Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 08:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times

Advertisements

Memphis averages 64% sunshine. Its winter months are around 50%, which isnt terribly higher than MI. And then it rains a lot more in Memphis than in MI. So basically Memphis isnt much sunnier than MI, at least not enough that youd really notice, its not friggin Yuma, AZ for petes sake!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:09 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,607,508 times
Quote:
I moved to Chicago and when people heard I'm from Iowa I always got the "oh my god! Did you grow up on a farm? What was that like!?". I just laughed, told them I actually grew up in a metro area, and that contrary to popular belief, only 1 out of 20 people in Iowa actually lives on a farm. Everyone just thinks FARMS FARMS FARMS, but in reality a vast majority of the economy is driven by manufacturing, finance/real estate/insurance, government, healthcare and education services.

Agriculture is only 3%.
Dude, stop trying to minimize the imortance of farming in Iowa. Farming is a huge part of Iowa's economy. According to this article, "Production agriculture and ag-related industries directly and indirectly employ one of every six Iowans (or 17 percent of the state’s workforce)." Study Measures Significance of Agriculture to Iowa Economy

I understand that you're from an urban area, but I don't get why people freak out because their home state is associated with agriculture. Agriculture is important. It's cool. Being from Iowa is unique and something to be proud of. It's basically unmatched worldwide for soil quality.

Is it better to hang your hat on being from a mediocre mid-sized city in Iowa, or should you show some pride in being from one of the top agricultural areas in the World?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Up North View Post

Reason: Television programs......seems to this ole' guy that TV programs over the years have shown folks on the coasts as hip, city-dwellers......folks in the south (heavily stereotyped) as hicks.....folks in Texas as "rough and tumble".....folks in the midwest as: getting up, going to work, coming home. You know, normal.

Counterpunch: Yep.....normal.
_____

Bear
Lots of normal in Missouri lately. Between that crazy little 15 year old girl that killed her 9 year old friend, the child molesting "christian" elders or the pizza delivery guy that held a kid for a few years and was only caught after he kidnapped another kid.

Yep.....normal.

Weirdness also happens in California and New York. Its a bit expected. But those states also have much larger populations. Per capita, I would guess that Missouri actually beats CA and NY on the sick/weird index.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Dude, stop trying to minimize the imortance of farming in Iowa. Farming is a huge part of Iowa's economy. According to this article, "Production agriculture and ag-related industries directly and indirectly employ one of every six Iowans (or 17 percent of the state’s workforce)." Study Measures Significance of Agriculture to Iowa Economy

I understand that you're from an urban area, but I don't get why people freak out because their home state is associated with agriculture. Agriculture is important. It's cool. Being from Iowa is unique and something to be proud of. It's basically unmatched worldwide for soil quality.

Is it better to hang your hat on being from a mediocre mid-sized city in Iowa, or should you show some pride in being from one of the top agricultural areas in the World?
Total respect for farmers.

I have a bit of a NY accent, and it really seems to bother people when I tell them that I grew up between two farms in the Hudson Valley; and that I actually worked on those farms and know how to operate some farm equipment.

I guess it throws their perception of NY as an urban state out the door.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I don't see any of that around here.

I will agree that religion makes people do crazy things.
Take a look at these.

Missouri Agriculture Department wants to shed thick 'puppy mill' coat - Columbia Missourian

Abuse of animals and pets here is common. Here in the KC area I often read about some torturing dogs and cats by lighting them on fire or how someone has shot a duck with a crossbow (in a suburban setting, not a hunting area) and how horses have been unfed etc.

A small sampling of the number of alleged and convicted pedophiles that exist in MO. Granted this sick form of gratification exists in many areas of the country, but it seems as though MO has a disproportionately high number of these kind of people per capita. And they do tend to gravitate towards family members. Gives new meaning to the saying "the family that stays together, plays together."

5 Mohler Family Members Charged With Sex Crimes Against Children

http://www.fox4kc.com/wdaf-rinehart-more-charges-story,0,4004780.story/ (broken link)

Court sentences child molester to life plus 130 years

http://www.examiner.net/archive/x169...tation-charges

Missouri Supreme Court considers child molester's request to see his children - Daily Record and the Kansas City Daily News-Press | Encyclopedia.com (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-19433178.html - broken link)

And yes, MO has the highest % of meth labs in comparison to its population out of the 50 states and DC. I've seen this fact reported in main stream news media in addition to the note on the first page of the following link.

NOMETH.ORG

Missouri: Not the meth capital - Columbia Missourian

Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Found this too. Both studies place MO high on this list too.

offender counts

Swivel | Registered Sex Offender Counts by State

Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Agreed! Rowt seems to be the one that is right on the list for the vast majority in the areas mentioned. Ant does seems popular in most of those places as well. I went to school in the UP, and have family and friends in Minnesota and WI. Never in all my travels through those areas have heard melk, rutt, ruff, used for milk, root, or roof. Western Michigan also uses Rowt and Ant, but not the others.
Route is pronounced two different ways because it is at once a verb and a noun.

"Rowt" s the third person command, also known as the subjunctive. Rowt me there.

"Root" is the noun. I need to know the best root to X.

We really do have the subjunctive in English

The Midwest is a very poorly understood area. I believe everyone thinks that they know it. But at least in my life, the first time that I ever saw a farm was on the east coast. Many native chicagoans, clevelanders, and metro detroiters live in nighborhoods built a very long time ago; places that were literally built to the last inch. What they think of as suburban is quite urban to the rest if the nation. But with Chicago and NYC so close by, they simply see what the other extreme is.

More people in the south and west identify with auto companies as workers and buyers than do people in the Midwest. California has significantly more heavy manufacturing these days, and most places far outpace the mdwest for agriculture.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Route is pronounced two different ways because it is at once a verb and a noun.

"Rowt" s the third person command, also known as the subjunctive. Rowt me there.

"Root" is the noun. I need to know the best root to X.

We really do have the subjunctive in English

The Midwest is a very poorly understood area. I believe everyone thinks that they know it. But at least in my life, the first time that I ever saw a farm was on the east coast. Many native chicagoans, clevelanders, and metro detroiters live in nighborhoods built a very long time ago; places that were literally built to the last inch. What they think of as suburban is quite urban to the rest if the nation. But with Chicago and NYC so close by, they simply see what the other extreme is.

More people in the south and west identify with auto companies as workers and buyers than do people in the Midwest. California has significantly more heavy manufacturing these days, and most places far outpace the mdwest for agriculture.
Well, I have to disagree with a couple of these.

Compared to the East Coast, the Midwest ( inc Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, etc) feels "spread out". Cities like Boston, NYC, Philly, etc, were built to the last MICRO-inch,and are quite a bit older, to boot. The sense of personal space is definately greater in the Midwest, and even more so the further west you migrate.

The Midwest is STILL the breadbasket of the US, and possibly the world. The Midwst still produces large quantities of corn, largely from states such as Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Nebraska, Missouri, Ohio, etc. The Great Plains secton of the Midwest ( KS, NE, SD, ND, western MN, etc) still produces great sums of wheat, sorghums and cattle, and WI, MI and MN are also great centers of dairy production. CA and TX are great agricultural producers, but much of the land in these states is quite arid, and on the whole they don't measure up to the Midwest by themselves.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Take a look at these.

Missouri Agriculture Department wants to shed thick 'puppy mill' coat - Columbia Missourian

Abuse of animals and pets here is common. Here in the KC area I often read about some torturing dogs and cats by lighting them on fire or how someone has shot a duck with a crossbow (in a suburban setting, not a hunting area) and how horses have been unfed etc.

A small sampling of the number of alleged and convicted pedophiles that exist in MO. Granted this sick form of gratification exists in many areas of the country, but it seems as though MO has a disproportionately high number of these kind of people per capita. And they do tend to gravitate towards family members. Gives new meaning to the saying "the family that stays together, plays together."

5 Mohler Family Members Charged With Sex Crimes Against Children

http://www.fox4kc.com/wdaf-rinehart-more-charges-story,0,4004780.story/ (broken link)

Court sentences child molester to life plus 130 years

Man gets five years probation on child molestation charges - Independence, MO - The Examiner

Missouri Supreme Court considers child molester's request to see his children - Daily Record and the Kansas City Daily News-Press | Encyclopedia.com (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-19433178.html - broken link)

And yes, MO has the highest % of meth labs in comparison to its population out of the 50 states and DC. I've seen this fact reported in main stream news media in addition to the note on the first page of the following link.

NOMETH.ORG

Missouri: Not the meth capital - Columbia Missourian
The post I was replying to was taken down (for good reasons). I'm not disputing that it doesn't happen. It does. But as you go through your day to day life, how many of these characters will you actually engage with?

Should you be aware that $#!+ happens? Of course. But there is no reason to live your life in fear, either.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
They've never been there before and they assume

1. It's flat
2. People are hicks
3. It's boring
4. The weather

Here are the myths debunked:

1. It's not all flat. There are plenty of high hills and bluffs. There are even mountains in Michigan.
2. Not everyone is a country hick - There are cities here you know!!!
3. It's not boring! Tons of stuff goes on here!!!
4. Grow some balls and put on a coat! If your that afraid of cold, then you don't know what you're missing with the 4 seasons.
spoken like a tropper!!! thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.