Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 09:38 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
What are you saying is "average"? The same store sales number? Go back to business school and re-take Business Analytics.
As soon as you go back to school and revisit English Comprehension. Did you even read the article? And FWIW, snarky plays better when it's accurate.

"Advance estimates of U.S. retail and food services sales for March 2018, adjusted for seasonal variation and holiday and trading-day differences, but not for price changes, were $494.6 billion, an increase of 0.6 percent (±0.5 percent) from the previous month, and 4.5 percent (±0.5 percent) above March 2017. Total sales for the January 2018 through March 2018 period were up 4.1 percent (±0.5 percent) from the same period a year ago."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 02:57 PM

24 posts, read 40,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Publix is apparently doing just fine despite the company's many horrible flaws discussed here:

Publix Reports First Quarter 2018 Results and Stock Price | Press Release - Florida Trend
It doesn't surprise me that Publix is doing just fine. Many people in Florida have never been out of the state, much less set foot in a great grocery store. So they think Publix is great. It's like those people in the heartland who have never seen anything other than Dollar General. They think Dollar General is the best thing since bread came sliced.
Those of us who are transplants or who have traveled know there are better grocery stores Publix. And thankfully we don't have to depend on Publix, thanks to online shopping.
I did discover that Costco in Florida has orange juicing machines for selling fresh squeezed juice, something that H-E-B of course had in Texas but Publix does not.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:10 PM

32 posts, read 26,907 times
We are in the process of moving from DC to Tampa and we are really going to miss Wegman's.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:15 PM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfloridian41 View Post
It doesn't surprise me that Publix is doing just fine. Many people in Florida have never been out of the state, much less set foot in a great grocery store. So they think Publix is great. It's like those people in the heartland who have never seen anything other than Dollar General. They think Dollar General is the best thing since bread came sliced.
Those of us who are transplants or who have traveled know there are better grocery stores Publix. And thankfully we don't have to depend on Publix, thanks to online shopping.
I did discover that Costco in Florida has orange juicing machines for selling fresh squeezed juice, something that H-E-B of course had in Texas but Publix does not.
It's a well-known fact that Florida is a transient state, and that most are actually not from Florida. What are you talking about?
The fact that it's popular in Miami, Orlando, and Tampa, all 3 of which are inhabited by people from all over the globe, pretty much refutes your assessment.

A better comparison to Dollar General would be Wal-Mart. Not Publix.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:56 PM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Best supermarkets in America - Business Insider

Old 05-09-2018, 11:57 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Trader Joes & Whole Foods <3

Old 05-10-2018, 12:04 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,018,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfloridian41 View Post
It doesn't surprise me that Publix is doing just fine. Many people in Florida have never been out of the state, much less set foot in a great grocery store.

Interesting. And here I was thinking most people in Florida aren't actually from Florida. In other words, you either aren't very intelligent or get your kicks by spreading misinformation online.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:06 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan in PG View Post
Wow, how ignorant. People that live in Florida are from all over the darn world, and certainly aren't monolithic in their experiences and tastes. Publix Supermarkets does a darn good job, and has some of the best customer service I've ever experienced, and yes I lived in the Midwest, TX, New England,west coast and 3 states in the SE.
I know, right? So many unbelievably ignorant statements here. We have friends from the south of FRANCE who think Publix wipes the floor with any place they shopped in their country! They are not alone in their sentiments. I live in Sarasota, which is almost ALL transplants from the NE, west (California) and Europe and other parts of the world. Publix here is absolutely thriving, and continuing to build. They are and always will be the #1 mainstream store here. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and ALDI also continue to do well, but they are not full-service stores, as has been discussed.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:10 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Thank you ^^. It really doesn't matter what a few curmudgeons have to say on this forum, articles like this speak for themselves. Publix ranks at or near the top every single year.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,018,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Thank you ^^. It really doesn't matter what a few curmudgeons have to say on this forum, articles like this speak for themselves. Publix ranks at or near the top every single year.
People with their "superior" grocery stores can't seem to grasp that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida