Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2020, 02:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

I'm resisting the temptation to plant things, but it's hard with the temps in the upper 50s this weekend. IT'S A TRAP, IT'S A TRAP!

I did cut back my roses though. It felt GREAT to get outside and get all dirty. It's killing me not to plant things in the back yard but I have to wait for 1) the pool, and 2) no more frost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 05:01 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm resisting the temptation to plant things, but it's hard with the temps in the upper 50s this weekend. IT'S A TRAP, IT'S A TRAP!

I did cut back my roses though. It felt GREAT to get outside and get all dirty. It's killing me not to plant things in the back yard but I have to wait for 1) the pool, and 2) no more frost.
Me too! It did feel so good to be out in the sun. I split a day lily into 6 and got them planted, and cut back the roses. Our last frost date is 3/15. I’ll tackle another day lily today. We will be in the 80s next week, so it’s hard to hold back from fertilizing, and spring planting. I think I’ll put some Preen down today.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Me too! It did feel so good to be out in the sun. I split a day lily into 6 and got them planted, and cut back the roses. Our last frost date is 3/15. I’ll tackle another day lily today. We will be in the 80s next week, so it’s hard to hold back from fertilizing, and spring planting. I think I’ll put some Preen down today.
AUGH!

I wish we'd had more sun - it was mostly cloudy and once I got outside I had to go back inside to get something to keep my hair out of my eyes and to put some socks on under my lovely Crocs! It was chilly with that wind. But I could feel spring in the air!

Old 02-18-2020, 04:58 PM

Well, we did it - signed the contract and made the down payment today! Of course it's supposed to rain all week so there's that - but at least we got on the list before the huge influx of "spring timers." So we are looking at starting to dig up the yard in a week or so!

Old 02-19-2020, 06:44 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Well, we did it - signed the contract and made the down payment today! Of course it's supposed to rain all week so there's that - but at least we got on the list before the huge influx of "spring timers." So we are looking at starting to dig up the yard in a week or so!

Congratulations! And a week is good! We've got some people here pushing 6-7 wks on the digging. Sooo wet!!

Old 02-19-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Congratulations! And a week is good! We've got some people here pushing 6-7 wks on the digging. Sooo wet!!
Well, thank you - that was yesterday before it rained cats and dogs all day today (and it's still raining with more rain forecast). So who knows...

Old 02-20-2020, 08:43 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Well, thank you - that was yesterday before it rained cats and dogs all day today (and it's still raining with more rain forecast). So who knows...

Aww. Therein lies the rub. Sometimes it will rain for a week and if a company has 10 customers going at the same time, they all call on the 1 day it stops! lol... I would guess tho, with you getting the smaller pool and not deep, you will be at the front of the line because in many ways it will be an easier pool (and easier to get the subcontractors on) and they'll want to knock it out quick (profitability).

Old 02-20-2020, 02:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
im surprised that you could sign a contract and give a deposit and expect digging to start in a week. that is very efficient.

nothing has happened on my pool since the last pics. they were waiting for plumbing inspection which was supposed to happen yesterday (hopefully it did, i didnt see the inspector on my cameras). hopefully things will start moving again.

i have a paver deck job to add which probably will cost me a lot of money, a fence which i think im just going to do around the pool not yard and im hoping to put minimal landscaping (have to fix a bunch of grass thought). i dont really like a lot of landscaping. also thinking of putting a bathroom outside, have to get moving on that if i have any hope of it being ready for summer.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Aww. Therein lies the rub. Sometimes it will rain for a week and if a company has 10 customers going at the same time, they all call on the 1 day it stops! lol... I would guess tho, with you getting the smaller pool and not deep, you will be at the front of the line because in many ways it will be an easier pool (and easier to get the subcontractors on) and they'll want to knock it out quick (profitability).
I don't really think that 16 x 36 is small but ok. An average sized inground pool is considered to be 14 x 28. But they have told us that since it's not as deep as average we are less likely to hit water when they dig which is a plus.
https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/swi...inground-pool/

Old 02-23-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im surprised that you could sign a contract and give a deposit and expect digging to start in a week. that is very efficient.

nothing has happened on my pool since the last pics. they were waiting for plumbing inspection which was supposed to happen yesterday (hopefully it did, i didnt see the inspector on my cameras). hopefully things will start moving again.

i have a paver deck job to add which probably will cost me a lot of money, a fence which i think im just going to do around the pool not yard and im hoping to put minimal landscaping (have to fix a bunch of grass thought). i dont really like a lot of landscaping. also thinking of putting a bathroom outside, have to get moving on that if i have any hope of it being ready for summer.
I am friends with the pool company owners and they live in our neighborhood so that helps - LOL!

We have costs outside of the costs of the pool too - we have to redo our septic system and sprinkler system, and the hot tub area and pergola are additional. Then of course the landscaping. We need to add some because our yard is a blank slate. I'd like to add an outdoor shower but I don't know where I'd put that!

Money money money money.

Keep us posted - I love your pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden