Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 12:42 PM

635 posts, read 405,926 times

Advertisements

Repped. Please kindly inform a poster by the username of 'sinatras' of this. Glad someone else reads and keeps up with reputable rankings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks Florida's higher learning as being superior to New York's. Affordability is a big factor.

I graduated from Florida, then went on to get my MBA at Georgia, & retired at 50. Served me well.

Had I done that at NYU & Columbia, I'd have still been paying student loans at 50!

Because I went to affordable universities in Florida & Georgia, I was debt-free by age 40, retired by age 50.

Last edited by silverct9a; 07-09-2022 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 01:15 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I never met someone from Florida that wanted to move to NJ. I've met hundreds from NJ that want/wish they moved or live in Florida. 9 out of 10 of the NJersians that I know that want to move are republicans and can't stand the lib politics of NJ. Count me as 1 of the 9 out of 10.
59% want to leave New Jersey, but I have not seen a poll like this for New York:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...finds/3661667/

The # of NY car tags I see here in FLA is scary. Most of the NJ residents who want to leave NJ are Indy's & Pubs, so I'm hoping the same is for NY.

FLA's been getting more new Pub voter registrations than Dems, so maybe my dreams are coming true, & FLA's getting the best New Yorkers.

Old 07-10-2022, 01:43 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
If your kid wants to come out of college with $100k+ of student loans, go for it. My kid just graduated with zero debt and a high credit score.

Read this link, and look at the images and read the passage about no protection for the NYU students, and tell me you want your kids to go to NYU:

https://nypost.com/2022/06/29/nyc-ba...essness-soars/

NYC is a very dangerous place...parts of it is just drug infused zombies and drug dealers after dark. I dont want my kid anywhere near this mess.

Scan through the pics of Univ of Florida:

https://www.google.com/search?q=univ...&bih=755&dpr=2

No sane person would choose NYU over Univ of Florida for their kid after reading this article and seeing these images.

Being a rube is passed from generation to generation unless someone yells Stop and breaks the chain. Have you ever visited a museum or seen a Broadway play? Have you heard the Vienna Philharmonic perform in Carnegie Hall?

Why would some choose NY over Florida, if you have to ask, you'll never understand.

Old 07-10-2022, 04:31 PM

417 posts, read 267,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Being a rube is passed from generation to generation unless someone yells Stop and breaks the chain. Have you ever visited a museum or seen a Broadway play? Have you heard the Vienna Philharmonic perform in Carnegie Hall?

Why would some choose NY over Florida, if you have to ask, you'll never understand.
I have visited museums around the world.
Have seen 2 broadway plays and found them boring.
Truely enjoyed performances including the Berlin Philharmonic while in Germany
I was fortunate in my travels, no big deal if some have not.
However, that does not make one a "rube", but it does make one sound snobbish when calling others that.

Even so, have you ever:

~Hooked a 25 inch Redfish in the mangroves while the Sun is rising on a beautiful Florida morning?
~Spent the day at the beach with family and friends?
~Walked a nature trail in January while wearing shorts?

Why would some choose Florida over NY, if you have to ask, you'll never understand.

Old 07-10-2022, 04:53 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

because not everyone is into pasty white indoor stuff.....

...you don't need to ask

Old 07-10-2022, 06:33 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
59% want to leave New Jersey, but I have not seen a poll like this for New York:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...finds/3661667/

The # of NY car tags I see here in FLA is scary. Most of the NJ residents who want to leave NJ are Indy's & Pubs, so I'm hoping the same is for NY.

FLA's been getting more new Pub voter registrations than Dems, so maybe my dreams are coming true, & FLA's getting the best New Yorkers.
My beef with these NE voters is the Republicans, many are RINOS. Not the same Republicans that are in Missouri, Idaho, Mississippi, Arizona, Oklahoma types. They're much more moderate, especially on guns for example. This is why FL doesn't have constitutional carry or open carry.

Actually, NJ is not as Democrat as many think. Republicans can win there at the state level. They nearly got the governors seat last election and Cristie won there too. And their state senate and assembly races can be competitive.

Even Maryland elects Republican governors.

I would also wonder how many voters were registered and switched to registered Republicans. Many old timers here in FL, especially rural FL were registered democrats for years, but in the main elections started voting Republican about 20 years ago. They voted Democrat due to the civil war. Up in Missouri many rural Missourian's identified as Democrat for years as well and finally flipped.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:41 PM

1,050 posts, read 571,445 times
Quote:

NYC is a very dangerous place...parts of it is just drug infused zombies and drug dealers after dark. I dont want my kid anywhere near this mess.

No sane person would choose NYU over Univ of Florida for their kid after reading this article and seeing these images. .
It’s so interesting and hilarious for a state surrounded by open water and so many tourist yet FL is surprisingly insular.

Also smug.

I lived in FL for one year, Sarasota exactly, everyday I heard, read and witnessed people navel-gazing how great FL is, how “living my best life!” And how FL is so outstanding in many, every way.

It’s always “are you from the North?” “People from the North” “the rude New Yorkers” “we are becoming the new NYC” “we are better than California!” “Owning the libs!” “So many California plates! So many New York plates!” “People are moving in droves to Fl!”

Very small town mentality.

If I come back to this board 6 months from now I already know what people are and have been talking about, because it’s so predictable. No progress, no enlightening intellectual subject, no curiosity of the world outside FL, no desire to truly improve FL and make it a more interesting and competitive state, to make the state with more substance so you don’t just attract hedonistic trashy low rent people who are escaping from some trouble or snowbirds who don’t care about education and local development but their leisure, make it more attractive for talent pool and highly competitive individuals. instead the same thing over and over and over again.

Last edited by achtung baby; 07-12-2022 at 12:01 AM..

Old 07-12-2022, 12:26 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
because not everyone is into pasty white indoor stuff.....

...you don't need to ask
There are far more nyers enjoying the beaches, hiking, biking, boating and just being outside in the beautiful summer weather right now than Floridians. Although we do wear sunscreen.

Old 07-12-2022, 05:50 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,905,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
New York City is still a really fascinating place but it’s become so overly expensive and unaffordable unless you are either a student with no other family members to support and willing to live in a shoebox with other roommates , OR otherwise in a very prestigious occupation such as CFO of a venture, or a sports medicine doctor or a highly regarded attorney
Don't forgot the Russian oligarchs who own much of NYC! Either openly or through corporations you wouldn't recognize. Kind of like America's rich politicians.

Old 07-12-2022, 05:51 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,905,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
https://nypost.com/2022/06/18/new-yo...w-nexus-of-us/

In the article, the data states that there has been a net positive flow of 280,000 New York residents that have relocated to Florida from 2010 to 2020. I thought the number was much higher than this. I was wondering if those who have been in Florida in the last 10 years can attest that number to be actually higher, and what other states are in the running with New York having the highest net positive residents from other states.

Keep in mind that governments NEVER publish the full extent of bad news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida