Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 06:22 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I will gladly pigeon hole my home state away from its neighbors. Sorry, but from my experiences in "The South", to say Florida is Southern is just an insult in my mind. And there seems to be an endless onslaught of Southerners on this board (none of whom live in Florida, many who have probably never visited the state) who want to pigeon hole The Sunshine State into something that it isn't. Sorry, I just can't sit there and watch it.
Prepare to be insulted then...Florida IS the South, and your aversion to everything southern makes it that much more enjoyable. Do you think you're the only one who knows anything about Florida? I lived there too I'm sorry to say. You're just lucky we will even include you in this great region, but we have to because of geography. It's pathetic that you're so determined to place Florida above the South. I won't put the state down any further just because of you because there is more to Florida than one bitter, lonely person. Your inability to meet people in one of the friendliest cities I have ever seen is evidence of this.

The beaches and the winter weather are Florida's main redeeming factors and are both amazing. There are some pretty amazing people and cities there too, just like everywhere else, but it's certainly not above other places in its region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 06:25 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
This thread is called "relocating to the south need info", and was started by a irish guy who was looking for a nice place to live in georgia south carolina or north florida where you could hunt and fish and be around nice people and like he said

" I also like the southern culture a lot, so that would be a plus as long as the place would be welcoming to an outsider like myself "

Happiness is close has turned this thread into his negative and narcissistic complaints about the south and it may just be probably more from the fact unhappiness has horrible manners and treats people poorly. Just work on your manners and be nicer to people . If you dont think florida is the south than why are you even in this thread? My cousin is gay and lives in Tampa and loves it there for all the restaurants and nightlife, why dont you think about there, its a few hours from naples. My cousin lived in Atlanta and loved it there too and I am sure Atlanta is higher rated by any gay magazine than most of florida.

Jacksonville is the south and if a gay person alienates other gays in Atlanta , Jacksonville is not the place to be, dont get me wrong, for the original poster, I actually love jacksonville and most of florida is very southern, I was just in the sea islands and amelia island.

I love all the sea islands in the south ( hilton head, st simons Amelia Island) and despite this negative happiness person, florida is very very southern and you would love it. Any place with spanish moss is very southern in my opinion

The original poster who started this thread might like St simons, Jacksonville, hilton head, myrtle beach any low country south in georgia or south carolina or north florida .hilton head, any of the sea islands all are very southern and very nice people

Amelia island Florida

I lived in Tampa for many years actually. I kind of consider it a second home. Its a fantastic city and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to experience quintessential Florida, and not Southern culture. You are entitled to your opinions. But moss growing on trees doesn't make a place Southern. People are what makes something Southern.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:27 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
The original poster mentioned being blue collar and was looking for less expensive places, I love myrtle beach. A ton to do, very nice people and gorgeous beaches and scenery all near there Tons of great fishing salt and fresh water . Alot of fun if you have kids too, you wont get bored if you are single either. Murells inlet is close and not bad price wise at all. Great way of life living near the coast, you can hunt and fish salt and fresh water

Old 07-27-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I lived in Tampa for many years actually. I kind of consider it a second home. Its a fantastic city and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to experience quintessential Florida, and not Southern culture. You are entitled to your opinions. But moss growing on trees doesn't make a place Southern. People are what makes something Southern.
I have many friends in Tampa and love that city...it's VERY southern.

Your idea of southern is just wacko. You really need to learn more about your region.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I have many friends in Tampa and love that city...it's VERY southern.

Your idea of southern is just wacko. You really need to learn more about your region.
Go talk to your friends about that then. Tampa was built upon a Spanish/Cuban foundation, with Northerners flowing in mass starting in the 1920s.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:39 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
Quote:
I am not originally from the south but I find them to have much better manners and alot nicer people , like alot of midwesterners. Manners and gentility are what makes people southern in my opinion, they had an aristocracy that set good manners for the region, most regions had no aristocracy , but you really are in the wrong thread with all this negative stuff about the south though.

you just need to try and be a better human being and less narcissistic and negative and put your rude yankee upbringing in naples behind you, you will love jacksonville and amelia island and north florida if you try.

the guy who started the thread was asking about the south and nice beaches and places to fish and hunt and nice people , not naples florida or washington dc metro area, baltimore, boston,philly etc

Last edited by floridanative10; 07-27-2015 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I am not originally from the south but I find them to have much better manners and alot nicer people , like alot of midwesterners. Manners and gentility are what makes people southern in my opinion, they had an aristocracy that set good manners for the region, most regions had no aristocracy , but you really are in the wrong thread with all this negative stuff about the south though.

you just need to try and be a better human being and less narcissistic and negative and put your rude yankee upbringing in naples behind you, you will love jacksonville and amelia island and north florida if you try.

the guy who started the thread was asking about the south and nice beaches and places to fish and hunt and nice people , not naples florida or washington dc metro area, baltimore, boston,philly etc
It looks like happiness is not as close as some people think. LOL! You can't be THAT negative and happy in my experience.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It looks like happiness is not as close as some people think. LOL! You can't be THAT negative and happy in my experience.
You know, given where you live I am hardly surprised by your immaturity. That type of behavior was rampant throughout Atlanta. But I actually have a lot of good things going for me right now. And the happiness is close is related to my optimism regarding some big plans I have in the Jacksonville area.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:03 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
You know, given where you live I am hardly surprised by your immaturity. That type of behavior was rampant throughout Atlanta.
You might not have liked what he said, but it has nothing to do with his maturity level--nor is that a characteristic of any city at large.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The most you could say is that this only applies to a very small subset of the overall population. Although the gay population in Atlanta is relatively large, it's nowhere near large enough to serve as an adequate sample size for the general population. As you yourself noted, Atlanta is an oasis in the South for the gay community so you'll have more lopsidedness in that population. Personally, I ran across a ton of native Midwesterners when I lived there, especially folks from Michigan.

I'm a born and bred Southerner and know tons of others and we don't incessantly pry into your personal life, whatever that's supposed to mean anyway. But okay.

I won't even touch the "typical southerners have a look" thing.
I'm with you.

I've lived in the South for most of my life, in nearly every southern state, and people are varied in looks, dress, deportment, customs, etc from Yorktown, VA to Austin, TX. Sheeze. Even the accents are vastly different from one region of the south to another.

When I go to Atlanta, I seem to notice a bunch of Texans. To each his own. It's like not noticing how many pregnant women there are till you're pregnant yourself, then suddenly they're everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.