Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 03:15 PM

213 posts, read 237,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Because they really like that outfit?

I buy multiples of things I really like. I don't like shopping for clothes, and buying multiples of something I really like saves me a lot of time.
I guess. Sounds like no sense of style to buy the same exact outfit, but to each his own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 03:46 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancellor14 View Post
I guess. Sounds like no sense of style to buy the same exact outfit, but to each his own
Style is individual so maybe someone else thinks you lack style. Who cares, I buy multiples, if I find osmething that fits me well and I look good in why not buy 2 or multiple colors? Also some people could care less about style. Thats kind of where I fall. Me personally I'd rather take a few vacations a year or have a boat or a motorcycle than have a bunch of clothes, other people have different prefences, my roomates gf buys $600 cashmere sweaters. To me thats stupid but its not my money so who cares, to her that makes her happy.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:49 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,124 times
Sure - it's called a uniform.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:32 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
There are times I WISH I'd bought multiples. Like the Mountrek summer sandals I got for $15 which turned out to be the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I had no idea regular price was $60+. Of course the ones on sale were gone by the time I figured out I loved them so now I'm wearing ragged sandals all summer because I can't find anything cheap I like as much.
I went through this recently. I have a pair of shoes I've worn for years, never considering they might stop making them at some point. They're getting pretty worn out. The company stopped making this style in 2008. Just a few weeks ago, one night I did a random google search for them (which I have done off and on over the years) and found a practically brand new pair in my size on ebay! I couldn't believe it!! I bought them immediately.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Depends on your body type. If you are hard to fit, for whatever reason, when you find something that really works on you, it makes a lot of sense to buy at least a couple.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:30 PM

213 posts, read 237,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Style is individual so maybe someone else thinks you lack style. Who cares, I buy multiples, if I find osmething that fits me well and I look good in why not buy 2 or multiple colors? Also some people could care less about style. Thats kind of where I fall. Me personally I'd rather take a few vacations a year or have a boat or a motorcycle than have a bunch of clothes, other people have different prefences, my roomates gf buys $600 cashmere sweaters. To me thats stupid but its not my money so who cares, to her that makes her happy.
Multiple colors is fine too but you are right, we all have different taste. It's not about having a bunch of clothes, why have 5 of the same outfit when you could by 5 different outfits at around the same cost?

Old 01-29-2015, 08:02 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Multiple colors is fine too but you are right, we all have different taste. It's not about having a bunch of clothes, why have 5 of the same outfit when you could by 5 different outfits at around the same cost?
I don't usually buy outfits; I buy tops and bottoms separately and then mix and match. And when I buy miltiples of an item (2-3, I don't thik I've ever gone as high as 5), it's because it's something in a classic color that's highly versatile and doesn't go out of fashion. Right now I have 3 identical pairs of navy blue pants in my closet. I really, really like the way that particular pair of pants fits me, and navy blue is a classic color that goes with a lot of things. So why not get more than 1 pair of those pants, since I like them so much? They may not be available later, when the first pair is worn out.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:32 AM

68 posts, read 79,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I feel like I could wear the same jeans for a year, but so far I have resisted the temptation, and alternate two pairs between laundries.
I only have one pair of jeans. Works.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:05 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,377,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
Sure - it's called a uniform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~skywalker~ View Post
I only have one pair of jeans. Works.
Work Uniform is what you'll normally see me wearing. No reason to beat up one of my two pairs of Jeans while working around the house (which is most of the time)

Old 02-26-2015, 09:00 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,189 times
I use to shop a lot in clearance section and lots of clothes I didn't like wearing. Since getting married and moving in with my husband, I have lot less space. I started his method of shopping. Now beginning of every season we buy few good items we can wear thruout the season. Then end of season if its still good shape I might save it or donate it. This helps as I have finite number of options in the morning but its not all same. I also don't need as much closet space as my out of season clothes are tucked away in basement

This winter I got: 1 pull over sweater, 1 turtle neck, 1 puffy vest, 1 cardigan & 1 jeans. I already hand another jeans from last season along with several tshirts/full sleeve tshirts & light cardigan from fall I can layer with. All this fits in one drawer & I am good for entire winter.

My boots on the other hand is the exact same one I had for last 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living