Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Point Roberts, WA. That's my favorite. Someday I want to go there, just because it's so odd to me. It's like a suburb of Vancouver, BC, but you have to go through customs to get in. And there are houses right along the border where you can literally wave to your neighbors in another country.
Why doesn't the US just give Point Roberts, Nortwest Angle and Alburgh Vermont back to Canada, I assume most of the people that live there work and do everything else in Canada. They are probably paying less taxes, wonder what they do for Health Care and things like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
ALMOST FORGOT THIS ONE: Savannah is closer to Charlotte than it is to Atlanta.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
There is a spot in the Catskill Mountains where, on a clear day, you can see 5 states (NY, MA, VT, CT, NH).

Catskill Mountains Point Lookout Inn Windham NY Hotel
On the same idea you can see 7 states from rock city in lookout mountain, Georgia (GA, TN, AL, KY, VA, NC and SC).

Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Why doesn't the US just give Point Roberts, Nortwest Angle and Alburgh Vermont back to Canada, I assume most of the people that live there work and do everything else in Canada. They are probably paying less taxes, wonder what they do for Health Care and things like that?
I have no clue. From my research on Point Roberts, they have a grade school for kids, but by high school, they have to take a bus into Canada and back down into Washington, and go through customs, just to get to school. But I believe all their phone and electric service comes from Canada. I'm sure if you want to "go into town", or the city, you would always go into Vancouver. It doesn't look like they're much more than 30 min. from downtown. My guess is going through customs is fairly easy since there are so few residents. The customs people probably know them all by name.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:42 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
THe Distance from the northermost point to the southermost point of Massachusetts is greater than that of Tenneesee

Old 02-17-2012, 01:52 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Love this thread.

There are no signs anywhere along the route, but US-50 between the Capital Beltway and Annapolis is actually Interstate 595. I-595 is the longest stretch of unsigned interstate in the nation.

The first Interstate in the nation was a piece of I-70 between Kansas City, MO and Topeka, KS.

Interstate 275 (Cincinnati Beltway) is the longest "interstate" designated beltway in the nation and the only one that enters three states.

North Kansas City, Missouri is south of Kansas City, North which is the part of Kansas City, Missouri north of the Missouri River although all of Kansas City, Missouri is east of Kansas City, Kansas and west of Missouri City, Missouri. There is also a Kansas City, Oregon and a Kansas City Tennessee as well as a Missouri City, Texas. OH and when you cross the Missouri River in Kansas City, you may or may not change from one state to the other.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-17-2012 at 02:09 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Pittsburgh is further east than Miami Beach.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:23 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Point Roberts, WA. That's my favorite. Someday I want to go there, just because it's so odd to me. It's like a suburb of Vancouver, BC, but you have to go through customs to get in. And there are houses right along the border where you can literally wave to your neighbors in another country.
I have been there. Quickest border crossing I have ever made. You basically cruise down the main drag in Tsawwassen, BC, a Vancouver suburb, stop at a guard house, and then cross. It reminds me of the nearby San Juan islands with a country/vacation type of feel. I have been told that some NHL players with the Canucks have had homes there to keep their U.S. green card status.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:37 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,299 times
I have read every page of this thread. A first for me.

Thanks to everyone who has expanded my knowledge of truly weird geography!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Why doesn't Canada give the US Vancouver Island?

Point Roberts in an American asset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.