Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 06:38 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That's complete and utter nonsense. Most of the Irish (not Scots-Irish) who came to the US were Catholic and they are definitely white. Religion has NOTHING to do with being white. My British husband is Catholic and his entire ancestry as far back as I can trace is British and Irish. Are you really trying to claim he's not white?
Thank you! 16 percent of people in Scotland today are still Catholic and if Henry VIII hadn't wanted a divorce, England would still be a Catholic country today. Our Founding Fathers would have been Catholic. 34 percent of Germans are Catholic as well. Anyone who thinks you have to be Protestant to be white is delusional.

Last edited by marino760; 02-12-2018 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 07:16 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Every European has Neanderthal
Everyone of European or Asian ancestry has Neanderthal DNA. Only those of solely African descent don't.

Ancient DNA and Neanderthals | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Thank you! 16 percent of people in Scotland today are still Catholic and if Henry VIII hadn't wanted a divorce, England would still be a Catholic country today. Our Founding Fathers would have been Catholic. 34 percent of Germans are Catholic as well. Anyone who thinks you have to be Protestant to be white is delusional.
Yep. This may be why I've read occasional claims that the Irish aren't white. They are literally among the whitest humans ever. Oh, and not all are Catholic. But here's another factoid that may blow the minds of the ill informed, everyone of any non-Jewish European ancestry has Catholic ancestors. The Catholic church is the organization that Christianized Europe. Whites who love their Christianity have the Catholic church to thank for bringing the religion to their ancestors.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:43 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Big deal, well only as important as any other ancestors. Are there any immigrant ancestors you have studied and assign some sort of significance to? If so then these non-European ones are no different. Ancestors are all individuals in the end not percentages of ethnicity, so those percentages represent people and at the right levels for someone around 300+ years ago or so.
No. My mother was adopted... I've tracked down who I believe was her birth mother, and she had another daughter.. so, she's going through 23andme testing now.. If she comes back 99% european without the other stuff.. We know it came from my mothers father.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:36 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Ancestry's most commonly asked question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geE7zsehccY

Old 02-12-2018, 09:34 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Yep. This may be why I've read occasional claims that the Irish aren't white. They are literally among the whitest humans ever. Oh, and not all are Catholic. But here's another factoid that may blow the minds of the ill informed, everyone of any non-Jewish European ancestry has Catholic ancestors. The Catholic church is the organization that Christianized Europe. Whites who love their Christianity have the Catholic church to thank for bringing the religion to their ancestors.
I think the U.S. Census is the culprit of this big mess

Old 02-12-2018, 10:13 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
As I said before, here in the United States the term "white" is an ETHNIC group. You have to be Caucasian, Anglo Saxon and Protestant in order to be "white"....LOL
So, if you are Italian, Catholic, you are not white.
I have seen many hispanics with blue eyes, and blond hair. Take a look at Jorge Ramos from Univision. But since Jorge speaks spanish, and is catholic, and was born in Mexico, he is not white.
If this is your actual view of things, and not some kind of failed or misguided joke, it only makes you look incredibly foolish (I'm trying to be kind here). None of that makes a lick of sense, is utterly false, and reflects poorly on your intellect.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:05 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My 23 & Me results showed that I'm 50% Ashkenazi Jew which was a surprise, because that is not part of our known family history or heritage. Even more surprising is the fact that my brother's test showed no Jewish DNA (for lack of a better term). I can only figure that my mother had an extramarital relationship. She and my father are both dead so there isn't really anyone to ask, not that I would have ever brought it up to my father.

Anyway, I'm puzzled and curious, but not angry about any of it. I just wish I'd been able to ask my mom about it. I must have relatives who I don't know out there, but have not yet turned up anyone closer than 3rd or 4th cousins.

I have decided, though, to give this advice to people who talk about giving everyone in the family 23 & Me tests as a gift: If someone says, "I'd rather not", or "I wish you wouldn't", think long and hard before you go against their wishes. Once that genie is out of the bottle, there's no putting him back.
I don't know your personal situation but a fair number of ethnic Jews converted to Christianity and passed as gentile (or became gentile, depending on your POV).

Old 02-13-2018, 12:32 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Honestly, I know it's just me but I don't understand this fascination with having some Native American DNA. It's not like it's something rare or like it makes you a better person somehow. There are hundreds of millions of ordinary people from Mexico southward that have a relatively large percentage of Native American and no one makes a big deal of it. Am I missing something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
1. It absolves you of all guilt for slavery and genocide because you are admitted to the victim class.

2. It makes you fascinting and exotic and people will like you more.

3. White people are boring and don't have a culture or ethnicity.

And the ever popular “can I get money somewhere somehow”.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:48 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It must have been some sort of common story for parents to tell their kids at bedtime or something at one time that became believed as fact over time. It's almost always Cherokee, and it's almost always a great-grandmother.
I went on the hunt of a similar story in my husbands family. This is a very Nordic family ... with “one dark haired guy with high cheekbones who couldn’t grow facial hair”: My husbands dad.

Nobody has done DNA; it was sort of a self-challenge. I got way farther than I thought ... good grief, this family is a dream to research. It was distracting ... pretty soon I was “in” Scotland, realizing that this huge clan had been looking for my husbands family for years: “The lost descendants of David ...” but no Native Americans to be found.

But then I backtracked. Back to Virginia in the 1600’s. This time using Newspaper Archive & Chronicling America. And I found 2 different wills by the same man, done 9 years apart & the last one mentioned a “daughter & child” that wasn’t on the first one, despite this daughter being in her 30’s.

I’ll be darned if that daughter didn’t turn up being named in a fairly high-profile incident between the natives & the settlers, as one of of several women that had been abducted during a raid. They were returned about 8 years later, as part of negotiations between the Army & the Natives. And she had returned ... with a son. And that son, was my husbands great x7 grandfather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Northeast African isn't the same as Northwest African. What are your Eurogenes K36.

Most of your responses will be from Americans who are really weird about this white black thing pretty much all cultures descended from new world colonial societies are weird about this.
I’m not the poster you quoted but I noticed you mentioned the Eurogenes K36; which has been the object of my recent interest. I just ran 4 family members from 3 generations (dad, maternal uncle, myself & a son) through that calculator.

Was surprised to find that I resulted in 24 out of the 36 populations (dad=16, maternal uncle=16 & son=18), yet had the highest percentages of West Mediterranean & East Balkan; even more so than the supposedly “full-blooded” Greek.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:11 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
As I said before, here in the United States the term "white" is an ETHNIC group. You have to be Caucasian, Anglo Saxon and Protestant in order to be "white"....LOL
So, if you are Italian, Catholic, you are not white.
I have seen many hispanics with blue eyes, and blond hair. Take a look at Jorge Ramos from Univision. But since Jorge speaks spanish, and is catholic, and was born in Mexico, he is not white.
I will add my vote to this as nonsense.

My Mexican DIL, who speaks Spanish and is Catholic, is whiter than I am, and I am 99.9% European. I am pink compared to her; her skin is like alabaster. She is white Hispanic.

White is a skin color, long used to impute race, which we now know, as DNA is telling us, is a pretty useless construct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy