques in terms of chest, shoulder-to-hip ratio, and waist-to-hip ratio, and their clothes require different cuts, inseams, and tailoring. So, regardless of style, any kind of clothing that has a defined shape will always be manufactured or tailored according to gender.

In terms of style, the low demand among men for fitted dresses and other traditionally female attire wouldn't be practical for mass production.
Right, but you can also say the same within each gender, which is why we have different cuts for petite, misses, women's, plus size, big and tall, husky, etc, etc. It's not strictly according to gender only. I think it will be interesting to see if that low demand changes as cultural norms shift, and if I'll be around long enough to see it happen!

Old 07-22-2021, 02:51 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Right, but you can also say the same within each gender, which is why we have different cuts for petite, misses, women's, plus size, big and tall, husky, etc, etc. It's not strictly according to gender only. I think it will be interesting to see if that low demand changes as cultural norms shift, and if I'll be around long enough to see it happen!
Yeah, 100 years ago people would have said that there's a low demand for women's pants/trousers, and look at us now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty