Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:00 PM

628 posts, read 1,834,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Don't forget the added expense of rusty cars.....way more mechanical work because of the rust.....because of HUGE potholes EVERYWHERE you need to have regular front end allignments or else your tires wear unevenly, etc.

Winter wiper blades, bags of sand to keep in your trunk......we actually have a life saving bag in the back seat with aluminum blankets, etc in case you get stranded in a snowbank for hours.......(yes people do die). We have MANY accidents due to snowy weather.....(I'm a professional firefighter...I know).

Two nights ago I got the dreaded call.....my son's car slid on ice, and they were going to mercy flight him.....like I needed another reason to want to move out of NY.

My property taxes are TWICE the amount here then the taxes on my new house in Florida. Just heat, (not electricity) is over $500/month.....gas prices are 30 cents per gallon higher then Florida.....oranges here are 2 for a dollar....

The elderly get sick more....they fall more on ice, etc.

It is an interesting topic....one i've posted about before.....bottom line, yes, I do think it cost more to live in NY then in Florida......without even talking about quality of life.......

Frank D.
Frank - no joke, I hope your son is OK.

Lots of people don't really know just how dangerous winters can be. I don't know the stats but between the deaths due to accident and exposure and the injuries from just stepping out of your car or shoveling the walk or worse all those car wrecks I think hurricanes are less eventful – maybe not in terms of damage to property but I’d rather rebuild my house than my body
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 10:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
Yet none of you have to worry about hurricanes. The heat is releneless for 6 months in Florida, and dominates for 3 more. Only 3 months of warm/cool weather and this season I have counted only 23 days with highs less than 78 degrees. Only 14 days so far where I did not have to use a fan. Air conditioning does you no good when you go outside.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:03 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,465 times
Default Don't forget this

I just have to add my 2 cents here...
Don't forget about all of the ice that freezes on the tree branches, weighs them down and then they break and take out an electrical line and there goes your electric! That's if it doesn't fall on your house and do some damage to that!
I was just outside to take the garbage cans to the curb and in the time it took me to do that - less than 2 minutes - my hands were actually hurting form the cold and wind. I was thinking - "boy, I am not going to miss this part of LI". We'll be down in May!!

Old 03-06-2007, 01:55 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Yet none of you have to worry about hurricanes. The heat is releneless for 6 months in Florida, and dominates for 3 more. Only 3 months of warm/cool weather and this season I have counted only 23 days with highs less than 78 degrees. Only 14 days so far where I did not have to use a fan. Air conditioning does you no good when you go outside.

Yea those people living north dont realise how good they have it. Yes their winters can sometimes be a little miserable for 2, 3, 4 months but the rest of the time their weather beats Florida's hands down! 4 out of 5 people prefer a temperate climate over a tropical climate.

Ill take a little cold over the rentless heat and destructive hurricanes. Its 55 outside and I got my window open and 74 degrees inside. Tallrick would feel a little too warm even at this temperature! I checked how cold it gets up north in March and the highs are 50-60 with lows a little above freezing. Whats so bad about this? I dream of cooler weather everyday and being in a better location than miserable south FL. Soon this will be a reality

Old 03-06-2007, 02:09 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I never wanna see a day (OR night!!!) that's under 90 degrees..."

Old 03-06-2007, 04:31 AM

669 posts, read 3,194,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Yea those people living north dont realise how good they have it. Yes their winters can sometimes be a little miserable for 2, 3, 4 months but the rest of the time their weather beats Florida's hands down! 4 out of 5 people prefer a temperate climate over a tropical climate.

Ill take a little cold over the rentless heat and destructive hurricanes. Its 55 outside and I got my window open and 74 degrees inside. Tallrick would feel a little too warm even at this temperature! I checked how cold it gets up north in March and the highs are 50-60 with lows a little above freezing. Whats so bad about this? I dream of cooler weather everyday and being in a better location than miserable south FL. Soon this will be a reality
Where in the world up north are you?

Here near Philly, which is barely even far up north, it's 17f right now and gusting winds. And it's not unusual, either. May is really the first month you can bet for sure it will be mild. That's why you're not supposed to plant things here until after Mother's Day - danger of frost ends in Mid May.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:27 AM

467 posts, read 1,692,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Where in the world up north are you?

Here near Philly, which is barely even far up north, it's 17f right now and gusting winds. And it's not unusual, either. May is really the first month you can bet for sure it will be mild. That's why you're not supposed to plant things here until after Mother's Day - danger of frost ends in Mid May.

what does it matter where in the usa nah lives,,,it sounds like he never leaves his room anyway.....a room is climate controled. he has said in another thread that he has never felt temps below 40. there is alot of wasted typing in here by those trying to explain to him what cold is. he will experience what its like to have your his feel like someone stuck a thousand pins in it and what it feels like when your fingers are about to fall off and a what a runny nose feels like when it freezes. this is assumming he ever leaves his room in the long winter.
nah should stick to nc. he will not survive the northeast.....i hope he moves and than posts all about it so the northeasterners will finally know that it is not really cold and its only in their minds...

Old 03-06-2007, 05:42 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times
I just got back from my 4 mile walk
temp 35 windchill 33
there was frost on the cars roofs and grass
it was quite entertaining watching folks scrape the frost off their windshield using credit cards one guy was using a CD and one woman in her robe was pouring water.
hmm should of kept that ice scraper when I moved down here

I spoke to my friend in NJ last night he said it was 16 degrees
ok I am flying up to Phila on March 24th
I am putting my order in for no colder than 60 please

Old 03-06-2007, 05:50 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
"March lows a little above freezing.......????"

I don't think so......right now, it is 0 degrees here........that is 32 degrees BELOW freezing. Wind chill right now is minus 17 degrees, but will go lower later today, to at least 20 -30 below ZERO.

At that temp, you bundle up the best you can......let the car run for over 25 minutes BEFORE you go anywhere, Your breath actually HURTS as you inhale that cold air into your lungs.......you actually feel your lungs hurting.

It will not be above freezing here for days.

I do not want to be a complainer......I like this forum for it's info.....I don't want it to be just a sounding board for complainers, so i'll try not to be one.
Yes, I live outside of Buffalo....I do not like it here.

Why am I here then? My job.....I have enough seniority now that it would be difficult for me to make what I now make elsewhere......BUT, you can either light a candle or curse the darkness.....I did do something about it.
as most of you know, I bought a house in Florida this month.

My plan is that I've put it in the hands of a rental manager. I cannot retire for another 1581 days........I will then move down there. I think I will like it more then I like the cold western NY........if I do not, If I am wrong, thank God I live in the best country in the world where I am free to move again someplace else without needing government approval.

Don't get me wrong.....I appreciate the honesty here...there is good and bad everywhere, and it is good to hear all sides......BUT, life is too short to live where you hate living.......we have the power to change almost anything you do not like about your life......just do it......and then be happy.

Frank D.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:57 AM

628 posts, read 1,834,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
feel like someone stuck a thousand pins in it and what it feels like when your fingers are about to fall off and a what a runny nose feels like when it freezes.
Curt -
thanks for the painful reminder. I almost forgot about the runny nose and how raw it gets after a while and then lip balm on your lips or the skin starts to crack -OUCH

I'll take SPF 35 thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida