Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 09:47 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,473,049 times

Advertisements

Used to live in Europe and miss the steak tartare. Real bread. Miss the taste of real turkey. I'm not even going to start with the European pâtisseries...::sigh::

I even miss some of the packaged foods, like in Hungary they had this canned stew with yellow split peas and pork, as well as canned cholent with smoked beef. Those were so 'stick to your ribs' in the wintertime.

Germany and to lesser extent Austria has the best bakery items like those kaiser rolls and huge loaves of everyday bread. The cheese in the Netherlands is better than in France. Miss the frikandel, vla and tompoucen.

Fish and chips with Sarson's malt vinegar.

Damn I want to book another trip now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 03:14 PM

863 posts, read 980,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I don't get the White Castle love AT ALL. It just sounds gross.
I love it, yummy.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:16 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,779,450 times
A pot of speckled butterbeans and purple hulled peas! O and pass the fried chicken and dinner rolls!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:19 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,377,711 times
I grew up beside the Bay of Fundy. We used to eat baked shad, a type of large fish. Never come across it anywhere else. We used to have it regularly, and boy, would I love to have some right now... baked with some onions, served with fresh greens and hot homemade dinner rolls. Sigh.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:34 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,537,954 times
Baltimore steamed crabs, crab cakes and raw oysters. Have to visit a couple times of year because you're hard pressed to find a good crab cake anywhere else.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
This place:

Barbeque*Restaurants*in*Memphis,*TN

Old 03-19-2017, 02:24 PM

894 posts, read 588,553 times
I miss the Jamaican restaurants in New York City. For example, I haven't had even a simple Jamaican beef patty in ages!

(Not the same to buy it in the frozen food section of the supermarket where I currently live.)

Old 03-21-2017, 05:47 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,785,507 times
I miss Cuban food!!!

I binge eat whenever I head down to Florida.

It's lacking/essential non-existent, where i live

Old 03-22-2017, 09:31 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,347,961 times
When I'm away from New York City

Halal, pizza, bagels, chicken parm, tortas

Old 08-06-2020, 07:30 PM

24,151 posts, read 32,568,370 times
Default Foods you miss from "Back Home"

So many North American residents are living in areas other than where they spent their formative years. Some moved willingly, others for a job transfer or because they or a spouse are affiliated with the military. Still others, in search of a different climate or a lower cost of living.

I am the last. We moved because we were taxed out of Long Island, NY. Our taxes rose to almost 30K.

While we like NE Ohio. there are certain foods that are scarce, unavailable, or just not as good here. Obviously, there are other foods that are better.

Here is what I miss the most from the NYC Metro area -

- Steamed Clams dipped in butter. A summer staple in the coastal North East. I can eat buckets of them. Except they aren't available here.

- Buttered Kiaser rolls with coffee. Many German Delis gave free Kiaser Rolls with a cup of coffee at the breakfast hour - between 6 and 10. It's not that they aren't free, it's that they aren't here. These are crusty, poppy seed covered rolls that are not terribly dense. I really miss them. You can also buy a bag of them from a bakery or some supermarkets.

- Decent bagels. I am sure one can get these in the larger cities. I live in a small city. I like bagels to be boiled, first. The bagel makers on the east coast have been doing this for centuries. Yes. Dunkin Donits sells bagels. They are not the same.

- Black and White Cookies - these are large cookies that are glazed with half chocolate and half vanilla, hense their name. You could even pick one up at a convenience store.

- Linzer tarts - a big rasberry jam filled scalloped cookie dusted with confectioners sugar.

Diners - while not exactly a food, NYC Metro diners are places where one can purchase a variety of foods from a variety of ethnicities at all hours. 24/7. They really have ANYTHING. You can also buy a drink with dinner, and the cocktails were always good.

- Challah bread French toast - these were usually sold at the above mentioned diners. Challah is an eggy bread that is delicious on it's own, but especially lends itself to delicious French toast.

- decent Thia and Chinese food from restaurants with table cloths and tables.

Well that's what I miss.

How about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink