Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2018, 01:48 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Have you shopped for a family with kids in tow? Do you read the info on boxes to make sure they fit your or your kids diets? Your stores never have lines? You never run into anyone you know in the store? You never have to stop shopping and take a kid to the restroom? You don't have to take a number and wait in the deli line? You don't pick up any meds from the pharmacy and have to wait in line to get them? You never get special cuts done in the meat department? You probably do not buy a full cart or maybe 2 full carts of groceries that need to be checked out which can take 15-30 minutes right there to be rang up and bagged. Drive time is 10 minutes there and back for me, but I plan 2 hours and I am only shopping for 2 with some trips buying for guests visiting for a week etc. . I only shop one store and buy everything we use at the grocery store except clothes etc. . BTW I usually never have anyone in line behind me because I have so much in the cart and will slow them down.
No. No. No. No. No.

Even if I was given free groceries I would not spend 2 hours in a busy grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 07:09 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Have you shopped for a family with kids in tow? Do you read the info on boxes to make sure they fit your or your kids diets? Your stores never have lines? You never run into anyone you know in the store? You never have to stop shopping and take a kid to the restroom? You don't have to take a number and wait in the deli line? You don't pick up any meds from the pharmacy and have to wait in line to get them? You never get special cuts done in the meat department? You probably do not buy a full cart or maybe 2 full carts of groceries that need to be checked out which can take 15-30 minutes right there to be rang up and bagged. Drive time is 10 minutes there and back for me, but I plan 2 hours and I am only shopping for 2 with some trips buying for guests visiting for a week etc. . I only shop one store and buy everything we use at the grocery store except clothes etc. . BTW I usually never have anyone in line behind me because I have so much in the cart and will slow them down.

This right here explains all we need to know about the SKYROCKETING demand for online grocery delivery/pickup.

https://www.fooddive.com/news/grocer...-in-q1/521940/

Old 04-25-2018, 07:36 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
It takes me about 30 minutes including travel time to shop. I have never heard of anyone spending two hours in a grocery store - good heavens!!! I can understand if one has disabilities - those would be the ones to benefit most from online shopping.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It takes me about 30 minutes including travel time to shop. I have never heard of anyone spending two hours in a grocery store - good heavens!!! I can understand if one has disabilities - those would be the ones to benefit most from online shopping.

Currently there is a "discussion" (more like arguing) raging in my neighborhood Facebook group about how going to Publix is no longer fun because the aisles are clogged with distracted Instacart/Shipt shoppers staring at their phones and clogging up the aisles.

Some people are very annoyed by this.

You know what that means.

The more people get annoyed with their shopping experience, the more they will shop online.

And the cycle goes round and round and round.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:30 PM

It's not just groceries. Go to any McDonald's at lunch time. Zero lines anymore. Everyone is ordering their fast food through Uber. They can't even bring themselves to go through a drive-through.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:19 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
This right here explains all we need to know about the SKYROCKETING demand for online grocery delivery/pickup.

https://www.fooddive.com/news/grocer...-in-q1/521940/
Anybody that feels comfortable letting someone else choose the food they want to cook in their home is fine with me; but not for me. Actually I grew up in a home where my mom called the grocery store and our groceries for a family of 12 were delivered. So it is not something new or exciting to me. Mom sometimes ended up bringing stuff back that wasn't up to her criteria. . So I will be examining every item I buy in the store to make sure it meets my criteria not some kid shopping for me. I often do not buy everything on my computer generated from the ads and digital coupons list I make every week because an item does not meet my expectations. I may return on another day to get better fruit and vegetables etc if they are picked over before I get there after work.

Out of curiosity , when you have someone buy 3 pounds of chicken breast for you, do you tell them you do not want the typical huge breasts they sell now that are fatty and dry or can you tell them you want the breast from small chickens that are just the right size for a person on a diabetic diet, watching weight or heart diet or for just small meat eaters in the family, or do you just let them choose for you? I will also not give up looking at the pound of bacon to make sure there is lots of meat and not just fatty strips, a lot of fat has not been left on the pork, etc.. I want to see the eggs I am buying before I purchase them, etc.

Different strokes for different folks. If we all did the same thing all the time this world would be very boring place to be.

BTW... what do you all think about giving your house key or car key to them so they can deliver your packages?

Old 04-25-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Anybody that feels comfortable letting someone else choose the food they want to cook in their home is fine with me; but not for me. Actually I grew up in a home where my mom called the grocery store and our groceries for a family of 12 were delivered. So it is not something new or exciting to me. Mom sometimes ended up bringing stuff back that wasn't up to her criteria. . So I will be examining every item I buy in the store to make sure it meets my criteria not some kid shopping for me. I often do not buy everything on my computer generated from the ads and digital coupons list I make every week because an item does not meet my expectations. I may return on another day to get better fruit and vegetables etc if they are picked over before I get there after work.

Out of curiosity , when you have someone buy 3 pounds of chicken breast for you, do you tell them you do not want the typical huge breasts they sell now that are fatty and dry or can you tell them you want the breast from small chickens that are just the right size for a person on a diabetic diet, watching weight or heart diet or for just small meat eaters in the family, or do you just let them choose for you? I will also not give up looking at the pound of bacon to make sure there is lots of meat and not just fatty strips, a lot of fat has not been left on the pork, etc.. I want to see the eggs I am buying before I purchase them, etc.

Different strokes for different folks. If we all did the same thing all the time this world would be very boring place to be.

BTW... what do you all think about giving your house key or car key to them so they can deliver your packages?

I also do not like anyone picking out my foods, nor am I going to give Amazon the keys to my house or car, NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!

But the wave of people going for this kind of shopping is getting bigger and bigger, and I feel like you and I will be the "old fashioned" ones still going to the store and dodging Instacart shoppers.

All of my friends and family are ordering their groceries online. I went to visit my friend in Dallas recently.
I watched as she ordered her groceries online and had it delivered. I have to admit to you that her eggs were not cracked, her bananas were exactly as she wanted them to be, she wanted a ripe avocado and she got a ripe avocado, her frozen stuff was still frozen, etc. Nothing was amiss.

I mean, people are even Ubering frozen yogurt fron Yogurtology and ice cream from Cold Stone Creamery!

Old 04-25-2018, 03:10 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Outside of a small percentage of over-stressed working men/women with large families to juggle or those with any medical/physical handicaps I'm a bit baffled other than via overt laziness how anyone with a car would need to have groceries regularly delivered.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Outside of a small percentage of over-stressed working men/women with large families to juggle or those with any medical/physical handicaps I'm a bit baffled other than via overt laziness how anyone with a car would need to have groceries regularly delivered.

I stopped being baffled by grocery delivery when I realized that people are ordering EVERYTHING online, from Big Macs to ice cream cones to refrigerators. If people are willing to have their Big Macs delivered, why not chicken breasts and Tide?

If people like having their clothes delivered, their ipads delivered, their washing machines delivered (without even seeing them in-store) and now their fast food delivered, why is having groceries delivered so hard to understand? People are not even able to go through the Taco Bell drive-through. My brother is a lawyer and he says his colleagues "Uber Taco Bell" every day. And these are people with MONEY and EDUCATION and who are hard workers and not obese!

Let us recall that the whole purpose of OP was to ask why Publix did not offer more online ordering options, or somesuch.

Last edited by sinatras; 04-25-2018 at 04:17 PM..

Old 04-25-2018, 05:50 PM

8,073 posts, read 4,747,652 times
I may sound like a old coot, but I see this whole online grocery ordering and delivery in your home, etc. as a fad people will swear by for a while, then most will stop participating once the problems you mention creep in. Once the "new" wears off these concepts (and reality sets in), a lot of people abandon them. The mass-produced (and uniform quality) items like cereal, canned goods, and packaged foods seems easy enough to order online and have a satisfactory experience, but the problems of picking "perishables" (produce, meats, dairy products and baked goods) seem to make it better to choose and purchase these items in person in a store. A few disappointing experiences with limp produce, spoiled meats or dried-out breads delivered to your home will make you think twice, and the more companies out there who try to do online ordering/delivery, the more people will be out there screwing it up.

Employees at the store will likely not care about picking out the "very best" items for you more than you will, and many people have different ideas of what "the best" is (as others have stated). Unless the person picking your produce somehow knows your exact wishes WRT ripeness, size, and all that, you're occasionally going to be disappointed. The more orders these employees have to fill, the less they will "examine" individual pieces in the process of filling orders. The items needing to be examined and critiqued (meats, produce) will end up being treated just like the ones that don't (soup cans, bottles of ketchup) and the result will be unhappy consumers, who will have to decide whether the trade-off for convenience (uneven quality) is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida