Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2022, 11:17 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea Banmanrill sounds like most of the Boston artists. Many of these Boston artist, like Wave Capone and SAOBD Shizz and BoriRock are in Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Bronx every month- click these hyperlinks to see what im saying. Probably biting.

That Lil Uzi song i first heard just now onn 97.1 as I drove through new york last week. It played on the Boston radio a lot too. Haven't heard it in Bmore.

The Zumpy song would be better with less singing if they just let it rock as more of a club song.

But yes I've definitely heard many NY artists go with the drill-club fusion and the late 90s and early 2000s samples. I prefer that over the Brooklyn drill weve had the last few years.

]
Yeah the Bronx drill music tends to be more dance/sample focused with the Brooklyn drill being more influenced by UK Drill sonically.

I don't ever hear NY/NJ/Up north music in Maryland ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 11:40 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Yeah the Bronx drill music tends to be more dance/sample focused with the Brooklyn drill being more influenced by UK Drill sonically.

I don't ever hear NY/NJ/Up north music in Maryland ever.
Yea I don’t think the Brooklyn drill really took off in Boston. There was drill but it sounded more Chicago than UK/Brooklyn imo. I think people in Boston see NYC as big bro. They’re familiar and comfortable with them…where as they look at Chicago and Detroit with more awe, more mystique.

And in general people from inner cities of New England are more in tune with the Bronx and Harlem than Queens and Brooklyn: whereas my gf (from Jersey city) says she rarely ever north of midtown I. Her life. Maybe 2/3 times. It’s typically the inverse in MA/CT/RI. When I went to NYC just now I stayed in Allerton, Bronx right off the 2 train near the BX zoo/Pelham Parkway Because outside of Manhattan the Bronx is the borough I’ve been most familiar with throughout life.

Old 12-02-2022, 12:16 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Quote:
Yea I don’t think the Brooklyn drill really took off in Boston. There was drill but it sounded more Chicago than UK/Brooklyn imo. I think people in Boston see NYC as big bro. They’re familiar and comfortable with them…where as they look at Chicago and Detroit with more awe, more mystique.

And in general people from inner cities of New England are more in tune with the Bronx and Harlem than Queens and Brooklyn: whereas my gf (from Jersey city) says she rarely ever north of midtown I. Her life. Maybe 2/3 times. It’s typically the inverse in MA/CT/RI. When I went to NYC just now I stayed in Allerton, Bronx right off the 2 train near the BX zoo/Pelham Parkway Because outside of Manhattan the Bronx is the borough I’ve been most familiar with throughout life.
Interesting, and make sense geographically. For Central Jersey, we have most contact with Manhattan, Brooklyn and Staten Island. I've been to the Bronx like three times.

Old 12-02-2022, 12:52 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Interesting, and make sense geographically. For Central Jersey, we have most contact with Manhattan, Brooklyn and Staten Island. I've been to the Bronx like three times.
One of my hood buddies at Trinity was from the Bronx but attended Brunswick school in act. The whole New England Thru way, Dominican dominance, hilly architecture, prep schools it all ties to New England. Brooklyn Staten and Queens all have that Jersey style flat suburbia featured predominately a lot of those duplex houses and Bayonne boxes. Things that don’t exist north of the east river.

That 1 dude from Boston (Malden lol) but swears he’s from New York (the Bronx): https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ck_G7...d=MWI4MTIyMDE=

Old 12-03-2022, 01:42 AM

376 posts, read 209,929 times
Here's a couple of local West Coast remixes of YG's bompton instrumental back in 2013. That beat was tough when it was released.

Blood remix

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5GJDfS9Bo9k

Crip remix

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_qI-D6DfSh4

Old 12-03-2022, 07:16 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
Quote:
I'll never forget...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4AsDN5YN5k

although this budget is terrible and the song is uncreative af. I really did like the griminess and the beat a little bit.
You pulled out some under-under ground stuff I never heard of this. Lol

Sounds like something you'd hear on those early madden games.

Old 12-03-2022, 01:19 PM

'Young Bouls' in Philly are starting to use UK/NYC Drill beats. Definitely see more this year than 2 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVncRId_4IQ

Still think we're at our peak when we use our own beats though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9lOif1bURA

Old 12-03-2022, 02:04 PM

376 posts, read 209,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
'Young Bouls' in Philly are starting to use UK/NYC Drill beats. Definitely see more this year than 2 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVncRId_4IQ

Still think we're at our peak when we use our own beats though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9lOif1bURA

Yeah Philly is better off sticking with it's own sound and vibe. Ironically New York started hip hop but lost their own style since the 90's. They are really the only place that's known for transforming into whatever style they believe is cool, so that's their real style now.
Imagine if New York made "modern" hip hop music that sounds like what they had in the 70s, 80s etc. That would be their real distinct sound. If Philly starts being like NY doing the UK drill type sounds, they just become copiers of the copiers lol...

Old 12-03-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Yeah Philly is better off sticking with it's own sound and vibe. Ironically New York started hip hop but lost their own style since the 90's. They are really the only place that's known for transforming into whatever style they believe is cool, so that's their real style now.
Imagine if New York made "modern" hip hop music that sounds like what they had in the 70s, 80s etc. That would be their real distinct sound. If Philly starts being like NY doing the UK drill type sounds, they just become copiers of the copiers lol...
I don’t know if you heard the song but they were name dropping dead rivals every bar. They’re either rapping over NY or Detroit beats while dissing the dead like Chicago rappers. There’s no identity amongst the younger rappers right now. Philly use to be a trend setting city now it’s a copy cat city. You have a few of them calling each other v.Roy and dropping the rakes. It’s sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.