Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 12:31 PM

29 posts, read 26,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I should have asked that about the Wikipedia link you posted.

You asked "Which metro area has the highest concentration of corporate headquarters?"

Not all corporate headquarters are Fortune 500 or 1000, but obviously a Fortune 1000 list is going to be more inclusive. And since there is no list of metro areas with the most amount of all corporate headquarters (at least that I know of), a Fortune 1000 list is going to be as good as it gets. So the link I posted supports my answer.
I like it.

My first guess was for NYC, but then I found the wiki link and was surprised.
I am biased towards DFW. I am sure the list for DFW needs to be updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 12:35 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,210 times
Quote:

You asked "Which metro area has the highest concentration of corporate headquarters?"

Not all corporate headquarters are Fortune 500 or 1000, but obviously a Fortune 1000 list is going to be more inclusive. And since there is no list of metro areas with the most amount of all corporate headquarters (at least that I know of), a Fortune 1000 list is going to be as good as it gets. So the link I posted supports my answer.
I think this list is pretty good and is a good indication of which metros can support a large corporation and are thriving for the purposes of Amazon's search, as well as which metros punch their own weight. This list is not totally up to date though, since I noticed that Conagra and Catapillar amongst others are not in the Chicago list. Thanks for posting a complete list of metros, instead of having people cherry pick the towns they are rooting for on this particular subject.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:37 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaholic View Post
I like it.

My first guess was for NYC, but then I found the wiki link and was surprised.
I am biased towards DFW. I am sure the list for DFW needs to be updated.
Your first guess is still correct, but that doesn't mean DFW doesn't have a ton of corporate headquarters offices because it does.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:25 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
Quote:

To be fair, Java's link claims that DFW has the highest concentration of corporate headquarters in the country. I mean, it has no citation so take the info with a grain of salt, but technically his link addresses his question precisely.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
To be fair, Java's link claims that DFW has the highest concentration of corporate headquarters in the country. I mean, it has no citation so take the info with a grain of salt, but technically his link addresses his question precisely.
You're right; I didn't read the first part of the article. But as you alluded to, without any supporting evidence, it's just a claim.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:03 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,246,629 times
Seems CHICAGO is next for Amazon reps to visit more sights this week .... as one at least was visited back in November too.

Amazon team headed to Chicago next week to inspect potential HQ2 sites - Chicago Tribune

The Chicago bid proposed 10 potential sites, including some that would combine and connect buildings and land controlled by multiple owners. One such option would combine space in the vacant old main post office.... (under restoration and development to be ready for Spring 2019), a redeveloped Union Station and the 110-story Willis Tower (getting a total street-level makeover).

Big land sites include;
- 62 acres along the Chicago River in the South Loop, which Related Midwest plans to develop that started;
- 70+ acres of riverfront land near Lincoln Park and Bucktown neighborhoods , which developer Sterling Bay is calling .... Lincoln Yards;
- 37 acres along the river between downtown and the North Side, owned by Tribune Media;
- the former Michael Reese Hospital site and other land south of McCormick Place Convention Center and new hotel, which a team led by Farpoint Development and Draper and Kramer is redeveloping.

The two suburban options are the Oak Brook campus that McDonald’s is set to vacate as it moves its headquarters to Chicago, and land on the longtime Motorola Solutions campus in Schaumburg.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:57 AM

29 posts, read 26,022 times
I like Chicago’s chances, Tough city to beat.

I am curious on people’s thoughts with the city of Fort Worth as a HQ2 contender.

The city is included in DFW's Amazon pitch and to no surprise; no one has focused on Fort Worth’s chances of landing HQ2.

Locally, it has a population of 854,113 people. On the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex it’s about 2 million, and is part of the ~7.4 million metro area.

There is free downtown transit, the Molly, and the city is expanding the central core, Panther Island, just to name a few items.

https://trinityrivervision.org/panther-island/

Yes, there are plenty of arguments against Fort Worth. The city of Fort Worth is growing. I know it is considered red, but the city leaders would be happy for any company to move in and take XTO's place and prevent the city from becoming a suburb to Dallas.

Fort Worth changing approach to attract business | Fort Worth Star-Telegram
https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...las-amazon-hq2
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...owntown-dallas

Old 03-18-2018, 07:37 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaholic View Post
I like Chicago’s chances, Tough city to beat.

I am curious on people’s thoughts with the city of Fort Worth as a HQ2 contender.

The city is included in DFW's Amazon pitch and to no surprise; no one has focused on Fort Worth’s chances of landing HQ2.

Locally, it has a population of 854,113 people. On the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex it’s about 2 million, and is part of the ~7.4 million metro area.

There is free downtown transit, the Molly, and the city is expanding the central core, Panther Island, just to name a few items.

https://trinityrivervision.org/panther-island/

Yes, there are plenty of arguments against Fort Worth. The city of Fort Worth is growing. I know it is considered red, but the city leaders would be happy for any company to move in and take XTO's place and prevent the city from becoming a suburb to Dallas.

Fort Worth changing approach to attract business | Fort Worth Star-Telegram
https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...las-amazon-hq2
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...owntown-dallas
Fort Worth's national reputation, even though it is a large city in a dynamic region is Meh. It does have the leftover reputation of being a cowboy town with a cheap cost of living, and a clean but sterile and empty downtown that doesn't wow or separate itself from anywhere. The only thing that is has it that is one of 10 regional centers for the Federal Government, but not much else except for a place for overflow growth from Dallas.

If Amazon is making a second visit to Chicago and exploring their options, it means Chicago has a good chance. The 10 options presented for the most part are outstanding, and downtown has a lot of momentum right now. As Dave PA mentioned, just in the tight area triangle of Willis Tower, the old post office and Union Station there is massive redevelopment, and with the booming West Loop nearby, would be a good fit for the company. No other city on the list has this kind of dynamic going on.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:58 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Fort Worth's national reputation, even though it is a large city in a dynamic region is Meh. It does have the leftover reputation of being a cowboy town with a cheap cost of living, and a clean but sterile and empty downtown that doesn't wow or separate itself from anywhere. The only thing that is has it that is one of 10 regional centers for the Federal Government, but not much else except for a place for overflow growth from Dallas.

If Amazon is making a second visit to Chicago and exploring their options, it means Chicago has a good chance. The 10 options presented for the most part are outstanding, and downtown has a lot of momentum right now. As Dave PA mentioned, just in the tight area triangle of Willis Tower, the old post office and Union Station there is massive redevelopment, and with the booming West Loop nearby, would be a good fit for the company. No other city on the list has this kind of dynamic going on.

I would argue that the Philly locations have a pretty similar dynamic to those in Chicago

is one better/worse maybe but I think the developments in Philly at worst have comparable situations (and better transit connectivity especially with SY's and the 30th Street development even as the Chicago one has great transit, the location in Philly is actually nearly on top (one seat rides) of every (two subway lines require one transfer, 20 regional rail, 5 subway-surface LRT, subways, NJT, Amtrak, Acela single seat rail rides to PHL, EWR, and BWI) major rail transit line in Philly and the region plus on top of the Amtrak NE corridor lines.

https://www.som.com/projects/philade..._district_plan

Schuylkill Yards - Where Ideas Converge

uCity Square – A Community Fueled by Connectivity

http://ucitysquare.com/wp-content/th.../site-plan.pdf

The Navy Yard | A Campus Built for Business Growth | Philadelphia, PA

https://www.pennovation.upenn.edu/about-the-works#page

https://www.facilities.upenn.edu/sit...uture_2006.pdf

Last edited by kidphilly; 03-18-2018 at 09:12 AM..

Old 03-18-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.