Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:30 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times

Advertisements

I just have to say, I would rather be cold than hot because when I'm cold, I can put more clothes on. When I'm hot, there's only so much I can take off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 08:33 AM

699 posts, read 611,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
you dont get sick because of cold weather... you get sick from viruses . More people die in the heat than from cold weather. Also the cold provides relief from allergies.
Being cold weakens your immune system, drys out your nasal cavities all of which make your body more susceptible to viruses and bacteria.

At the same time, the cold weather is harsh and it's harsh for all living things including bacteria. So a lot of bacteria is simply killed from the cold, but some survive and that's why up north your flu season corresponds with winter.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:46 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Being cold weakens your immune system, drys out your nasal cavities all of which make your body more susceptible to viruses and bacteria.
That's why humanity invented shelter thousands of years ago.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:52 AM

699 posts, read 611,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
That's why humanity invented shelter thousands of years ago.
Well, you have shelter in the north and your flu season is still wintertime, so it's not fully sufficient.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:12 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
i think you're exaggerating just a tiny bit here, don't you? I've never said that, I readily admit that I don't like to feel cold, and I don't like to be dressed in multiple layers either. However, I hate equally the feeling of having to wear less clothing to tolerate the outdoors temperatures and then freezing in an air conditioned home or building, which is often the case in warmer climates, or even here in the summertime.

I hate shivering and having to bundle up to go to the grocery store, but I hate equally getting into a sweltering car and being covered in a thin layer of sweat just walking from the car to into the grocery store. I think weather extremes either way are equally miserable. Since I live where I am happy and have a good job, family and friends, and a meaningful life, I choose to "suffer" (in the First World sense of the word) in the winter instead of in the summer. No big deal. What works for me doesn't work for you and vice versa.

I get tired of this whole attitude here on C-D that if someone states that he or she honestly does not mind living in a place that gets cold in the winter, it is implied that they are lying and are secretly miserable and envious of the people who live in a warmer climate. No two people are alike and no one has the right to tell a stranger on an internet forum how they feel about anything. How ludicrous.
I never implied that, though. And yeah I was exaggerating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
And in Philadelphia, during one brutal summer in the 90s, over 300 people died from heat.
No doubt the overwhelming majority of them were dehydrated.

75% of Americans May Suffer From Chronic Dehydration, According to Doctors
Quote:
Speaking personally drinking plenty of water doesn't change how heat make me feel.
Well, what you call "plenty" may still not be enough. When you are well hydrated, your body will feel noticeably cooler even in unusually high temps. The Texas summer of 2011 was a cakewalk for me, due to the fact that I consumed nearly a gallon of water almost every single day, and I'm not someone who really enjoys 100 degree weather.

I'm not saying it's wrong to prefer the cold, but let's just say that there's a reason Miami is more of a vacation destination than Chicago.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:20 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Every other northerner on this forum has regurgitated that line ad nauseum, and it's pretty ridiculous. If you can get down to shorts and flip flops but still be uncomfortable, you're most likely dehydrated. And as I said in my previous post, dehydration is the main cause of problems in the heat.

Staying comfortable in the cold requires that you have the resources needed for all of those layers and other methods of warming up. Many people do not have this. It's the cold weather that claims the lives of hundreds of homeless individuals every year.
Nope. You don't get to tell me how it is or that I'm wrong or how I should feel or even that I'm dehydrated. Do you know me? Are you me? Nope, you don't.

Get this - everyone's different. Everyone has different preferences. And I DO have the resources to stay warm, and I'm not homeless, so when I speak for myself, everyone else is irrelevant.

Not to mention, in NJ we don't just deal with heat. We deal with humidity. It's difficult to cool off in humidity. It's actually a fact that it is harder for your body to cool down in humidity because it's harder for the sweat to evaporate off your skin in moist, heavy air. Humidity can be stifling. I much prefer a dry heat or dry cold to a humid heat, which is common where I live.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Nope. You don't get to tell me how it is or that I'm wrong or how I should feel or even that I'm dehydrated. Do you know me? Are you me? Nope, you don't.

Get this - everyone's different. Everyone has different preferences. And I DO have the resources to stay warm, and I'm not homeless, so when I speak for myself, everyone else is irrelevant.

Not to mention, in NJ we don't just deal with heat. We deal with humidity. It's difficult to cool off in humidity. It's actually a fact that it is harder for your body to cool down in humidity because it's harder for the sweat to evaporate off your skin in moist, heavy air. Humidity can be stifling. I much prefer a dry heat or dry cold to a humid heat, which is common where I live.
You're the one who stated that the cold was safer than the heat, and that is false. Most of the illnesses or fatalities that come from heat can be easily avoided. The same is not true for the cold.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
You're the one who stated that the cold was safer than the heat, and that is false. Most of the illnesses or fatalities that come from heat can be easily avoided. The same is not true for the cold.
Please pay attention to what I actually said:

Quote:
As long as you're not out exposed in the elements in either heat or cold, without supplies of any kind, I think it's safer to be cold because in normal circumstances, warming up is easier than cooling down.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Please pay attention to what I actually said:
That's fine, but simply turning a blind eye to all those people who unwillingly die from cold exposure won't make it any less real. The cold is more deadly. Fact.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
That's fine, but simply turning a blind eye to all those people who unwillingly die from cold exposure won't make it any less real. The cold is more deadly. Fact.
Who said I'm turning a blind eye to anything? Why do you assume things? It's clear I was talking about something very specific. Don't make assumptions based on what I didn't say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.