Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 09:15 AM

55 posts, read 210,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ accent?? The Midwest is generally regarded as the area of the United States that has a neutral accent unless you're in select areas like northern Minn. or North Dakota.
The accent where they say "ruff" instead of roof, and "jahn" instead of bathroom or toilet. I realize not all mid westerners have that accent but some do. It's very hard on east coast ears.

And for the record, I think the Philly accent is nearly as irritating. It's just that mid west accent I almost have a physical reaction to.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:10 AM

787 posts, read 1,696,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
That's still not the same as being "consistently named a gamma world city" like you said previously.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Twin Cities. A lot, actually. I could easily see myself getting a job out there after I graduate from college, but, seriously, get over yourselves. You MSP guys are as bad as the people from Denver and Seattle, and you're quickly approaching the level of arrogance and smugness I thought could only demonstrated by the Bay Area/NYC folks. Minneapolis is a fine town, it's just not very diverse. So what? Why brag about your non-existent diversity when you have plenty of other things to brag about? And here's a thought, you could try not bragging about your city at all. Let it stand on its own merits like only truly great cities can.

The lists are not yearly or even bianually. Twice in ten years (when the studies are done) the Twin Cities has been recognized as a gamma world city. Some cities that were present in 1998/1999 (like Kansas City) at certain levels have dropped off the list, or moved downward in rankings.

It's not even about bragging, it's realizing that your town has a lot to be proud of, and the Twin Cities do. If pointing out positives are bragging, then so be it. BTW, I don't live there currently...it's going away that has made me appreciate MSP. Are there negatives? yup. I can list 'em for you, if you want.

Are the Twin Cities the most diverse? Hell no. But have they changed rapidly in regard to diversity? Yes. Are they more diverse than people give them credit for? Yes as well. If you went to Minneapolis or Saint Paul right now, you'd see (not read statistics about) that as well.

As a first generation American, I've seen cultures from all over the world make their home in a freezing, traditionally German/Scandinavian, northern metropolis. And many of those people, like myself, would tell you that the Twin Cities has become their true second home.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:28 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehStone View Post
The accent where they say "ruff" instead of roof, and "jahn" instead of bathroom or toilet. I realize not all mid westerners have that accent but some do. It's very hard on east coast ears.

And for the record, I think the Philly accent is nearly as irritating. It's just that mid west accent I almost have a physical reaction to.

It's actually pronounced "roof" in the Midwest everywhere I've been. I thought "ruff" was maybe a rural southern thing.

We use the term "bathroom" or "restroom", but not "toilet". I've heard of "jahn", but I'm not sure where that's used.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:30 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:

Right, because the New England accent is so soothing on the eardrums. Wicked pisser!

Hey, I notice your location says suburban Philly. You do realize that between Philly and Pittsburgh, the rest of your state looks very "Midwestern-y," right?

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Sully and Denise: Ball Game

Last edited by EastSideMKE; 10-03-2009 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-03-2009, 02:39 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Right, because the New England accent is so soothing on the eardrums. Wicked pisser!

Hey, I notice your location says suburban Philly. You do realize that between Philly and Pittsburgh, the rest of your state looks very "Midwestern-y," right?

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Sully and Denise: Ball Game

Most of rural PA is very Appalachian in character and not Midwestern. The farm belt of PA is mostly in the southern and eastern part of the state.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It's actually pronounced "roof" in the Midwest everywhere I've been. I thought "ruff" was maybe a rural southern thing.

We use the term "bathroom" or "restroom", but not "toilet". I've heard of "jahn", but I'm not sure where that's used.

"Ruff" "Rowt" and "rutt" (roof, route, root) can definitely be heard in MN, Northern WI, and probably the U.P. Not everyone though, but I've definitely heard it.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:26 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
"Ruff" "Rowt" and "rutt" (roof, route, root) can definitely be heard in MN, Northern WI, and probably the U.P. Not everyone though, but I've definitely heard it.
I've lived in Wisconsin for many years, and I've never heard "ruff" or rutt" - never. "Rowt" I've heard, but I've heard people on television pronounce it that way as well. "Rowt" is definitely not the norm, however.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I've lived in Wisconsin for many years, and I've never heard "ruff" or rutt" - never. "Rowt" I've heard, but I've heard people on television pronounce it that way as well. "Rowt" is definitely not the norm, however.
It was only people from northern Wisconsin who I heard it from...and only a couple. I definitely don't think that it's the majority or even close. Same kind of people who say room kind of like "rum" and milk=melk

Old 10-03-2009, 04:09 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Oh the Midwest is great if you like corn and the smell of cow ****.

I do like the people there butI could live without the midwestern countryside... and that accent is like nails on a chalkboard. I love chicago.
Funny, I've never been to a farm let alone a corn field! Hahahahaha.. are you serious bro? Like Pennsylvania isn't 90% rural and backcountry. I'm sorry, but your ignorance is astounding. Oh and in Ohio, 75% of the population lives in urbanized areas- - far from any farms. Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Toledo, Akron, etc are anything but rural.

www.urbanohio.com

And I suggest you actually travel and become cultured before spewing nonsense again.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:04 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
It was only people from northern Wisconsin who I heard it from...and only a couple. I definitely don't think that it's the majority or even close. Same kind of people who say room kind of like "rum" and milk=melk
I live in northern Wisconsin - definitely not the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.