Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 02:27 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
When they have it on sale it is DEFINITELY not overpriced.
Also, Costco (I use BJs, but same difference) is 45 minutes away. Publix is 2 minutes away.
And like I said, if I need a variety of things right away, it's right there, and quite frankly, at a decent price.

Also, at a glance online, the brand I typically buy is 12 MEGA rolls for $8.99 at Publix.
The same brand, non-mega, but just BIG, is 24 rolls for $16 at Costco -- online price. It's a bit more in store.

Hardly what I call OVERPRICED. Ironically, the prices are in the same range, despite the one at Publix being a better product.

But yeah, who in their right mind would buy that at Publix?

Maybe you should, in fact, research.
I can't find that price in the ad. What page is it on? 12 double on sale but no mega rolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 04:35 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
I can't find that price in the ad. What page is it on? 12 double on sale but no mega rolls.
Angel Soft Unscented Bathroom Tissue - Publix - Weekly Ad - Mount Dora

Old 03-15-2018, 07:01 AM

Pretty good deal...... but. It's cheaper at Winn Dixie. Front page of the ad.

@ Pub - $8.99 divided by 48 (12x4) = .18729 per single roll
@ WD - $5.49 divided by 32 (16x2) = .17156 per single roll

.18729 - .17156 = .01573 x 48 = .755 per 48 single rolls.

While 75 cents doesn't seem like much, it's only one item. Like I said, anything in Publix ad can be found cheaper somewhere else and popping in to pick up two or three items doesn't sound convenient or time saving. More like poor planning. The extra cost for a cart full is HUGE!

Every time one of these Publix threads comes up posters fall all over themselves trying to convince us (and themselves) that Publix is THE golden grocery store and nothing else can touch it.

So they can jet dry their carts, cut up your melons, and have stores on every corner but if you shop there you're paying for extra for it. Higher prices doesn't make them the best grocery store in Florida.

Last edited by FLHfan; 03-15-2018 at 07:21 AM..

Old 03-15-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Pretty good deal...... but. It's cheaper at Winn Dixie. Front page of the ad.

@ Pub - $8.99 divided by 48 (12x4) = .18729 per single roll
@ WD - $5.49 divided by 32 (16x2) = .17156 per single roll

.18729 - .17156 = .01573 x 48 = .755 per 48 single rolls.

While 75 cents doesn't seem like much, it's only one item. Like I said, anything in Publix ad can be found cheaper somewhere else and popping in to pick up two or three items doesn't sound convenient or time saving. More like poor planning. The extra cost for a cart full is HUGE!

Every time one of these Publix threads comes up posters fall all over themselves trying to convince us (and themselves) that Publix is THE golden grocery store and nothing else can touch it.

So they can jet dry their carts, cut up your melons, and have stores on every corner but if you shop there you're paying for extra for it. Higher prices doesn't make them the best grocery store in Florida.
Never said it was. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, my favorite in the area is Freshfield Farms. Orlando | Freshfields Farm

As for "poor planning," not so much.
We eat lots of fruits and vegetables. To keep a fresh variety in stock at home requires at least 2 visits per week, sometimes more.
While I'm there buying bananas, squash, tomatoes, etc., I occasionally see things such as olive oil and cereal on BOGO. I'll pick those up too.

By the way, I don't think I have ever shopped a full cart at Publix. I shop at a variety of stores, as I like to cook from scratch, and cook lots of Indian/Caribbean and Asian-inspired, which require lots of special ingredients not found in typical American stores. When compared to its direct competition however, it remains my favorite for generic items.

Speaking of Winn-Dixie, I'm not sure if this was just a fluke or what, but last weekend I bough some chicken quarters from there, seasoned them the way I normally do, and stuck them in the air fryer. The thighs were so full of fat that it literally flooded the bottom of the fryer. I've never had this issue before. Must be something with their supplier, but I doubt I'll be buying chicken from there again.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID3modem View Post
Customers, i.e. consistent or loyal customers do not shop at Publix soley based upon pricing matrices....most shop at PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS for the excellent customer service, and increasingly for their physical location in relation to their own neighborhoods. Their strategy of locations of new or newer stores closer to where key shoppers actually live is beginning to validate their continued success and appeal.

The market is big enough for lots of different players. Some will be more successful than others. Years earlier, all analysts were crowing about the super viable niche of Whole Foods....well, that business model faltered, affected by poor management understanding of competition entering their "organic space", and customers found out they were getting ripped off by comparison. Whole Foods was forced to look for a suitor...well, they found one, in Amazon, who knows really nothing about the "grocery business", but are ubiquitous "mass retailers". The verdict is still out on how they might transform this disastrous purchase of Whole Foods. I have yet to see them developing a cogent strategy for this acquisition. I'm sure it might get fully developed however. It better.

PUBLIX is not complacent or standing still, neither is Walmart or even Aldi. Generally speaking however, a suburban PUBLIX SUPERMARKET customer is not a consistent buyer of anything at a Walmart or an Aldi.

Toilet paper?? geez, who cares? That's a function of your own usage, and the size of your household. Some people blow their noses all the time, others, not so much. Some people take 3craps a day, others, not so much. Women use 5 times for toilet paper/tissues than men in a household, so their budget and need to stock up on "their favorite" freaking toilet paper might be a big deal, with men they might not "giveAcrap"

It's just like with paper towels. Some people can't go into the kitchen without grabbing a paper towel to wipe their hands or whatever (instead of using a clean hand towel).Go figure.

Heck, I buy 123 sq. feet for a dollar. Works for me, but that's just me. Usage is the determinate for me.
None of this answers the OP's question. "Is there anything better (grocery-wise) than Publix in Florida?
The answer is yes by a landslide.

The TP example isn't about a function of usage. It's about over paying. I can see that went way over your head.

Some perceived "customer service" that you think you're getting is subjective and has no bearing on the groceries themselves.

It reminds me of the guy that goes into a car dealership and pays over sticker price because everyone was so nice to him. He's an idiot.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:43 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flhfan View Post
none of this answers the op's question. "is there anything better (grocery-wise) than publix in florida?
The answer is yes by a landslide.

The tp example isn't about a function of usage. It's about over paying. I can see that went way over your head.

Some perceived "customer service" that you think you're getting is subjective and has no bearing on the groceries themselves.

It reminds me of the guy that goes into a car dealership and pays over sticker price because everyone was so nice to him. He's an idiot.

BINGO!

Old 03-18-2018, 08:02 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
OMG! Why can’t people just shop where they want to shop and leave it at that without getting all kinds of grief on the forum.

I personally don’t care if Costco’s cheaper as my house is tiny and I would have to build an addition to store the frigging stuff.

I can’t wait till they open the Publix in Manalapan. Yeas, it might’ve more expensive, but they’ll have what I want and it will be clean, unlike the local WinnDixie which makes me want to run away in horror.

If I’m paying a bit more (not convinced I am) for a decent experience, that’s my need, problem, whatever.

Walmart doesn’t carry a lot of the stuff I eat. Driving out to the farmers market is not always possible or a good idea. I don’t eat enough quickly enough and end up throwing stuff away.

For other stuffI go to Asian Market or Destiny Bazaar, the Indian food store. I don’t eat meat
so I cannot rate any store for that.

OP, you’ll have to figure this out for yourself.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 03-18-2018 at 08:22 AM..

Old 03-21-2018, 02:37 PM

24 posts, read 40,217 times
I have followed the recommendations to try Publix stores in upscale neighborhoods and I have to say they are no better. how can Publix not carry organic red bell peppers? That is a very basic organic item that most stores have. That is one of those things that everyone recommends you buy organic. I have yet to see a Publix where I can get an organic red (or yellow, orange) bell pepper. In fact their selection of organic produce is a joke. It feels like Publix does not care about produce. Like that is not their focus.
Publix is fine if you are looking for campbell soup or stove top stuffing. but their selection of quality produce and meats is awful. They have NO organic chicken (Greenwise label is NOT organic). No fresh made tortillas in the bakery. No tri-tip in the meat case. The seafood is all mostly from Asia. The stores smell like fried chicken, which is really disgusting.
I already know I can't get good citrus there, so I have ordered it online. But I just do not understand the appeal of this store, especially since it's so expensive. It must be an Old Southern thing.

Last edited by newfloridian41; 03-21-2018 at 02:53 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 08:38 AM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfloridian41 View Post
I have followed the recommendations to try Publix stores in upscale neighborhoods and I have to say they are no better. how can Publix not carry organic red bell peppers? That is a very basic organic item that most stores have. That is one of those things that everyone recommends you buy organic. I have yet to see a Publix where I can get an organic red (or yellow, orange) bell pepper. In fact their selection of organic produce is a joke. It feels like Publix does not care about produce. Like that is not their focus.
Publix is fine if you are looking for campbell soup or stove top stuffing. but their selection of quality produce and meats is awful. They have NO organic chicken (Greenwise label is NOT organic). No fresh made tortillas in the bakery. No tri-tip in the meat case. The seafood is all mostly from Asia. The stores smell like fried chicken, which is really disgusting.
I already know I can't get good citrus there, so I have ordered it online. But I just do not understand the appeal of this store, especially since it's so expensive. It must be an Old Southern thing.

Oh ... you're back again.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Oh ... you're back again.
It's the whole "I'm superior because I buy only things that are hard or impossible to find in a regular grocery store."

It's pretty easy to name a bunch of items I like to keep stock of in my house that aren't available in 90% of grocery stores. Do you know why they aren't regularly stocked? Because the people the store serves are not requesting the items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfloridian41 View Post
No tri-tip on the meat shelves? Who cares? There's a butcher literally next to the meat counter who will cut you anything you want.

No organic chicken? Huh?? "Looking for an organic option? Our GreenWise organic chicken is USDA-certified organic, water-chilled, fed a 100% organic vegetarian diet, and raised with no antibiotics or added hormones ever (federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones in poultry)."

Seafood mostly from Asia? Are you aware that Publix has PAGES of seafood that you can get? Not just the stuff you see on the shelf? Lots of it is local, lots of it Atlantic, etc.

No organic bell peppers? Are you sure? Last I checked, they carry Pero Organic bell peppers, as well as the bagged miniature ones.

I'm not here to praise Publix like it's a God among grocery stores (it isn't) but some of these posts are just baseless false nonsense. The same type of people who probably turn up their noses at people who shop at Save-a-Lot or Wal-Mart (which I don't, by the way, but won't go around bashing the stores or the people who like them.)
I like to buy my produce from a specific store that is only deep in Orlando and Jacksonville, and my seafood from an actual seafood store, but when I'm not in those specific areas, Publix works just fine. It's a generic grocery store, and it does a good job at it.

By the way, the whole "Southern" thing makes no sense, considering the majority of Publix clientele in Florida are transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida