Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 10:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You could buy that house in my town (the kind of untrendy but ‘good schools’ popular part of suburbia) in 2003 but in 2020, that’s now $500-$650k home depending on age and condition.

We are quite comfortable down here on a nothing special household income because we bought cheap in 2001 (and locked in dirt cheap property taxes then too) and paid said house off a few years back. But unless you’re military here, salaries/total job compensation have nowhere kept up with the increased cost of living in these parts.
Yep. It is the same in the area where I used to live in Florida (St. Johns County). You can still find some homes for under $400K, but those areas are still under development and my friend who lives there complains all the time about the lack of restaurants and shopping.

I live in Chicagoland, which people complain is expensive. I work in a suburban area that isn’t glamorous, but it is safe, has excellent schools, and no shortage of shopping/restaurants. You can absolutely find something that is a 4/3 for under $400K, and I don’t imagine that the tax+insurance prices will be all that much difference since our insurance here is so much cheaper. While the city areas are much more expensive, suburban areas (even around NYC) can be much more reasonable. We have a variety here in Chicagoland ranging from very expensive to quite affordable, with great schools and good public transportation access in many of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 12:12 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
I won't lower myself to respond to the rest of the tripe in that post but...

Have some nuance. Think about it. For most of February-May, most of those 100 NYers a day that usually move out weren't doing so. So now you have that movement compressed. If we're still seeing those kinds of numbers into Sept/Oct, then it might be news.
Ask Governor Cuomo if the New York to Florida exodus is big news or not. He said its as serious as a heart attack for the state of New York due to the Billions in tax revenues they are losing.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:22 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Ask Governor Cuomo if the New York to Florida exodus is big news or not. He said its as serious as a heart attack for the state of New York due to the Billions in tax revenues they are losing.
The article says that Cuomo says that its "as serious as a heart attack." However, that's not in quotes. It doesn't actually attribute him as saying those exact words. I'm not saying he hasn't but....there's nothing to necessarily prove that.

Anyway... the point being, that you didn't address....there were already 100 or so people a day moving from NY to FL. Those same 100 or so per day that would have moved between Feb-May in normal times didn't do so. Now, they're doing so again. And, while not all of them will have kids and need to be in place before the new school year starts, a lot of them will be.

So, you have about 12,000 moves that would've happened from Feb-May that didn't happen. Put that on top of the 9000 or so moves that normally would've happened from June-August, and your numbers don't look too far off.

Again, there are moves that should have happened in the spring that didn't that are now being compressed. Again, if we still see these kind of numbers in September and October, it'll actually be news.

But, no matter what Governor Cuomo has to say about what may be happening in his state, this is the Florida board. I could give a darn about what's happening in NY and how it may be affecting my state. Apparently YMMV, but I couldn't care less about why it is doing so.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:08 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
The article says that Cuomo says that its "as serious as a heart attack." However, that's not in quotes. It doesn't actually attribute him as saying those exact words. I'm not saying he hasn't but....there's nothing to necessarily prove that.

Anyway... the point being, that you didn't address....there were already 100 or so people a day moving from NY to FL. Those same 100 or so per day that would have moved between Feb-May in normal times didn't do so. Now, they're doing so again. And, while not all of them will have kids and need to be in place before the new school year starts, a lot of them will be.

So, you have about 12,000 moves that would've happened from Feb-May that didn't happen. Put that on top of the 9000 or so moves that normally would've happened from June-August, and your numbers don't look too far off.

Again, there are moves that should have happened in the spring that didn't that are now being compressed. Again, if we still see these kind of numbers in September and October, it'll actually be news.

But, no matter what Governor Cuomo has to say about what may be happening in his state, this is the Florida board. I could give a darn about what's happening in NY and how it may be affecting my state. Apparently YMMV, but I couldn't care less about why it is doing so.
Part of it may be more wealthier people leaving, not just the same categories in the past. Just as wealthy people are leaving the NE for CA.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:08 AM

786 posts, read 626,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
Can you list at least 2 specific actions that he should take today?

Institute another Statewide Shutdown. 10k Positive Cases with 100+ Deaths and a growing number of full ICUs is why we shut down in the first place. The state was on par with the other states that had it under control. The Miami surge was almost stabilized when NY got things under control (Snowbird/Tourist Factor)...

Then Pappa Trump said jump and DeSantis said how high. Reopening against all qualified advice.

Cancel school reopening now. Kids are testing positive all over here, so why pack them all together? Remote/Virtual Learning only. What's going to happen when whole school districts test positive, and staff start dropping like flies?

This man has no plan at all. Every decision he has made just prolongs this pandemic. Now that its hitting the Villages, we will see massive rise in deaths real soon.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:40 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You're assuming they are tethered to some NYC-based office. A lot of folks now work remotely and can pick and choose where to call home anywhere in the U.S.
Yes but the remote is not likely to be forever

Old 07-23-2020, 06:38 AM

486 posts, read 516,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yes but the remote is not likely to be forever
Many companies already were pretty favorable to working remotely, now a whole bunch of other companies have seen that they can save a ton of money on leased office space. This pandemic has been a massive test run in determining which employees can work remotely without issues. I was working remotely even before this pandemic, on an agile team where no one is local, and our productivity is much higher than the home office based agile teams for example. The whole "we are more collaborative in the office when crammed together" is BS.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:18 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
it's a 2fer for Cuomo and de Blasio...not only are the people moving....businesses are permanently closing

...and that's an expensive city and state to run

Old 07-23-2020, 08:36 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Where is this very low cost of living? The $4000 homeowners insurance many people pay? The HOAs (and sometimes CDDs) people pay that they don’t have to pay up north (assuming they aren’t in a high-end condo/COOP)? The lack of public transport that requires people to have a car and be in it for a long time each day? How about the wages that are typically 1/3 that of what you make in NYC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I think Florida is still living off of an old reputation that doesn’t really exist anymore. It’s like the person with a poor reputation in high or college that moved away, got whatever help they needed, and transformed their life for the better. But when they go back to their hometown or alumni event, everyone still thinks of them as the person they were 10-15 years ago.
I saw a report on the Orlando ABC affiliate about the expiring $600 per week unemployment. They said that the $275 per week from Florida is the lowest rate in the country relative to cost of living. So, I guess it correlates well with the typical incomes here relative to the cost of living lol.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:38 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
it's a 2fer for Cuomo and de Blasio...not only are the people moving....businesses are permanently closing

...and that's an expensive city and state to run
I don’t like either of these guys but NY did a great job at lowering our rates of death & infection ... as much as I hate to admit it ... credit to Cuomo. On the flipside, we have suffered a lot economically here. A lot of out of work parents, starving children, failing children bc remote learning sucks, divorces, astronomical rates of violence/overdoses/suicides, foreclosures ....

We paid a huge price here. Our levels continue to fall. 9 deaths yesterday, 746 cases statewide out of population of 19 million

BUT knowing how the majority of the country handled this virus, I feel lucky to live in NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida