Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 10:20 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times

Advertisements

It is boring and non-existent.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:28 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Holy Crap! I must live in the twilight zone if it is non-existent.

Boring? Definitely not where I am.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:06 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,580 times
It's the name man. Go with something less wishy washy like
Americas heartland. problem solved

Old 07-20-2009, 12:21 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Not to start an entirely other controversy, but I don't consider the Dakotas, Nebraska, or Kansas to be Midwestern. And even if they are, you'll still see that many areas of the Midwest are solidly blue, and very few areas solidly red. In any case, the map above shows that the Midwest as a whole is not socially conservative. Some parts are, many parts aren't.
About 1/3 of North Dakota is in the midwest, the far eastern third is a lot like Minnesota and Iowa. Minneapolis has a big influence on the eastern part of the state.

I don't even know how I would define ND politically, the state is conservative but with a state run bank, mill, and all democratic reps/senators it isn't as conservative as one may think.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:43 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
About 1/3 of North Dakota is in the midwest, the far eastern third is a lot like Minnesota and Iowa. Minneapolis has a big influence on the eastern part of the state.

I don't even know how I would define ND politically, the state is conservative but with a state run bank, mill, and all democratic reps/senators it isn't as conservative as one may think.
It is DFL country along with MN. (Democratic Farmer Labor) party.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:23 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
I never knew that.
It's my 2nd favorie region... Chicago, Minneapolis, and the great lakes! C'mon, it's better than the south at least.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:51 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It is DFL country along with MN. (Democratic Farmer Labor) party.
I would imagine Iowa falls into that category as well, as Iowa is liberal even in the rural areas, and its cities aren't that big. Not to mention, I thought the farmers in Iowa tend towards the left as well. In my book, that is why it is an Upper Midwestern state. Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio tend to be moderate to liberal in their cities..in some cases on the slightly conservative side (Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Springfield/Joplin/Branson)...but they are all definitely red in their rural areas. If Chicago were not the size that it is, Illinois would be a swing state just like Missouri and Ohio. Chicago being the size it is compacted with the fact that many other small cities lie in Northern Illinois, as well as its tendency towards the left is enough to make Illinois a blue state. Northern Illinois and Chicago are really more like Wisconsin than they are like the rest of Illinois. I would classify about 1/3 of Illinois as being in the Upper Midwest, Northern Indiana near the Michigan border, and Ohio near the Michigan border and along Lake Erie and up to 50 miles to the south.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:52 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
They've never been there before and they assume

1. It's flat
2. People are hicks
3. It's boring
4. The weather

Here are the myths debunked:

1. It's not all flat. There are plenty of high hills and bluffs. There are even mountains in Michigan.
2. Not everyone is a country hick - There are cities here you know!!!
3. It's not boring! Tons of stuff goes on here!!!
4. Grow some balls and put on a coat! If your that afraid of cold, then you don't know what you're missing with the 4 seasons.
Lived in Michigan my whole life, never heard of any mountains. I've done alot of camping and travel, and you're not the first person I've heard mention mountains in Michigan.

We have some hills but I can't recall any mountain in Michigan. The northern half of the lower peninsula and the UP ARE hilly and beautiful, though.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:22 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Lived in Michigan my whole life, never heard of any mountains. I've done alot of camping and travel, and you're not the first person I've heard mention mountains in Michigan.

We have some hills but I can't recall any mountain in Michigan. The northern half of the lower peninsula and the UP ARE hilly and beautiful, though.
Agreed! Born and raised in Michigan, never saw mountains until I went West. What we have are really tall hills that have the name "mountain" tacked on the end because they are the tallest thing around. Don't get me wrong, some are quite nice, and quite big; but not really "Mountains" with tall peaks above treeline.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:57 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I, along with the other 66 million people that live in the Midwest, do exist. Trust me. If we were bored, we would move somewhere else. We do have that option, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.