Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 06:27 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehStone View Post
The accent where they say "ruff" instead of roof, and "jahn" instead of bathroom or toilet. I realize not all mid westerners have that accent but some do. It's very hard on east coast ears.
Do you know what an accent entails? What you just described is not an accent.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:16 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
"Ruff" "Rowt" and "rutt" (roof, route, root) can definitely be heard in MN, Northern WI, and probably the U.P. Not everyone though, but I've definitely heard it.
I'm Minnesotan (born and raised in Minneapolis) and don't say "ruff" or "rutt' (makes me cringe), but do say "rowt," rhymes with "spout." (for "route," as in Route 66). I think I'm in the majority on that one in Minneapolis, but could be wrong. I also say "ant" for aunt, which seems to be in the (slight) minority in MN. "awnt" is a bit more popular, but it's close.

I don't say "melk" for milk and definitely do not say "rum" for room.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:01 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I'm Minnesotan (born and raised in Minneapolis) and don't say "ruff" or "rutt' (makes me cringe), but do say "rowt," rhymes with "spout." (for "route," as in Route 66). I think I'm in the majority on that one in Minneapolis, but could be wrong. I also say "ant" for aunt, which seems to be in the (slight) minority in MN. "awnt" is a bit more popular, but it's close.

I don't say "melk" for milk and definitely do not say "rum" for room.
Agreed! Rowt seems to be the one that is right on the list for the vast majority in the areas mentioned. Ant does seems popular in most of those places as well. I went to school in the UP, and have family and friends in Minnesota and WI. Never in all my travels through those areas have heard melk, rutt, ruff, used for milk, root, or roof. Western Michigan also uses Rowt and Ant, but not the others.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Funny, I've never been to a farm let alone a corn field! Hahahahaha.. are you serious bro? Like Pennsylvania isn't 90% rural and backcountry. I'm sorry, but your ignorance is astounding. Oh and in Ohio, 75% of the population lives in urbanized areas- - far from any farms. Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Toledo, Akron, etc are anything but rural.

UrbanOhio.com l Ohio's Ultimate Urban Site!

And I suggest you actually travel and become cultured before spewing nonsense again.

Yeah, once I thought about it I've actually only been on two farms in my entire life - and I grew up in Iowa for my first 22 years. The only people I ever met that grew up on farms were two girls who I actually knew from living in Chicago.

I moved to Chicago and when people heard I'm from Iowa I always got the "oh my god! Did you grow up on a farm? What was that like!?". I just laughed, told them I actually grew up in a metro area, and that contrary to popular belief, only 1 out of 20 people in Iowa actually lives on a farm. Everyone just thinks FARMS FARMS FARMS, but in reality a vast majority of the economy is driven by manufacturing, finance/real estate/insurance, government, healthcare and education services.

Agriculture is only 3%.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 10-04-2009 at 07:41 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 05:51 PM

37 posts, read 87,521 times
Interesting thread.

This Bear was born, raised, and still inhabits the Great Lakes area.....so some bias may leak through my post.....

Reason: Perception list that includes boring, flat, cold. The place your Grandmother lives and it still smells like mothballs.

Counterpunch: You can be bored anywhere on the planet. The midwest offers plenty for just about any taste, just look or ask.

Reason: Television programs......seems to this ole' guy that TV programs over the years have shown folks on the coasts as hip, city-dwellers......folks in the south (heavily stereotyped) as hicks.....folks in Texas as "rough and tumble".....folks in the midwest as: getting up, going to work, coming home. You know, normal.

Counterpunch: Yep.....normal.

Reason: Manufacturing, unions, big giant cars with fins. In the last 30 years manufacturing has invaded the southeast, moving wages in that part of the country ahead of the midwest. Unions caused all the trouble. Detroit took its' eye off the road and lost the auto-making race to foreign competition. These reasons create perceptions that the folks in the midwest are out of touch.

Counterpunch: Maybe partially correct. The union thing did create legasy costs that help create the auto manufacturer's crisis. Big giant cars with fins would be the rage again if the world political landscape would settle down and oil would and could be had without a fight. Not likely. Bias note: One of my first cars was a big giant DeSoto, with fins. Boy was it fast.

Reason: Weather and skimpy clothing. Folks in the northern climes have to bundle up part of the year. Folks in the sunshine states can wear skimpy clothing most of the year. Young people....those who drive the service economy......are more liberal about showing body stuff.

Counterpunch: Hmmmm.....I like skimpy.
_____

Bear

Old 10-09-2009, 09:42 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehStone View Post
The accent where they say "ruff" instead of roof, and "jahn" instead of bathroom or toilet. I realize not all mid westerners have that accent but some do. It's very hard on east coast ears.

And for the record, I think the Philly accent is nearly as irritating. It's just that mid west accent I almost have a physical reaction to.
I used to have a part-time job as one of those annoying telemarketers who call to see if you want to renew your lapsed magazine subscription.

The thing I remember about people in the midwest is that so many of them ended the conversation with "you bet". Used to drive me NUTS.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:08 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,413 times
I don't think many folks really dislike the midwest as much as they ignore it as fly over country. I enjoyed a visit to the Cuyahoga valley in Ohio a few years back. Pretty area, nice people, but with the US being so vast and their being so many diverse and interesting place to live and visit, it's easy to ignore.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:38 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
I don't think many folks really dislike the midwest as much as they ignore it as fly over country. I enjoyed a visit to the Cuyahoga valley in Ohio a few years back. Pretty area, nice people, but with the US being so vast and their being so many diverse and interesting place to live and visit, it's easy to ignore.
Your loss.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:46 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I grew up in the lower Midwest and grew to hate it. I prefer the upper Midwest much better if I was to move back to the area.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,855 times
I lived in IN, WI, OH, and MI for the first 25 years of my life. I've spent the last 5 years in Memphis.

I hated the cold & snow (but if it's all you've ever known, it's just normal). Not too fond of there's only one right way to do things, believe, worship, etc. MI did have some beautiful areas (more in the western/northern areas). I hated the darkness every winter. I mean, when the news counts how many days it's been since we've seen the sun it gets really depressing.

After living in the mid-south, I am most eager to move on. I love the warmer weather, but I find the humidity oppressive. The poverty of Memphis and the subtle (and not so subtle) racism of the South is amazing to me. I'm afraid to leave my family in this area for much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.