Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 02:56 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think that was the point, Chicago/Milwaukee has around 11,500,000 in the combined urban area, compared to 9,200,000 people in the entire 55,000 square mile area of North Carolina. The largest city in North Carolina is 1/5 the size of the Chicago/Milwaukee area.

Hence you can't really compare a huge city to an entire fairly large state that doesn't even have as many people.
Thank you...it isn't rocket science - it seems pretty simple to understand.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:58 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
Having lived in North Carolina and Wisconsin I find this post kind of strange honestly. It sounds like you were from Milwaukee. I believe Milwaukee is the only place on the Great Lakes that dumps raw sewage into the Lake. No wonder you had to watch out for water quality there. The same doesn't happen in even Chicago. But I agree with you that the old abandoned industral stuff along the Lakes needs to be torn down. These places are few and far between though.
Milwaukee doesn't allow the dumping of raw sewage into the lake, but it does happen on occasion during severe weather.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There are 11.4 million people in the Chicago-Milwaukee "region" (which incidentally is about the size of N.C.)...there are 9.2 million people in the state of North Carolina. Don't make it sound like the difference in population is drastic - it isn't.
This doesn't make any sense. Chicagoland alone has slightly more people than the entire state of North Carolina. Charlotte is only 2 million, which is roughly the same as Milwaukee. I'd say having a huge mega-region like Milwaukee-Chicago is quite a bit different than a city of 2 million or 9 million spread over an entire state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The Chicago-Milwaukee region is nowhere near as large as the state of North Carolina.

That was a really strange statement that can easily be refuted by looking at a map.
Obviously the land-area of NC is larger than a small portion of SE Wisconsin and NE Illinois, yoyobubba was referring to population size not physical size.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
It actually has a very noticeable international presence, of course not as much as the true majors. It's consistently named a gamma world city by GaWC
Actually, I believe 2008 was the very first year Minneapolis has appeared on that list.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times
Quote:
Obviously the land-area of NC is larger than a small portion of SE Wisconsin and NE Illinois, yoyobubba was referring to population size not physical size.
OK, I feel the need to defend myself here.

When a person follows the word "region" in quotations with the phrase "roughly the same size as North Carolina", I am under the impression that they are comparing the land area of the two places. So I felt the need to make a correction. They could have easily said "roughly the same population" and it would have been much more clear. (Oh, and the population ISN'T roughly the same, for the record. 2.3 million people is a huge difference).

I've seen much crazier statements made on this forum. Lets not act like I have trouble reading, folks.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:44 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
This doesn't make any sense. Chicagoland alone has slightly more people than the entire state of North Carolina. Charlotte is only 2 million, which is roughly the same as Milwaukee. I'd say having a huge mega-region like Milwaukee-Chicago is quite a bit different than a city of 2 million or 9 million spread over an entire state.

You need to go back a few posts prior to mine that "doesn't make any sense" and see what I was responding to...it REALLY didn't make any sense.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:44 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Actually, I believe 2008 was the very first year Minneapolis has appeared on that list.

No, it also made the previous list. GaWC Research Bulletin 5

Old 10-03-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
No, it also made the previous list. GaWC Research Bulletin 5
That's still not the same as being "consistently named a gamma world city" like you said previously.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Twin Cities. A lot, actually. I could easily see myself getting a job out there after I graduate from college, but, seriously, get over yourselves. You MSP guys are as bad as the people from Denver and Seattle, and you're quickly approaching the level of arrogance and smugness I thought could only demonstrated by the Bay Area/NYC folks. Minneapolis is a fine town, it's just not very diverse. So what? Why brag about your non-existent diversity when you have plenty of other things to brag about? And here's a thought, you could try not bragging about your city at all. Let it stand on its own merits like only truly great cities can.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:03 AM

55 posts, read 210,765 times
Oh the Midwest is great if you like corn and the smell of cow ****.

I do like the people there butI could live without the midwestern countryside... and that accent is like nails on a chalkboard. I love chicago.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:08 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
^ accent?? The Midwest is generally regarded as the area of the United States that has a neutral accent unless you're in select areas like northern Minn. or North Dakota.

I also grew up in Iowa, and the whole "farm smells" stereotype is pretty far overblown unless you're literally living in rural areas on farms. I grew up in a city of 100,000, and the only times I ever remember smelling anything close to being "farmy" was after a huge storm would blast through and blow the air around wildy for miles around. Maybe once ever year or two. We'd walk outside in shock and go - holy ****! Is that cow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.