Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2018, 10:54 AM

27 posts, read 24,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Oh great! Let's shame the American consumer and call them fat and lazy for having the audacity to shop online. That will accomplish what exactly? Prompt them to shop even more online?

Excuse me while I go order some more Patagonian steaks from thrivemarket.com. Better than any steak I've ever bought at Kroger, or Walmart, or Publix for that matter.

Knock yourself out. See you at the gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 10:58 AM

27 posts, read 24,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Publix displaced Winn-Dixie, jus as Winn-Dixie displaced A&P.

The cycle will repeat itself.

DeadAzz wrong.

Winn-Dixie displaced Winn Dixie, and
A&P definitely displaced A&P
Are you serious ? Example: Winn Dixie used to be known as being "The Beef People" they abdicated
A&P made bad acquisition and product decisions and died a slow death
PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS is not Winn Dixie, and is not A&P

Last edited by 18Dmodem; 04-14-2018 at 11:50 AM..

Old 04-14-2018, 03:28 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Publix displaced Winn-Dixie, jus as Winn-Dixie displaced A&P.

The cycle will repeat itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Dmodem View Post
DeadAzz wrong.

Winn-Dixie displaced Winn Dixie, and
A&P definitely displaced A&P
Are you serious ? Example: Winn Dixie used to be known as being "The Beef People" they abdicated
A&P made bad acquisition and product decisions and died a slow death
PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS is not Winn Dixie, and is not A&P
My point was simply: Few markets approach a perfectly competitive status more closely than grocers; everybody needs foodstuffs, and most of us buy at least some of them directly, and while profit margins are thin, the volume of business is huge. When well-established chains (or the labor unions organizing them) attempt to lock in a higher cost structure, higher prices, however slight, are locked in as well.

The process probably has more variations and "defenses" than I can think of in any other industry; Kroger owns at least four C-store chains, Acme (now an Albertson's subsidiary, IIRC) sold off a number of unprofitable chains to its unions, Maryland-based Giant has been slowly, but successfully invading the Pennsylvania "home turf" of cost-conscious Weis for over thirty years.

This isn't pointed out as an attempt to bash labor unions, or particular chains, or anyone else; it just points out the fact that, like the ocean currents, the greater the number of parties involved in the workings of supply and demand, the more unstoppable those forces become.

And, whining by the displaced losers to the contrary, everybody benefits in the long run.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-14-2018 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 05:04 PM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieheinan View Post
It doesn't take you hours to shop? You must not have young children. A trip to the grocery store takes me two hours easily with my young kids to mind. I made a list of the stores in Florida that offer this service and it seems like Publix is the only one that doesn't. That's odd, especially since it's the major grocer in the state.
No matter, I will be doing curbside pickup at Walmart, Target, Sprouts, Lucky's and others.
It takes me around 30 minutes (at most) to fill up my cart. Why is it taking you two hours?

Old 04-16-2018, 05:20 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,586 times
Exclamation Publix At Four Corners

The worst Publix I have been to, is the one on Hway 192, in the Four Corners Area. This one should beshut down. I purchased sliced cold cuts at the Deli, and they were old, old, old..........took them back.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
The worst Publix I have been to, is the one on Hway 192, in the Four Corners Area. This one should beshut down. I purchased sliced cold cuts at the Deli, and they were old, old, old..........took them back.
One thing I do especially like about Publix is that there is never any fuss at all over returns, even without a receipt.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:47 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It takes me around 30 minutes (at most) to fill up my cart. Why is it taking you two hours?
Lol, yea, about 30 minutes at the most, I have no idea how it can take someone two hours to go grocery shopping, unless they purposely take that long.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:47 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
I’ve never spent 2 hours in any grocery store including publix lol

Old 04-24-2018, 07:37 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I’ve never spent 2 hours in any grocery store including publix lol
Have you shopped for a family with kids in tow? Do you read the info on boxes to make sure they fit your or your kids diets? Your stores never have lines? You never run into anyone you know in the store? You never have to stop shopping and take a kid to the restroom? You don't have to take a number and wait in the deli line? You don't pick up any meds from the pharmacy and have to wait in line to get them? You never get special cuts done in the meat department? You probably do not buy a full cart or maybe 2 full carts of groceries that need to be checked out which can take 15-30 minutes right there to be rang up and bagged. Drive time is 10 minutes there and back for me, but I plan 2 hours and I am only shopping for 2 with some trips buying for guests visiting for a week etc. . I only shop one store and buy everything we use at the grocery store except clothes etc. . BTW I usually never have anyone in line behind me because I have so much in the cart and will slow them down.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Have you shopped for a family with kids in tow? Do you read the info on boxes to make sure they fit your or your kids diets? Your stores never have lines? You never run into anyone you know in the store? You never have to stop shopping and take a kid to the restroom? You don't have to take a number and wait in the deli line? You don't pick up any meds from the pharmacy and have to wait in line to get them? You never get special cuts done in the meat department? You probably do not buy a full cart or maybe 2 full carts of groceries that need to be checked out which can take 15-30 minutes right there to be rang up and bagged. Drive time is 10 minutes there and back for me, but I plan 2 hours and I am only shopping for 2 with some trips buying for guests visiting for a week etc. . I only shop one store and buy everything we use at the grocery store except clothes etc. . BTW I usually never have anyone in line behind me because I have so much in the cart and will slow them down.
I normally shop with my 2 kids. I've been doing it since they were babies.
The only pre-made foods I really routinely buy are cereal, yogurt, cheese, and granola bars. Not much label-reading needed. The rest is pretty straightforward: a quick stop in the produce section, grab the essentials (tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, bananas, apples) and then whatever fresh vegetables I feel like getting and/or fruits that are on sale. Produce stop is less than 10 minutes.
For deli, you can order once you get in, and pick up when you leave. I hate waiting in line.
Special cuts of meat? They typically have what I want. The only thing I normally have to request is lamb cuts and fish.
Aside from that, grab a few packs of chicken quarters, a bag of rice, dried beans, maybe some dry spices, milk, eggs, cheese, beer, and whatever may be on sale or catches my eye as I walk by. Yeah, it's normally 30 minutes. With a cart overloaded with stuff.

Counting my blessings here, but I don't know when the last time I had to order meds was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida