Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2022, 11:49 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

Depends on the reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Same here in WV. Had to ask hubby since he was the one that went out that day.

IIRC I've had one or two of Newman's Own, for $5 they're fine to put something warm in the tummy, they're one of those I find I like better the next day when reheated. And I've been a fan of Newman for quite a while for his acting, his auto-racing adventures, and his charitable work so I'm happy to put a few in the freezer when on sale as the charitable work continues.

Old 05-13-2022, 01:29 PM

472 posts, read 244,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Home Run Inn Classic Pepperoni or Cheese Pizza, from Chicago but available nationwide. https://www.homeruninnpizza.com/froz...oduct/classic/
The crust is sooooo good!

Old 05-13-2022, 10:38 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yeah, I grew up in NNJ where some towns seemed to have a decent pizzeria on every other street corner, the only 'pan' pizza I recall in any of them was listed as Sicilian pizza. For me it's a thin, round crust that while crispy on the bottom isn't cracker-like like some frozen pizzas i've tried but has a nice degree of 'chew' to it that makes for a great pizza. That and a balance between the crust, sauce, cheese and toppings if desired, none of them overwhelm any other but work together to make GOOD EATS!
Also from NNJ. Yeah, you have to need to tear the crust away a little with your teeth, not just bite it and it breaks off.

I have been in Canada since November. Went to Albany for three days and got back to Jersey tonight. First thing I did was get pizza. Thin crust from a family-owned place five minutes away. It was just wonderful. I missed good pizza so much.

Old 05-14-2022, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Also from NNJ. Yeah, you have to need to tear the crust away a little with your teeth, not just bite it and it breaks off.

Yep! Like good bread, good pizza crust amazes me that something so simple, flour, yeast, salt, and water can be so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have been in Canada since November. Went to Albany for three days and got back to Jersey tonight. First thing I did was get pizza. Thin crust from a family-owned place five minutes away. It was just wonderful. I missed good pizza so much.

That'd be my first stop if I went back to visit.

I can get some decent pizza here in NC but it's an 18-20 mile drive to get there. I used to walk a few miles everyday in NJ and miss being able to reward myself with a slice along the way.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:40 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
......... I wonder if it's the difficulty of making a good pizzeria style crust on a production line, cost, or? I'd gladly pay what I pay for a pizzeria pizza IF the frozen pizza was really as good.

The way the dough is handled makes an enormous difference. If the dough is stretched by hand or stretched by tossing, you get a completely different crust than if the exact same dough is rolled out or stamped.

Since assembly line pizza isn't going to have the dough individually stretched, the machines making it are going to roll the dough out, or most likely, stamp the dough out.

The stamped out dough can be a good pizza if the cheese is good cheese and the sauce has lots of herbs and spices. Then the pizza is not about the crust, the crust is a sort of plate to carry the toppings. But a good stretched crust adds a lot to the pizza experience.

The quality of the flour makes a huge difference and an expensive pizzeria is likely to pay attention to the flour they use. The mass produced frozen piazza factory is more likely to be considering the cost of the flour instead of choosing flour for the taste.

Good pizza has good sauce and herbs and spices cost money, so that mass produced pizza is going to have a sauce that is mostly tomato and salt.

If you go to a really good pizzeria, a well made pie with good toppings isn't a cheap purchase and if you consider the shipping and packaging and mark-up on the frozen pizza, there is not a lot of $ involved in the ingredients. There is a lot of difference between the ingredients of the two.

Put me in the camp of "any pizza is good pizza". I'll eat just about any of it, especially cold for breakfast the next morning.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Since assembly line pizza isn't going to have the dough individually stretched, the machines making it are going to roll the dough out, or most likely, stamp the dough out.

Looking at what robots are doing these days I can't help but think that the stretching could somehow be duplicated

Quote:
The stamped out dough can be a good pizza if the cheese is good cheese and the sauce has lots of herbs and spices. Then the pizza is not about the crust, the crust is a sort of plate to carry the toppings. But a good stretched crust adds a lot to the pizza experience.

Just my opinion though I agree you can have a good pizza with stamped out dough, I don't think you can have a great one without the foundation(crust) being great.

Quote:
If you go to a really good pizzeria, a well made pie with good toppings isn't a cheap purchase and if you consider the shipping and packaging and mark-up on the frozen pizza, there is not a lot of $ involved in the ingredients. There is a lot of difference between the ingredients of the two.

Maybe not cheap but I consider it a good value when it's really done right. I was just wondering if the economy of scale might allow some maker to be $$$ competitive?

Quote:
Put me in the camp of "any pizza is good pizza". I'll eat just about any of it, especially cold for breakfast the next morning.

Me too, but great pizza is a whole 'nother thing. When I've had frozen pizzeria pizza in the box and haven't had it for a while I've sometimes had it for breakfast, lunch. and dinner. Heated for me please. And brining one home from a Mom & Pop place makes my car smell good for a while.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:37 PM

I was just in a local market and noticed Newman's Own now has frozen pizzas with 'Stone-fired crust' made in Italy. My freezer's kinda full or I would've brought one home.

Anyone partake yet?

Old 05-26-2022, 12:42 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
I was just in a local market and noticed Newman's Own now has frozen pizzas with 'Stone-fired crust' made in Italy. My freezer's kinda full or I would've brought one home.

Anyone partake yet?

I don't know what "stone fired" crust is even like. Thin? Thick? Is it the same as "stone baked"? There are so many names for crusts these days.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't know what "stone fired" crust is even like. Thin? Thick? Is it the same as "stone baked"? There are so many names for crusts these days.

Well, this comes from the horse's mouth: https://newmansown.com/product/margh...e-fired-crust/

The picture reminds me of the crust of a pie I had in a local place with a wood-burning oven and said to be Neopolitan style. If the 'stone fired' comes remotely close to that, I'd be very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink