Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:37 PM

9 posts, read 20,913 times

Advertisements

I am shocked...

A thread on BEER, and not one Canadian post yet??? Well I guess then I'll break the ice.

It goes without saying that a countries national breweries are NOT the best brews. So you can throw Labatt and Molson's out the window. Here in southern Ontario, some popular local beers include Sleeman's (brewed in Guelph ON), Moosehead, Rickard's RED, Steamwhistle Pilsner and Alexander Keiths (the pride of Nova Scotia).

The usual international powerhouses of Heineken, Bud, Guinness, Corona, Stella are also very popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 01:13 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granturismo View Post
I am shocked...

A thread on BEER, and not one Canadian post yet??? Well I guess then I'll break the ice.

It goes without saying that a countries national breweries are NOT the best brews. So you can throw Labatt and Molson's out the window. Here in southern Ontario, some popular local beers include Sleeman's (brewed in Guelph ON), Moosehead, Rickard's RED, Steamwhistle Pilsner and Alexander Keiths (the pride of Nova Scotia).

The usual international powerhouses of Heineken, Bud, Guinness, Corona, Stella are also very popular.

And all these beers are dirt cheap by Canadian standards. Word on Keiths, only thing anyone drinks in NS other than coldshots

Old 02-20-2008, 11:10 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granturismo View Post
I am shocked...

They sell Sleeman's at my local liquor store. Not really my taste, same for Moosehead. Keith's, now you've got something! Can't buy it locally though to my knowledge.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:02 PM

37 posts, read 133,347 times
As a transplant from Toronto, I've been searching high and low for A. Keith's but all I am finding (other than Blue and Canadian) is Moosehead.Kansas City is currently Keith-less.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:19 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
In Rochester you'll find Genny and Labatts at any hole in the wall bar. I'm starting to see lots of brooklyn beers pop up at hole in the wall bars too.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:29 PM

2,723 posts, read 6,109,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I'm starting to see lots of brooklyn beers pop up at hole in the wall bars too.
Brooklyn Brewery makes fine brew. Far better than Boston's Harpoon IMO.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
I LOVE the Unibroue beers from Chambly, Quebec... by FAR my favorite. Most of the beers are brewed in a Belgian style and "on the lees" meaning that they contain yeast sediment which allows them to age VERY well in a dark place at room temperature. My favorite brews from them are "La Fin Du Monde" and their "Maudite" brew. They also put out a Quatro-centennial beer in 2008 that's good too (I have one of the 750ml cork tops aging as we speak).

Portland, ME is known for having a bunch of mircrobrews, but (IMHO) most of them are close to terrible (Shipyard, Geary's, Sebago, etc). Gritty's makes some O.K. beers and Allagash is good, but a bit pricey for what you get (imported Unibroue beers are similar in style yet still cheaper).

I prefer the Massachusetts brews of Hibernia (New Bedford), Harpoon (Boston- and there are a few that are miserable, their IPA and "raspberry wheat are AWFUL), and I LOVE Buzzard's Bay (Westport) brews.

Obv. Bud and Coors (and Miller) are popular, but so is Blue Moon (which is, I THINK, a Coors product, anyone know for sure?), Stella Artois, and Heinekin (sp?).

I do enjoy "Full Moon" the seasonal brew from Blue Moon too.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:34 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Yea, I love their beer. I've always had it at more normal type bars and was surprised to see it popping up in hole in the wall neighborhood bars.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:40 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,645 times
Harpoon in boston!!!!!

and Naragansett in RI

Old 02-05-2009, 02:09 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,114 times
Big surprise.........Bud Light
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.