Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 10:05 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I am guilty of wearing greasy work clothes for several days, till I finish the project.
Yes, I wear the same work clothes till I'm done too. I'm a messy painter so there's no way I'll wear different clothes to ruin both of them with paint stains. I'll jsut wear one till I'm done. I always wear the same clothes for yard work (washed in between). And I've been wearing them for probably 5 or more years. Blue capris and a pink top that has paint stains. Wonder what the neighbors think? LOL

I wear much the same thing all the time just because I don't have the extra money to buy new stuff all the time. I usually buy 3 or 4 new items twice a year -- summer clothes then winter clothes -- and rotate them in with stuff from the last 10 years that's still wearable.

Around the house I wear the stuff that's not in good enough shape to wear in public anymore and I wear it till it falls off practically. I only buy new hoodies and sweat pants every 10 years or so when the old ones have a hole in an indecent spot. Same with pajamas.

But if I had more money, I would buy more clothes and change them up on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 10:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Yes, I wear the same work clothes till I'm done too. I'm a messy painter so there's no way I'll wear different clothes to ruin both of them with paint stains. I'll jsut wear one till I'm done. I always wear the same clothes for yard work (washed in between). And I've been wearing them for probably 5 or more years. Blue capris and a pink top that has paint stains. Wonder what the neighbors think? LOL

I wear much the same thing all the time just because I don't have the extra money to buy new stuff all the time. I usually buy 3 or 4 new items twice a year -- summer clothes then winter clothes -- and rotate them in with stuff from the last 10 years that's still wearable.

Around the house I wear the stuff that's not in good enough shape to wear in public anymore and I wear it till it falls off practically. I only buy new hoodies and sweat pants every 10 years or so when the old ones have a hole in an indecent spot. Same with pajamas.

But if I had more money, I would buy more clothes and change them up on a regular basis.
heck, although, like you, I can't afford to replace my cloths very often if I could I would still wear a few of my favorites around the house: I have 2 long dresses (winter) one is flannel and one fleese; I wear them all winter if I am not going somewhere. They are warm, comfy and easy to wash. I have a good friend who live here, she and hubby have enough money to buy and sell all of us: she still has mostly cloths she wore when she was working 10 or more years ago. As think, as we age, we care more about being comfortable and not into trends as much as we did in our 20s. As someone once said to me, when I thought capri's were going out: "at our age, we can wear what we want" if people laugh at us: oh well." Now you are not nearly as old as me, but you get the idea.

oh, btw, I do get a couple of outfits every summer and maybe a few new pair of pants or jeans in the winter: sale priced only

Old 01-14-2017, 10:30 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
And don't forget sewing.

No, you can't buy decent fabric for a top as cheaply as you can buy a top - or even two tops - at W*Mart.

But you sure can make something that actually fits, and will look good for years.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And don't forget sewing.

No, you can't buy decent fabric for a top as cheaply as you can buy a top - or even two tops - at W*Mart.

But you sure can make something that actually fits, and will look good for years.
True but more people today do not have machines than do and young people today are not taught to sew. Plus it can be time consuming. I used to make all my girls cloths when they were little and many of my own. That was 40 plus years ago. Stopped sewing when I cut hot a dress one fall and still hadn't started putting it together the following spring. I knew then, my days of making my own cloths had passed.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:42 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Of course clothing has become so inexpensive that many people buy clothes and discard them after wearing them once. I bet many don't even know if their washing machines work.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:21 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Why do you care?

Old 01-22-2017, 12:18 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Could be a just curious kind of question. I know that many times I have a "uhmmm, I wonder" kind of thought pop into my head. And, yes, I do ask myself, why I would even wonder about that.

It's no different from people -- some constantly asking "Why do you care?" Why are YOU asking why that person cares?

Just like the OP and others are apparently curious about this issue….apparently YOU are curious enough to ask why they care.

Every question asked -- every conversation, even one another person thinks someone shouldn't care about -- can be a learning experience or a point of introspection about oneself.

To be honest I wish people would stop asking "Why do you care?" If they have nothing to add to the conversation then IMO -- and I am in titled to have one -- they shouldn't bother. It's like they're instigators or agitators who can only go around asking "why do you care" why do you care?" Is that really advancing the intelligent exchange of ideas?

Old 01-23-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Of course clothing has become so inexpensive that many people buy clothes and discard them after wearing them once. I bet many don't even know if their washing machines work.
I really doubt many people wear something once and discard it. As for clothes beinging inexpensive, where did that come from?

Old 01-23-2017, 12:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
I once ended up with four different colors of the same $20 cotton sweater from the outlet mall because I liked how it fit. I'm picky about how clothes fit me and am apparently somewhat oddly shaped, so I tend to have fewer items I wear a lot.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:59 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,074,629 times
I tend to wear the same clothes over and over. After being washed, of course.
I do this because I feel comfortable in them. And if I'm out running errands, I like being comfortable.

I used to dress to impress when I was younger...new tight jeans , cute little top, curled my hair.
Now, not so much!! I want to be admired for my brain these days. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living