Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 12:18 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Hey LG (laundry genius) how do you get yellow stains out of whites? You know, the ones you get from body oils after years of wearing the same clothes. lol I've tried soaking in bleach for days, I tried blueing, I tried laundry soap and baking soda. What's left?
Buy a box of powdered Biz. The liquid does not work as well in my experience.

Mix according to directions for the overnight soak.

In the morning, you will find that the color of the water has changed from clear to a light-brownish shade, due to all the gunk being lifted out of the clothes. Wash and dry the clothes as you normally would.

You will then have neon white clothes.... even if they are yellowed from years of use. Even deeply set yellow underarm stains. All of it will be pure glowing white. Its really quite amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 04:26 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapinky0 View Post
Lily, this is prolly the hardest stain known to man to remove, and actually bleach is the worst thing to use it can actually make the yellow brighter. .you can try making a paste with peroxide and baking soda, smear it on the stain work it gently in with your fingers, let it sit several hours and wash in cold water (remember hot water sets stains) You could also soak the stains with pure lemon juice and hang it in the sun..be sure these examples are used only on whites. I cant guarantee this will work, if im reading you correctly its on shirts youve worn for years? It may be set in to far now, but its worth a try. Lol..let me know the results..a few years back before phosphates were taken out of automatic dishwasher soap (cascade) this was the best to wash whites in, lol, im not joking.
Peroxide is the one thing I haven't tried. I use it on blood stains all the time, but never thought about yellows. I'll try that.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:27 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post

In the morning, you will find that the color of the water has changed from clear to a light-brownish shade, due to all the gunk being lifted out of the clothes. Wash and dry the clothes as you normally would.

You will then have neon white clothes.... even if they are yellowed from years of use. Even deeply set yellow underarm stains. All of it will be pure glowing white. Its really quite amazing.
Powdered Biz is on my shopping list. I'm trying peroxide first since I have that on hand, but if that doesn't work the biz is definitely worth a try.

Thanks everyone, I hate buying new stuff when my old stuff is perfectly fine, plus one of these shirts is a favorite.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:17 AM

68 posts, read 79,189 times
Quote:
I have better things to spend my money on other than fashionable clothing.
I absolutely agree.

Quote:
I also dont notice what others are wearing unless there stained,smelly,or falling apart than i would probably notice since i fancy myself being a laundry genius
I do care about that my clothes are clean and not smelly. But I don't mind wearing worn out things. Well, not falling apart, but holes don't bother me.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:09 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,427 times
I'm a retired 66 yr old Fil/Am living in the Philippines. I have a pair of brown sports hiking shoes I bought from Pay Less Shoe Store in California that I have worn for the past 20 yrs and still going strong! I'm not into hiking though! All of my cloths are wash and wear! I own 2 pairs of rubber "Pacific Islander" flip flops and 1 pair of leather "Hang Ten" brown sandal!
My 6 pairs of assorted jeans are "hand me downs" from my wife that I have been wearing for the past 15 yrs!
I only buy assorted T-shirts from our local department store on a an average of once a month! I have at least 20 assorted T-shirts and at least 5 designer polo shirts I seldom wear, because they always need ironing after they come out of the washer/dryer! My wife of 30 yrs still does all of my cloths, washed, folded and or hung neatly! She's still a doll at age 50!
I have 14 pairs of assorted designer briefs and 7 pairs of black and white socks!
I only have 2 pairs of brown and black dress shoes I seldom wear. I only own 1 black dress pants and at least 3 dress shirts suitable for formal wear. I own 2 sports jogging outfits, I don't jog or run though!
I do not own a suit! I don't own a thick heavy jacket! I don't have any hats! I own 1 swimming trunk, but swim on occasion in our community pool at least once a month.
I think I'm good to go for the duration, at least 20 more years to come!

Old 11-08-2014, 11:58 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post

Finally....the secret is out

Old 12-20-2014, 02:01 AM

68 posts, read 79,189 times
Almost now. I have 3 t-shirts (2 have noticeable holes), but only one pair of jeans, one hoodie and a pair of flip-flops.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:44 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I have tons of ratty work at home clothes. Shorts and tees for summer and sweats for winter. I am remodeling my house and I always get dirty. But the clothes always start out clean!

I dress much nicer to go out.

Today's choice, South Pole sweat pants and an Eyore sweatshirt. And Uggs. All thrift store purchases. It's cold today and I haven't had to turn the heat on yet this year. Much cheaper to dress appropriately.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Finally....the secret is out
Soaking clothing in Biz is a secret? It's been around since the 60's. Works great. So does 20 Mule Team Borax when used as a detergent booster.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:04 AM

11 posts, read 18,210 times
I work in a very casual environment, so my work clothes are the same as my everyday clothes. For a female, I definitely have a much smaller wardrobe then most of my peers and that's deliberate. I have actually been making a point of weeding through my clothes continuously for the last year or so, to pull out items I don't wear, are looking dated or worn, or that I just don't fit well. I am not replacing any of the discarded clothes, unless it has a specific purpose (winter coat) and I no longer have one.

I could care less about trends and current "must haves," clothes that fit you well and are quality always look good regardless. I will keep a well fitting clothing item until it starts to look worn, then it goes. I will also wear the same outfit more then once a week, however with my current clothing collection I don't need to.

I'm the same way with shoes, I own about 10 pairs of quality shoes that each serve a purpose, hikers, sandals, boots, dress shoes etc.. I don't need 100 pairs of shoes, it's just not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living