Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Lived in Michigan my whole life, never heard of any mountains. I've done alot of camping and travel, and you're not the first person I've heard mention mountains in Michigan.

We have some hills but I can't recall any mountain in Michigan. The northern half of the lower peninsula and the UP ARE hilly and beautiful, though.
Porcupine Mountains Convention and Visitor Bureau

Old 07-21-2009, 09:11 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
^ The resemblance of parts of Michigan and New York (and Wisconsin) is even more fortified when you mentioned the Porcupine Mountains. The Porcupines are largely protected by a state park and hold the largest old growth hardwood forest west of the Adirondacks.

The Porcupines are also connected to the Adirondacks by the North Country Trail. In addition the Porcupines also have a famous lake called "Lake of the Clouds". Well the official source of the Hudson River in the Adirondacks is "Lake Tear of the Clouds"!

Wildlife seems to be abundant in both areas but one animal that Michigan has and New York does not are Gray Wolves.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Those are gorgeous pictures.

What that area needs is a celebrity to move there and throw parties during the summer...like the hamptons. Or maybe a celebrity golf tournament like Pebble Beach or an annual charity event.

I think Oprah, being the mega-star that she is, would be perfect. But she's always in Santa Barbara or Maui it seems in her off time.

Or how about a Chicago Socialite...that city is loaded with elite people, all they have to do is call their friends on the coast and invite them to some small town on the lake somewhere and the press will follow.

Not that you really want attention, but getting the word out isnt a bad thing. It creates a buzz.

I live in Minnesota. There are a lot of celebrities that live here. Or at least have homes here. Arnold and Tom Cruise..I live a few miles from Bob Dylan and Prince... There are handfuls... people just dont hear of much happening from the midwest simply becaues its less populated so there is less action. Most of the stupid news and garbage you hear about though comes from NYC, California, Florida, or Texas... I would much rather live in MN where its squeaky clean everywhere and full of intellectuals and intelligent people, rather than some nasty places I have seen in Florida, Texas, Arizona, SoCal, Georgia...

Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
I read on the internet that no one actually lives in the Midwest. Is that true?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:06 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I read on the internet that no one actually lives in the Midwest. Is that true?
true, its all robots out there. No people.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:36 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,305,124 times
Having lived both east and west and growing up in the midwest I will say that the people seem too layed back sometimes and when movements come to the midwest from the east or west they come in slowly(and late) and without much of bang. Its like a new trend will just seep in and be there without much energy or excitement behind it. Whereas in the east coast cities movements jump right out in your face with a lot of energy and excitement. The midwest isn't really an exciting place. But there is Chicago and that place can be exciting.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:43 PM

209 posts, read 657,981 times
Lived in the Midwest my entire life. Wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:12 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I, along with the other 66 million people that live in the Midwest, do exist. Trust me. If we were bored, we would move somewhere else. We do have that option, you know.
Absolutely! I've lived in the same Midwestern city my whole life...the only place I could imagine living besides St. Louis is in another Midwestern city further north.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 PM

10 posts, read 23,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative
What are you talking about?Cleveland has some of the best hospitals in the world.People come from all over the world to have major operations at the Cleveland Clinic.To say Cleveland,STL,Detroit,and Cincinnati aren't major cities is wrong,because they most definetly are major cities.

There are many hopsitals in the U.S. that serve as hospitals for major operations. A hospital doesn't automatically make a city major.

The cities you mentioned are not major. If they weren't here, the United States would still be functioning.

[+] Rate this post positively

Hey Genius Phoenix Arizona doesnt have crap for buisness. There Downtown is trash. A suburb of the twin cities has more buisness then that tumbleweed town. There are headquarters in Minneapolis such as Best Buy, Target, General Mills, St. Jude Medical there are so many i cant even list it there are tons of fortune five hundred companies look it up and you will see. You wanna see a real city that actually feels urban and as a downtown with tall skyscrapers come here. I was researching for a college paper, and I found info on your precious Arizona heres a statistic for you roughly 60 percent of the drugs in this country come through AZ's state borders the Mexican drug cartells basically take over the towns there. There are so many illegals and drophouses and crap goin on it seems like a scum bag of a place. And about the cold, yea it can get old sometimes, but so can heat and weather of whatever kind just about anywhere. And Honestly grow a pair and put a jacket on, done deal then your comfortable. We also have this thing called a change of seasons, it also makes you appreciate each and every one of them.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,896 times
^^ LOL I can't even respond to your post.. you're absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not sure if you were quoting someone else in the second part and forgot but.. if you are claiming Minneapolis is a major city and Cleveland, STL, Cincinnati, and Detroit are not.. I'm going to laugh my butt off. That's hilarious. You think Minneapolis has many more Fortune 500 companies than the cities listed? God I hope not.. if you think so, do some research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.