Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:08 AM

822 posts, read 858,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Being cold weakens your immune system, drys out your nasal cavities all of which make your body more susceptible to viruses and bacteria.

At the same time, the cold weather is harsh and it's harsh for all living things including bacteria. So a lot of bacteria is simply killed from the cold, but some survive and that's why up north your flu season corresponds with winter.
I live in New England, havent had a cold in years and Ive never had the flu . People catch more in the cold weather because they are usually in close quarters .. has nothing to do with the actual temp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 10:16 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
I live in New England, havent had a cold in years and Ive never had the flu . People catch more in the cold weather because they are usually in close quarters .. has nothing to do with the actual temp.
Once school starts is when illnesses really spread. I think often kids are the culprits. In the summer, illness is less likely to spread because people are off of school, taking vacations from work, some careers see the whole summer off (teachers, professors, other school workers). Exactly, the cold doesn't make you sick, it's just that winter in general creates good conditions for stuff to spread. Then it's the holidays and people are traveling everywhere, seeing friends and family, spreading the germs. Flu is widespread even in states with warm winters during those months.

I rarely if ever got sick in the summer as a kid. But each year, within the first couple weeks of school, I would catch a cold - even in warm, still summer September.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:20 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
During the winter months people spend more time inside sharing germs, that's why the illness problems exist , that and physical over work and exhaustion break down the body and make it susceptible.
Direct sunlight helps to kill germs and bacteria during the summer, but winter months preserve them .
ideally if you get plenty of rest and take you vitamins especially C and lots of liquids generally you'll do better .Stay away from sugar and artificial sweeteners and hi corn fructose .
Honey and agave are great
During the winter ,in snow country I take a shot of cider vinegar for a few days and that seems to help my circulation and make me more resistant to colds and flu.
If I delay doing something about symptoms ,it's a much harder fight to over come the problems. seconds count.
I love all the seasons but winter is the best , even with power outages it brings people together and they tend to help one another .
I almost never would shovel out my drive way (it was dirt) made more sense to pack it down and keep the mud out side .
Sometimes during the storm I'd get in the truck and drive in and out packing the whole thing down again and again.
During the night I'd cover my truck cab with a heavy shrink wrap material used for boats and put a rough service light bulb under the hood to keep things warm and on that old "58" cheve with 40 wt oil it needed all the help I could give it.
I'd cover the truck at work too, and be the first one off the lot, while every one else is scraping of their windshields or trying to get their key in the door lock.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:01 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Well, you have shelter in the north and your flu season is still wintertime, so it's not fully sufficient.
Flu season is in winter everywhere, including Miami. Not sure what your point is?

Old 01-20-2016, 11:20 AM

Many illnesses are seasonal, and it's not just winter. Summer diseases include mosquito and tick-borne illnesses (west nile, Lyme, etc). Stomach viruses, bacteria, and parasites can and do spread in pools/water parks and even the ocean can contaminate you. Summer camps and public pools are common spreaders of viruses and bacteria. Strep throat, stomach issues, even summer colds. Also food poisoning is quite common when food is left out in the heat at barbecues and things like that. One common culprit is potato or macaroni salad. Can't forget about poison ivy/oak/and sumac. Truly awful and easy to spread if you don't wash the oil off you right away. It can even spread thanks to your pets. There's swimmer's ear and ear infections from going in the water.

Both hot and cold weather bring their fair share of not very fun illnesses or ailments. Especially if you live in a four season climate. I love walking in the woods by my house in the fall/winter but I avoid it in the summer due to ticks (I know this is an issue all year but the dense vegetation makes it easier for them to hide and get on you) and poison ivy.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:33 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
1. About getting sick in winter. Are we grouping LA as a climate that doesn't get cold? Great. We are. I know we are. Ok well why don't all of you go to LA for a winter. I guarantee you you will see PLENTY of sick people!! People in LA do get sick in winter. We have the flu season there just like everyone else does. It might not be as bad as some other places in the country, but trust me, it can get bad! Another factor, though, is that LA doesn't take public transit. NYC, Boston, DC, Philly, Chicago, etc. a lot of people take public transit and just in general are in closer proximity to other people. Could that have something to do with people in the north seeming sicker than people in the south? Nobody takes transit in the south really. But the main point I'm making is that, yes, LA does get a bad flu season just like everyone else. I'd say for a good 10-15 years of my life straight, I had a stomach virus ON Christmas Day and skipped many many Christmas dinners because of it. And there are plenty of sick people at Christmas parties and Christmas dinners in LA.

2. Snow days. These are great! After moving from LA, I didn't know how cool they are. I don't have class today

Old 01-20-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
1. About getting sick in winter. Are we grouping LA as a climate that doesn't get cold? Great. We are. I know we are. Ok well why don't all of you go to LA for a winter. I guarantee you you will see PLENTY of sick people!! People in LA do get sick in winter. We have the flu season there just like everyone else does. It might not be as bad as some other places in the country, but trust me, it can get bad! Another factor, though, is that LA doesn't take public transit. NYC, Boston, DC, Philly, Chicago, etc. a lot of people take public transit and just in general are in closer proximity to other people. Could that have something to do with people in the north seeming sicker than people in the south? Nobody takes transit in the south really. But the main point I'm making is that, yes, LA does get a bad flu season just like everyone else. I'd say for a good 10-15 years of my life straight, I had a stomach virus ON Christmas Day and skipped many many Christmas dinners because of it. And there are plenty of sick people at Christmas parties and Christmas dinners in LA.

2. Snow days. These are great! After moving from LA, I didn't know how cool they are. I don't have class today
Last spring semester, school was canceled for me every Monday until like March (a private NYC college). We just kept getting late weekend storms and they would cancel Monday classes. It was pretty bad, actually, in the long run because midterms were pushed to early April by many professors (final exams are the very beginning of May) but at the moment it was great. And it was all okay in the end!

Old 01-20-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Last spring semester, school was canceled for me every Monday until like March (a private NYC college). We just kept getting late weekend storms and they would cancel Monday classes. It was pretty bad, actually, in the long run because midterms were pushed to early April by many professors (final exams are the very beginning of May) but at the moment it was great. And it was all okay in the end!
We had a week straight of snow days last year here in Louisville! Wasn't much snow, really, but Kentucky has no idea what they're doing in the snow. You'd think this was Alabama with how horribly unprepared they are to clear snow! I guess they forget that it snows here every.single.year...

Also I've never been to Austin, but a friend of mine from West Virginia moved there during the summer and he can't believe the size of the bugs and the quantities down there. The only conclusion we came to is that they never have a chance to die off there because it's always warm enough. I'm talking spiders that looked to be at least half a foot long crawling through his backyard. Yeah. No thanks. I actually have real arachnophobia. If there was a real true city on earth that didn't have spiders but never ever got a summer, I would trade off summer for never seeing a spider for the rest of my life. I know Miami and Tampa are known for having giant bugs too. And Arizona has large scorpions. I'll take the mosquitoes in summer over checking my shoes for scorpions or killing spiders all over the house the size of babies.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:54 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Well, what you call "plenty" may still not be enough. When you are well hydrated, your body will feel noticeably cooler even in unusually high temps. The Texas summer of 2011 was a cakewalk for me, due to the fact that I consumed nearly a gallon of water almost every single day, and I'm not someone who really enjoys 100 degree weather.

I'm not saying it's wrong to prefer the cold, but let's just say that there's a reason Miami is more of a vacation destination than Chicago.
Not for me isn't! Lol

We are beating a dead horse now. Since you are not living with my body, it seems quite presumptive to say that dehydration is the only explanation as to why I, and some others, depise hot weather.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Not for me isn't! Lol

We are beating a dead horse now. Since you are not living with my body, it seems quite presumptive to say that dehydration is the only explanation as to why I, and some others, depise hot weather.
If I were sweating, doesn't that defeat the logic that I'm dehydrated? Idk really. I don't understand science at all. Just wondering though.

But for real, getting into a car that feels like an oven and sticking to your seat and having your thighs and back sweat against the seat and the steering wheel being too hot to touch and having to wear suits to work and sweating through them and just all that omg I'm not ready for it again now. Looking out the window at the snow and being so glad that when I go out, I don't have to worry about coming home a sweaty mess because the heat index is pushing 110.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.