Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 04:16 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee is a beautiful city - the lakefront beats anything Minneapolis has. Anyone who thinks it's a garbage city is simply misinformed.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:24 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I hate the way people from Minnesota think Minneapolis is Paris or something.

Minneapolis has the 2nd most theatre seats per capita after NYC, but Houston actually has the 2nd largest theatre district in the US.

Women do not outnumber men 2:1 in Minneapolis. In fact, men actually outnumber women.
Wonderful graphic you posted. Weird how women gravitate toward the east and men gravitate toward the west, especially in the numbers shown. I guess that's why I like the thought of Seattle being a male, and seeing the m/f ratio high on the female side just gave me more reason th never want to leave Ohio (not that I did, anyway )

Old 08-02-2009, 06:05 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I hate when people make assumptions when they dont have a clue to what they are talking about... I can tell you that Minnesotan's don't think that Minneapolis is Paris... Why would anyone think that?

I was just stating that many people do not realize that the Twin Cities are an arts hub and have a booming arts scene... A lot better than Milwaukee... You're just another angry person from Wisconsin who wishes they were from Minnesota, sad but it's true.

Milwaukee is a garbage city... It's not a global city, and it's merely a suburb of Chicago..

Milwaukee's Airport is lame, the city has a laughable skyline...the only thing going for milwaukee is Miller Park, which I must agree is probably one of the best ballparks in the USA
Psst, Minneapolis isn't a global city either. At least Milwaukee is the suburb of a global city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Wonderful graphic you posted. Weird how women gravitate toward the east and men gravitate toward the west, especially in the numbers shown. I guess that's why I like the thought of Seattle being a male, and seeing the m/f ratio high on the female side just gave me more reason th never want to leave Ohio (not that I did, anyway )
It's a strange trend, but not entirely unexplainable. I have a few theories.

First, the Northeast and Midwest tend to be older than the South and West. Women also tend to outlive men so that can partially explain why the Eastern US has more women than men.

Second, men are more drawn to extreme sports like rock climbing, skiing, snowboarding, kayaking, spelunking, base-jumping, hang gliding, etc. Men tend to gravitate towards the Western states where these activities are more abundant.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:33 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,904 times
...because it's flat and boring. Drive across Indiana and see what I mean.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:41 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
...because it's flat and boring. Drive across Indiana and see what I mean.
You're obviously a troll because had you actually driven throughout Indiana you'd know that it's not all flat. Nor is IL, and nor is OH.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:46 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,904 times
Except for five years in California I've lived in or near the Midwest all my life.

I've driven across Indiana many many times, on I-65 and I-70. And across Illinois on I-55.
The only part of the Indiana with any topography to speak of are the Ohio River counties and the SW part of the state (Hoosier National Forest and Brown County).

The place is flat and boring and I try to drive through as fast as possible.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:16 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Except for five years in California I've lived in or near the Midwest all my life.

I've driven across Indiana many many times, on I-65 and I-70. And across Illinois on I-55.
The only part of the Indiana with any topography to speak of are the Ohio River counties and the SW part of the state (Hoosier National Forest and Brown County).

The place is flat and boring and I try to drive through as fast as possible.
Get off the interstates and quit driving through so fast, you are missing the actual scenery.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:10 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
You're obviously a troll because had you actually driven throughout Indiana you'd know that it's not all flat. Nor is IL, and nor is OH.
Actually, the guy is an urbanist from my hometown of Dayton, Ohio who does awesome work on the internet showing the history of Dayton on his site, www.daytonology.com

He's also from Louisville, and is a diehard supporter of the city of Dayton, and I forum alongside him on a couple other forums besides this one. So yeah, hardly a troll to say the least.

Although, Jeffery, I do have to admit I am suprised about this Indiana hate, and sorry to tell the world who you are on this junk section of City-Data. Still, I troll around here myself mainly to upset southerners (READ- Atlantans), which can actually be quite fun .

Old 08-03-2009, 05:42 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Actually, the guy is an urbanist from my hometown of Dayton, Ohio who does awesome work on the internet showing the history of Dayton on his site, www.daytonology.com

He's also from Louisville, and is a diehard supporter of the city of Dayton, and I forum alongside him on a couple other forums besides this one. So yeah, hardly a troll to say the least.

Although, Jeffery, I do have to admit I am suprised about this Indiana hate, and sorry to tell the world who you are on this junk section of City-Data. Still, I troll around here myself mainly to upset southerners (READ- Atlantans), which can actually be quite fun .
Ah, an urbanista and self-loathing Midwesterner. Nice.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:54 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windhoverblue View Post
I think the great lakes region is beautiful! I am originally from the great lakes region. But I moved south. Why, because the "dirty industry" based midwest mentality has ruined so much of the natural beauty of the great lakes. Lake Michigan, especially, is surrounded by dirty "rust belt" industry and the great lakes are so polluted that you just don't feel safe swimming in them.
The facts don't back up your claims. Lake Michigan is very clean for the most part with some bad areas around SOME of the larger cities. Overall I would check water quality more around the Eastern Seaboard than I would in the Great Lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.