Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 09:00 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,855,495 times

Advertisements

Hmmmmm. Well GNC is on its last legs.
Nothing to do with e-commerce/Amazon competition.
Just a "correction."

https://www.retaildive.com/news/gnc-...stores/522233/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 09:24 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I also do not like anyone picking out my foods, nor am I going to give Amazon the keys to my house or car, NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!

But the wave of people going for this kind of shopping is getting bigger and bigger, and I feel like you and I will be the "old fashioned" ones still going to the store and dodging Instacart shoppers.

All of my friends and family are ordering their groceries online. I went to visit my friend in Dallas recently.
I watched as she ordered her groceries online and had it delivered. I have to admit to you that her eggs were not cracked, her bananas were exactly as she wanted them to be, she wanted a ripe avocado and she got a ripe avocado, her frozen stuff was still frozen, etc. Nothing was amiss.

I mean, people are even Ubering frozen yogurt fron Yogurtology and ice cream from Cold Stone Creamery!
I do order things on line, just not food. I also work at a big box store part time so know people like the convenience of shopping on line. We fill so many pick up in the store deliveries and ship from our store orders every day, we have a hard time keeping up. As for pick up in the stores I think I use it because that way I know they actually have the exact item I want on hand........but then once in the store.......guess what most people do.......look at the clothes and home goods and buy more. I can also attest to the fact that with on line ordering we also get one *ell of a lot of returns from unhappy customers when the item didn't fit right, wasn't the color they expected it to be, or just wasn't the quality they wanted. I hate returning things and find returning things more inconvenient than shopping for myself.

Here's an interesting tid bit from my past......Way back in the 1950s my mom ordered and had all our groceries delivered to the house from a local supermarket. There were 11 kids in my family and dad had the car for work, but when I started school (next to youngest and must have been the most spoiled) my mom decided I would not be walking to school like all the rest of my sibs did we became a 2 car family, but still had groceries delivered so it is not a new trend for me. There were times though when she sent stuff babk or ended up walking to the grocery 6 blocks away to bring stuff back.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Hmmmmm. Well GNC is on its last legs.
Nothing to do with e-commerce/Amazon competition.
Just a "correction." https://www.retaildive.com/news/gnc-...stores/522233/
That's what happens when you only read the headlines...

"GNC Holdings, Inc. on Thursday said that consolidated revenue in the first quarter fell to $607.5 million from $654.9 million in the year-ago quarter, mostly due to its sale of Lucky Vitamin last September, which resulted in a $22.7 million reduction to revenue and the termination of its U.S. Gold Card Member Pricing program a year ago, which resulted in a $23 million revenue decrease.

Same-store sales rose 0.5% in domestic company-owned stores (including GNC.com) in the first quarter of 2018, according to a company press release."

Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
So you are saying that the rise of e-commerce has nothing to do with retail store closures?
It's part of the equation but isn't the sole reason, nor even a majority if one does some non-headline reading.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 AM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lB3modem View Post
Sounds like one poster is really getting under the skin of a few others...which is entertaining.
Not so much getting under ones skin. I just find it annoying when one literally insults other for their shopping preferences. Some of the posts in this thread pretty much read "people who shop at Publix are STUPID." LOL.

That being said, I order certain things online as well... Just not food. I don't want someone else to decide how ripe I like my fruits, how fatty I like my chicken quarters, what part of the fish I want, etc. I'm very selective when it comes to food purchases, and no one else is really going to pick everything I want the way I want it.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's what happens when you only read the headlines...

"GNC Holdings, Inc. on Thursday said that consolidated revenue in the first quarter fell to $607.5 million from $654.9 million in the year-ago quarter, mostly due to its sale of Lucky Vitamin last September, which resulted in a $22.7 million reduction to revenue and the termination of its U.S. Gold Card Member Pricing program a year ago, which resulted in a $23 million revenue decrease.

Same-store sales rose 0.5% in domestic company-owned stores (including GNC.com) in the first quarter of 2018, according to a company press release."

What makes you think I only read the headline? Those numbers are ALL abysmal, especially the same store sales figure.

Let's also not forget that GNC has a $1.1 billion Term Loan Facility that matures in March 2019.

Sound familiar? Does the name Toys R Us ring a bell?

Last edited by sinatras; 04-26-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-26-2018, 12:01 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lB3modem View Post
Sounds like one poster is really getting under the skin of a few others...which is entertaining.
What happened to your FKLfan member name?

Old 04-26-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
What happened to your FKLfan member name?
He's being banned soon. Again.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
What makes you think I only read the headline? Those numbers are ALL abysmal, especially the same store sales figure.

Let's also not forget that GNC has a $1.1 billion Term Loan Facility that matures in March 2019.

That number isn't abysmal, it's average which by definition can't be abysmal...

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/...-than-forecast

Old 04-26-2018, 02:47 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:

The vulture capitalists who 'extract equity' from the big box chains they buy up and then let go bankrupt probably play more of a role in store closings than Amazon does. Speculation is that Guitar Center isn't going to last the summer either because of excessive debt load created by their private equity firm overlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida